Ah but football's random, so that's irrelevant

And respective league position doesn’t always dictate the result of the game*

(*) see Norwich v Reading April 10 2019 🙄

6 hours ago, Wardie said:

Last five games

Swindon: LLWDD
Oldham: DLWWW

Purple patch?
Some fans are making unnecessary excuses already.

I wasn't making excuses - just passing on the info from a dyed in the wool Swindon fan. He says they are playing very well - best they've seen under Wellens.

I spoke with him again an hour ago (he's the reason I may break my boycott i.e. to catch up with him) and he's says, incidentally, that they are unbeaten in last 5 games? Just checked their last 5 results on their site, Wardie, and it reads DWWDD ?

Edited by wiseowl
spelling erroe

13 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I wasn't making excuses - just passing on the info from a dyed in the wool Swindon fan. He says they are playing very well - best they've seen under Wellens.

I spoke with him again an hour ago (he's the reason I may break my boycott i.e. to catch up with him) and he's says, incidentally, that they are unbeaten in last 5 games? Just checked their last 5 results on their site, Wardie, and it reads DWWDD ?

Wellens loves a draw 

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

2-2 Lang & Clarke in front of 3,654 

Swindon took 319 to Bury recently. So expect maybe 350 as they are on a reasonable run and add in the Wellens factor.

i would expect a few more home fans but the boycott will still have an impact.  

48 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Swindon took 319 to Bury recently. So expect maybe 350 as they are on a reasonable run and add in the Wellens factor.

i would expect a few more home fans but the boycott will still have an impact.  

The Wellens factor would persuade more Swindon fans to travel to Oldham than Bury? I know football fans are a bit weird but I'm not sure they're that weird. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The Wellens factor would persuade more Swindon fans to travel to Oldham than Bury? I know football fans are a bit weird but I'm not sure they're that weird. 

I personally know two Swindon fans who are coming up for the game solely to support Richie on his return to his former managerial club. There must be others 😉

I might have made that up....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Based on what exactly?

Consistency over a season might cover it, their last two results were a 1-1 at home to yeovil who are going down and a blank at newport but they also struggled at home to port vale.

We'll be above them in the table tomorrow evening.

Edited by OLDHAMADE
Missing word lol

I'd say there's 8 teams still fighting for 2 playoff spots (assuming that Tranmere don't have a massive downturn in form).  Of the teams outside the playoffs Swindon probably have the best run in of the lot after playing us, as all the teams they play are bottom half and only Notts on the final day have anything to play for.  So a win tomorrow for us would be massive.

We've got a difficult run in, but the big carrot for us is that if we keep our good form going against top half teams to get us into the playoffs, then our form will be an advantage over the other three teams that we face.

6 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd say there's 8 teams still fighting for 2 playoff spots (assuming that Tranmere don't have a massive downturn in form).  Of the teams outside the playoffs Swindon probably have the best run in of the lot after playing us, as all the teams they play are bottom half and only Notts on the final day have anything to play for.  So a win tomorrow for us would be massive.

We've got a difficult run in, but the big carrot for us is that if we keep our good form going against top half teams to get us into the playoffs, then our form will be an advantage over the other three teams that we face.

Yes. And the fact there are 4 games against similar teams, is making so many 6 pointers and giving us a real chance. So difficult, but am enjoying the unexpected ride. 

21 hours ago, bozman said:

Or will he stay true to his relegation excuse and play hoofball for this game because it's impossible to play passing football on our dreadful pitch ?

weather has been good. expect pitch to be ok actually and it be a decent game for league 2 level. plus didnt think we ever hoofed it under him. he had some weird formations that didnt help, remember him not playing a left winger in one game and we got roasted down the flanks.

21 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

weather has been good. expect pitch to be ok actually and it be a decent game for league 2 level. plus didnt think we ever hoofed it under him. he had some weird formations that didnt help, remember him not playing a left winger in one game and we got roasted down the flanks.

I don't disagree -  I'm referring to an interview he did a few months back where one of the excuses he came up with for our relegation was that he had to change the playing style that was succesful at the start of his tenure to a more direct approach  because the pitch was so poor.

I’ve seen comments from people on here saying that they’d settle for a draw on Saturday, and I understand why;  it’s the fear factor, the fear of losing or undoing what we have recently achieved. But in truth a draw would do nothing for our play off aspirations and would likely put us further behind Exeter in 7th place. The players need to be bold Saturday and go for the win. Nothing less than 3 points will do. This mini run has brought back memories from way back, checking the league table every few minutes, looking who’s got to play who. I know it could all be over Saturday but please try and forget your woes and get down Saturday to get behind the team.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

I’ve seen comments from people on here saying that they’d settle for a draw on Saturday, and I understand why;  it’s the fear factor, the fear of losing or undoing what we have recently achieved. But in truth a draw would do nothing for our play off aspirations and would likely put us further behind Exeter in 7th place. The players need to be bold Saturday and go for the win. Nothing less than 3 points will do. This mini run has brought back memories from way back, checking the league table every few minutes, looking who’s got to play who. I know it could all be over Saturday but please try and forget your woes and get down Saturday to get behind the team.

Can you direct me to the people who have said they will "settle for a draw" or people who have a "fear of losing what we have recently achieved" please. I haven't read one comment that says that and I would like to challenge them on this particular viewpoint

Its amazing what a decade of fighting at league 1 relegation seems to now get people excited about or current predicament.

If we'd got our act together and just been run like a normal football club then rather than looking at an outside chance of getting in the play offs, we would probably be in the top 7 and looking at a realistic chance of getting in the top 3 or even higher. 

• Like 2

0--1 away win written all over this (usually)

But Lang seems to be on a bit of a goal scoring run and the defence have been superb recently.

Too much play off talk recently - but the team have made me eat my words. Win this we have a chance. Need everyone down there backing the team.

The chairman won't be going anywhere soon, we aren't Blackpool with a wealthy bloke on the board who's owed money.

Fingers crossed for some luck for a change

Edited by bluehobbit
-

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Can you direct me to the people who have said they will "settle for a draw" or people who have a "fear of losing what we have recently achieved" please. I haven't read one comment that says that and I would like to challenge them on this particular viewpoint

Its amazing what a decade of fighting at league 1 relegation seems to now get people excited about or current predicament.

If we'd got our act together and just been run like a normal football club then rather than looking at an outside chance of getting in the play offs, we would probably be in the top 7 and looking at a realistic chance of getting in the top 3 or even higher. 

Agreed, and I suppose i’m Just being thankful for small mercies but i’ll take what’s presently  on offer. It’s the hope that kills you!

2 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

0--1 away win written all over this (usually)

But Lang seems to be on a bit of a goal scoring run and the defence have been superb recently.

Too much play off talk recently - but the team have made me eat my words. Win this we have a chance. Need everyone down there backing the team.

The chairman won't be going anywhere soon, we aren't Blackpool with a wealthy bloke on the board who's owed money.

Fingers crossed for some luck for a change

To be fair, Pete W has crushed all play off talk and rightly so. PErsonally I'm going into tommorow hoping we can get a result, seen at least oen comment saying expecting a win. That's insane and a surefire way to get a kick up the arse. If you are a United fan, or more recently a City fan  you might expect it was the last millenium we could play a game an expect it.

1 minute ago, singe said:

To be fair, Pete W has crushed all play off talk and rightly so. PErsonally I'm going into tommorow hoping we can get a result, seen at least oen comment saying expecting a win. That's insane and a surefire way to get a kick up the arse. If you are a United fan, or more recently a City fan  you might expect it was the last millenium we could play a game an expect it.

The hashtag after every defeat in the last 10 years says different #totallyunacceptable ...