Lee Erwin

It was quite apparent early in the season that he had talent in abundance. A lovely touch and lots of skill.

As the season went on, he started to look like he couldn't be arsed, but there was no doubt in my mind that Sheridan could get him playing well and scoring...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Only a couple of us said he was decent. Most said he was absolute shite. People saying he had an awful touch etc. Think he's proving the point that people need a decent chance 

Most people said he was shite because he was shite, he has ability but needed to become a better team player as opposed to a greedy cunt, thankfully Shez is getting a tune out of him.

He's proving himself to be useful. Reminds me a lot of Matt Smith in a lot of ways. For me he is the same player as holloway and if we can get a decent "little" to holloways "large" erwin would always be on the bench. 

I'd take him if he was cheap enough but he probably won't get the game time the wage he will ask for justifies

On 08/04/2017 at 11:49 PM, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Granted he's been much improved recently but what about the other 3/4 of the season he's been MIA ? Or just not good/interested enough ? I think whatever decision Shez makes will be the right un,as he will see how he is attitude wise in training etc. 

Im not trying to slate the lad by the way, I'd be content either way. And unlike some cretins behind me today in the North stand I don't abuse my own players

The difference is in the way Sheridan has asked him to play. He does not want him tackling back, defending deep but rather to stay up front and play as an attacker. This has obviously worked with Erwin. He has always had good technique now he has a hunger to match. Top player and Sheridan knows it.

Edited by TheBigDog

For most of the first half of the season he was poor,possibly because he was constantly drifting wide and playing with his back to goal.He also has attitude problems. Sheridan has got him playing in better positions and Holloway helps.

Regards signing next season I think that is unlikely. He has an ego and we won't be able to afford him, he will earn more in the Scottish Premier league.

26 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

For most of the first half of the season he was poor,possibly because he was constantly drifting wide and playing with his back to goal.He also has attitude problems. Sheridan has got him playing in better positions and Holloway helps.

Regards signing next season I think that is unlikely. He has an ego and we won't be able to afford him, he will earn more in the Scottish Premier league.

Attitude problems and an ego? Where's this come from?

2 hours ago, philliggi said:

He's proving himself to be useful. Reminds me a lot of Matt Smith in a lot of ways. For me he is the same player as holloway and if we can get a decent "little" to holloways "large" erwin would always be on the bench. 

I'd take him if he was cheap enough but he probably won't get the game time the wage he will ask for justifies

He's absolutely nothing like Matt Smith or Holloway. 

I think that was part of the problem early in the season. He's a big guy who won't go up and win many headers, or get involved in a battle with defenders, and when we weren't winning that clearly didn't sit well with fans who didn't understand those just aren't his strengths. Back then we were creating so few chances for him he just looked lazy and was rarely involved.

You almost have to ignore his height really. He is that perfect foil for Holloway in this team and he's really come to the fore for us since Shez arrived.

Edited by dec666

We've struggled for goals all season long. Are we happy to go into next season with the same firing squad in Holloway and Erwin?

What we need is a Holloway/Erwin combined into one plus another who scores goals IMO. Both Holloway and Erwin have qualities in their own way, but it's not enough for me. Obviously Erwin has done far better of late however I also remember he wasn't up for the battle early doors. That's not to say he can't come good in the future, I just don't think I could take another season struggling to score goals.

Edited by Lags

7 hours ago, Lags said:

We've struggled for goals all season long. Are we happy to go into next season with the same firing squad in Holloway and Erwin?

What we need is a Holloway/Erwin combined into one plus another who scores goals IMO. Both Holloway and Erwin have qualities in their own way, but it's not enough for me. Obviously Erwin has done far better of late however I also remember he wasn't up for the battle early doors. That's not to say he can't come good in the future, I just don't think I could take another season struggling to score goals.

Leon Clarke alongside Holloway? Can't see him getting much game time in the championship. 

13 hours ago, philliggi said:

In terms of impact i.e. goals, Erwin is having a bigger impact than Holloway though?

Holloway good player, but him and Lee too similar, and can you afford a striker that doesn't score?

1 hour ago, Scapegoat said:

In terms of impact i.e. goals, Erwin is having a bigger impact than Holloway though?

Holloway good player, but him and Lee too similar, and can you afford a striker that doesn't score?

I'd rather put it he's getting the goals because of Holloways impact ! As that is the exact reason he is getting the goals. 

8 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I'd rather put it he's getting the goals because of Holloways impact ! As that is the exact reason he is getting the goals. 

Yes, this. Holloway is a key player because he helps create goals. There's no point playing two thirty-goal poachers with no service.

10 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

If that's what you saw from Saturday my advice to you would be stop watching football, but in all seriousness Two completely different players who are causing real problems for defences. Just keeping Holloway fit is the real issue. 

Would love to see them two as two of our striking options next season. Would imagine though Erwin is on far too much money for us. 

22 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

If that's what you saw from Saturday my advice to you would be stop watching football, but in all seriousness Two completely different players who are causing real problems for defences. Just keeping Holloway fit is the real issue. 

Would love to see them two as two of our striking options next season. Would imagine though Erwin is on far too much money for us. 

Strange advice...

I wonder about Erwin though.  Clearly a confidence player that was lacking it completely early on.

Now seems to have it and all round game is better.  I'd happily give Lee and Tope a go, I like AHH but lack of goals is becoming an issue for me and would like to see another partnership given a go.

Maybe a game on the bench will give Holloway a bit of focus - or show me I know nothing about football ;-)

23 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Do you therefore not recognise the improvement the player has made in the last 2 months? Because he looks a far better all round player now than at the start of the season.

Yes. I recognise a vast improvement in form. He hasn't gained any extra attributes or abilities tho.

20 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Strange advice...

Holloway has 5 assists in 15 games paddy joint top with banks but banks played more games. 

For what Holloway does in holdup play the others don't have in their games would be a massive loss not having him starting. 

43 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Erwin will be on decent money at Leeds but it won't be astronomical. Neither will he be anywhere near their first team or in mega demand at this level. It seems plausible that we'd get him on a similar deal next season, or even on a permanent depending on Leeds' stance.

Watching the Oxford at home highlights and plenty of games before Holloway was here, Erwin is also a creator. Is this partnership now better than Main and Holloway? (Were they even that effective when played together?)

On 9 April 2017 at 0:49 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

It was quite apparent early in the season that he had talent in abundance. A lovely touch and lots of skill.

As the season went on, he started to look like he couldn't be arsed, but there was no doubt in my mind that Sheridan could get him playing well and scoring...

Hometown on here asserting that he had a shit first touch was one of the worst things I have ever seen on here. Classic Latics fan comment.