Pete Wild

Just now, Handsy said:

If he’s got another job offer lined up good luck to him  he deserves a steady and safer job  than working  for the Lemsagams thanks for stepping in pete  and good luck in the future 

Yeah this for me too. Never forget the great day he gave us at Fulham and that dance. Just hope he can look back and be proud. Hopefully no bitterness. 

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oldham Athletic Football Club can announce that Pete Wild has decided to leave the club due to personal reasons.

The club would like to place on record a special thanks to Pete for his time and efforts recently as Head Coach, as well as his first spell in caretaker charge earlier in the 2018/19 season which included the memorable FA Cup victory at Fulham, in addition to his excellent work with the academy setup over the years.

On the departure, Owner Abdallah Lemsagam said: “Pete worked extremely hard for this club of which I am grateful for, but came to me today saying he wants to spend some time away from football.

“He’s a great guy, I’m sad to see him go and would’ve liked him to stay with the club but I respect his decision and wish him well for the future.”

An update on the new management team will be made in due course.

Could be he has had a better offer and Marco is a little peeved he has shown disloyalty like all the others.  I mean how long was he supposed to manage the first team and the academy?  I also suspect it would be a little difficult to take a backward step so moving on was always likely if something else turned up.

He did well for us in the most difficult of circumstances.  Thanks Pete!

I’m really happy for him. I’d actually rather see him get a good opportunity elsewhere, at a club with a bit more stability and more ambition. Whether it’s being a manager or a youth coach. The guy fully deserves it. 

He could have stayed here and then found himself out on his arse come September. Easy choice for him to make if he’s had another offer and one I fully agree with him taking. Good luck in the future Pete.

Let's be honest - who, in their right mind, would want to be associated with this football club at the moment. We have reached the lowest point in decades.

One of my main issues with the owner is his PR/communication. I`m not actually interested in his ongoing dialogue with the Trust (it's like drawing bloody teeth) - I want him to communicate with ALL the fans via various media sources - if he has to hire a PR guy - get on with it - at present the fans and the owner seem more far removed than under any owner I can remember in my lifetime.

Sort it out Mr L - steady the bloody ship and let us know what your plan is for the future PLEASE.

Don't get this to be massively strange. Was he ever even appointed as official manager, he was put in charge to take us to the end of the season which he's done.

It sounds as per the statement he's decided to leave, but apart from that even if AL had decided not to give him the full time gig, I was not expecting him to and glad he hasn't. He's had a good season in what hasn't been an easy season. I still feel somehow with a bit of experience could have got that team (not sure what we'll have next year) up towards the top of the league. Bunn and Wild had us hovering around the top half and both were inexperienced. 

A John Sheridan, David Moyes, Brian Little, Brian Talbot or Ronnie Moore like would have had that side in the top 7 I'm pretty certain of. 

12 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Let's be honest - who, in their right mind, would want to be associated with this football club at the moment. We have reached the lowest point in decades.

One of my main issues with the owner is his PR/communication. I`m not actually interested in his ongoing dialogue with the Trust (it's like drawing bloody teeth) - I want him to communicate with ALL the fans via various media sources - if he has to hire a PR guy - get on with it - at present the fans and the owner seem more far removed than under any owner I can remember in my lifetime.

Sort it out Mr L - steady the bloody ship and let us know what your plan is for the future PLEASE.

You were all over the trust after your meeting the other week. Quickly turned judging by recent posts. No 2nd date with Andy? 😂

7 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Don't get this to be massively strange. Was he ever even appointed as official manager, he was put in charge to take us to the end of the season which he's done.

It sounds as per the statement he's decided to leave, but apart from that even if AL had decided not to give him the full time gig, I was not expecting him to and glad he hasn't. He's had a good season in what hasn't been an easy season. I still feel somehow with a bit of experience could have got that team (not sure what we'll have next year) up towards the top of the league. Bunn and Wild had us hovering around the top half and both were inexperienced. 

A John Sheridan, David Moyes, Brian Little, Brian Talbot or Ronnie Moore like would have had that side in the top 7 I'm pretty certain of. 

You don’t think it massively strange that a lad who is a lifelong Latics fan, who has already stated he was working on his plans for next season, leaves his job as first team or youth boss “to spend some time away from football”? 

When are you lot gonna realise that not only are the owner and his brother a pair of meddling pricks, they are lying meddling pricks!! 

1 minute ago, danoafc said:

You don’t think it massively strange that a lad who is a lifelong Latics fan, who has already stated he was working on his plans for next season, leaves his job as first team or youth boss “to spend some time away from football”? 

When are you lot gonna realise that not only are the owner and his brother a pair of meddling pricks, they are lying meddling pricks!! 

What's changed in the weeks since he said he was planning for next season? I imagine he already knew what AL was like...

1 minute ago, danoafc said:

What I meant was it's not a massive surprise he's left.  

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

What's changed in the weeks since he said he was planning for next season? I imagine he already knew what AL was like...

Scholes said “no meddling?” to which he agreed, and then went back on his word. Players offered contracts behind Scholes back for next season as far as I understand. Scholes leaves.

Wild takes the job, starts to lay his plans for next season, assuming he’ll be given a budget and allowed to get on with it.

When does the retained list come out? 

Wild leaves...

Archived