Hughes to The Lashers!

For me the season ended when Shez left, not when Hughes left...

This crazy idea you can drop your manager with nine games to go and still get promoted is sure madness and the stuff of fantasy....

Very disapointed in the 3TAs for chopping shez... Disapointed the fans thought it was a great idea...

Only positive is Joe being back, but no doubt it wont be long before the message board mafia spin their poison and the 3TAs over react and boot out yet another manager...

Im sorry but what's the bloody point in coming all season and backing someone when they get the chop without being give the scope to finish the job....

Ronnie Moore is a :censored: but his comments the other week were bang on...

Edited by wardlelatic
Language - Wardlelatic

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the season ended when Shez left, not when Hughes left...

This crazy idea you can drop your manager with nine games to go and still get promoted is sure madness and the stuff of fantasy....

Very disapointed in the 3TAs for chopping shez... Disapointed the fans thought it was a great idea...

Only positive is Joe being back, but no doubt it wont be long before the message board mafia spin their poison and the 3TAs over react and boot out yet another manager...

Im sorry but what's the bloody point in coming all season and backing someone when they get the chop without being give the scope to finish the job....

Ronnie Moore is a :censored: but his comments the other week were bang on...

I really dont see it this way. The team with sheridan and hughes in the last few months was terrible. It was depressing to watch. I know he was a goalscorer, but you could see with his performances that he wasn't motivated enough by wearing the oldham shirt, play someone who is!

I see this as a progressive step, up the latics!

Just read of this now, last I saw was when the rumours were appearing this afternoon.

It's disgusting.

The amount of time and money that I've spent on this season, and the club have decided to throw in the towel with the playoffs still a possibility. Yes, it was a long shot. But to loan out your top scorer? I couldn't give a flying f**k about preparing for next season. What about the one we're in now? The one we've played 39 f*****g games of. The one we can still possibly win promotion in? Yeah, sack that off...rather than just go all out for 7 games and go for promotion this year...let's piss about for a month and a half and start all over for another season in the same league next year.

I'm sorry, but Blitz, Corney, Royle...whoever is responsible for this decision, hang your head in shame. We've played for months and months this season and then YOU decide to give it up. Not good enough, not good enough at all.

Thanks Lee, you've been a good servant to the club and if it hadn't been for you, we may have been up s*** creek this season. I hope he does well in The Championship, at least someone from the club's going to get a shot.

It started at Hereford for me. Conceding 26 goals since going into that game unbeaten in 10. Scoring 14 since going into that game unbeaten in 10. Picking up 14 points out of a possible 42 since going into that game unbeaten in 10.

That is relegation form - Sheridan's/players' fault. Fighting or whatever the hell went on at the Dogs - drunken players' fault, perhaps even Sheridan's. We, the fans, have had to go through this season whilst so-called proffesional footballers and a weak managers have hammered nails into our coffin.

It happened to be Joe Royle who accepted a no-win job, but it could have been anyone. With or without Lee Hughes, the squad is nowhere near good enough to get outta this league what with the quality of the opposition also wanting promotion. I mean, we can moan about Hughes going, but we've all seen what it's been like even with him in the side. I don't blame Joe one little bit for coming in and trying to sort this joke of a side out. He's well within his rights to do so. Whatever he does in these final weeks will get my backing. Shoddy, weak performances consistently scattered throughout the season and people still think we're good enough to gain promotion? I wanna believe we can do it, and I'll keep shouting we can when it comes to the games, but inside I know full well where we'll be next season.

If Joe can actually get hard-working, solid performances outta the lads then I really don't care how results go. If he does that, he's done a good job.

This confirms nothing of the sort.

I'm not so arsed about Hughes leaving, but I am arsed about the messages coming from the club which is they have given up the faith for this season. A club who's mantra has always been KTF too.

I know not one player is bigger than the club, but a lot of people are speculating that he's a "bad egg" without any hold card facts (sic). This may or may not be the case, but unless it's a proven fact he's a clear disruption on the team and better out than in (And saying we've been playing crap since Christmas isn't a proven fact by the way) I can't help feeling a little disappointed by the clubs decision here, and the messages emitting. Just keep him until the end, he scores goals and although his engine's run dry a bit lately, he's still got a goal every other game or so. Not only is letting him go now a crushing blow to our promotion hopes, it just sends a message to Tranmere, Scunthorpe et al that hey, the club who always keeps the faith has given up. Pathetic.

So, we end the season with a loanee who's split everyone down the middle about what he brings to the side, two rookie strikers who are far from prolific and ruthless and another striker who absolutely no-one rates and yet isn't ever loaned out. Lovely. And yet again TTA are expected to see it roll round again with the 4th or 5th manager since they came in. What a complete shambles of a season, which just about ends on Saturday for me. I'll attend the home games out of already paying for them with a season ticket, but I'll certainly not be wasting more money trekking up to Cumbria, down to Sussex and finally down to the West Midlands to see the season obviously fizzle out into more smoking embers.

I may as well join in with the defeatism eminating from Boundary Park today. If you can't beat 'em, fecking well join em.

LaticsAl & FMS, I totally agree with both of you.

Kabba ahead of Hughes?!?! :ranting:

THIS season was our promotion push! Not last season? That is why we have invested so much money on players (and on keeping Hughes rather than picking up the £400k or so for him in Jan). Now we are not even going to give it a real go??

My expectation has always been that Joe was brought in to reignite a playoff push and now we've realistically throw in the towel 2 games into his 2nd tenure?? You've gotta ask why we paid the compensation to Shez! Even if Royle did stay on for next season I'm not convinced that he is what we need.

The budget for the next few years will not be as high as this season, so the only slight positive I can see is that expectation levels will fall as well, but unfortunately people won't pay through the turnstiles for low expectations.

The TTA have been fantastic owners for this club and I am eternally grateful for them taking us on. But ultimately, they set a 5-year target and have failed to achieve it.

So League One for the next half decade is now my expectation and I can safely say that we won't get anyone in that time who will score as many goals as Hughes.

This promotion chasing era is coming to an end, I hope we get used to lower expectations, but I doubt it.

Very emotive sibject this but given these facts

Lee Hughes wasnt going to sign a new contract withus

No one wanted him in the Jan transfer window let alone pay 400k for him (maybe news travels quick)

He was likely to get booked again I suspect with three games to go.

On current form we would have been lucky if he scored another 2 goals, but if there was a bonus payable for 20 goals he may have scored 2 more.

I would put money on any of the rest of the strikers including the 2 youths Eaves and Brook scoring at least that many before the end of the season.

He was obviously uninterested in the team judging by the reaction to being subbed against Cheltenham.

Think we should trust Joe's judgement here he would only do what is right for the club and he is probably working on things we will never know.

Just read of this now, last I saw was when the rumours were appearing this afternoon.

It's disgusting.

The amount of time and money that I've spent on this season, and the club have decided to throw in the towel with the playoffs still a possibility. Yes, it was a long shot. But to loan out your top scorer? I couldn't give a flying f**k about preparing for next season. What about the one we're in now? The one we've played 39 f*****g games of. The one we can still possibly win promotion in? Yeah, sack that off...rather than just go all out for 7 games and go for promotion this year...let's piss about for a month and a half and start all over for another season in the same league next year.

I'm sorry, but Blitz, Corney, Roylewhoever is responsible for this decision, hang your head in shame. We've played for months and months this season and then YOU decide to give it up. Not good enough, not good enough at all.

Thanks Lee, you've been a good servant to the club and if it hadn't been for you, we may have been up s*** creek this season. I hope he does well in The Championship, at least someone from the club's going to get a shot.

I have to agree with JSSL ... I'm shocked still at the decision that was made.

Last sat brought at least an extra 1800 fans through the gates. WILL THEY COME BACK NOW ?

I'm frustrated and disappointed now after having time to reflect, Not for letting Hughesy go but for giving up and surrending our last chance of making the play offs this season without a fight, letting the clubs top scorer go on loan has DAMAGED the remainding attendance for this season and maybe ST sales next season!

Lee's goal versus Leeds showed what he can do same Southend away when he is given 1/100 th of a chance with the ball at his feet

LH hasnt played well since xmas, but show me one player who has played consistant !

One man doesnt make a team, one man doesnt destroy a team but bad management does. !

Negativity has been shown at the highest level here

Hughesy may have left in the summer, I'm sure he's not the only one but now I feel CHEATED out of money Ive spent watching the team home and away now.

If those who matter (and by the look of it I DONT MEAN THE FANS) dont care and give up then why should I pay an average of £70 to watch the team away and over £500 a season for home games.

Edited by Nickhenryslovechild

Very emotive sibject this but given these facts

Lee Hughes wasnt going to sign a new contract withus

No one wanted him in the Jan transfer window let alone pay 400k for him (maybe news travels quick)

He was likely to get booked again I suspect with three games to go.

On current form we would have been lucky if he scored another 2 goals, but if there was a bonus payable for 20 goals he may have scored 2 more.

I would put money on any of the rest of the strikers including the 2 youths Eaves and Brook scoring at least that many before the end of the season.

He was obviously uninterested in the team judging by the reaction to being subbed against Cheltenham.

Think we should trust Joe's judgement here he would only do what is right for the club and he is probably working on things we will never know.

Spot on!!!

I have to agree with JSSL ... I'm shocked still at the decision that was made.

Last sat brought at least an extra 1800 fans through the gates. WILL THEY COME BACK NOW ?

Them coming back or not coming back has nothing to do with Hughes leaving, I can assure you.

A consistently crap 3 months performances at home will have done that - culminating in another poor result/performance on Saturday, with the extra 1800 inside BP.

Edited by futchers briefs

Them coming back or not coming back has nothing to do with Hughes leaving, I can assure you.

A consistently crap 3 months performances at home will have done that - culminating in another poor result/performance on Saturday, with the extra 1800 inside BP.

It's alright bigman. We'll be able to get all the news we want on him. A certain blackpool player is picking him up every morning from Sandbrook Park. :wink:

I'm not overly fussed Hughes has gone. It was clear from that article on the official site that he wasnt going to be here next season. We may as well save whatever money we can.

As for throwing in the towel. I'm afraid you cant blame anyone other than the 11 players who've been on the pitch for that. We've had two great opportunities the past week and it is they and they alone who have thrown it in/blown it. No one else.

Havent read the whole thread, infact I havent read any. Hughes is a player who could do no wrong for some fans. So it's obvious what will have been said from those.

Good luck to him, but he's not been the same for a while now.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

P.S. I still can't get the image of him grabbing Chris Taylor by his neck in the defeat at Scunthorpe out of my mind.

That was aweful I remember that! Very upsetting and showed the petulance that had crept into the team.

People are slagging the club off here but nobody really knows what the dressing room has been like.

If he was still trying 110% then he would have been kept in a hopeful push for play offs but we have got rid of him for a reason, Like someone said on here he averages a goal every 2 games, therefore at least 3.5 goals left in him. In Joe and Latics I trust and I feel he has gone for a reason that isnt and probably never will be publicly stated

It's alright bigman. We'll be able to get all the news we want on him. A certain blackpool player is picking him up every morning from Sandbrook Park. :wink:

I'm not overly fussed Hughes has gone. It was clear from that article on the official site that he wasnt going to be here next season. We may as well save whatever money we can.

As for throwing in the towel. I'm afraid you cant blame anyone other than the 11 players who've been on the pitch for that. We've had two great opportunities the past week and it is they and they alone who have thrown it in/blown it. No one else.

Havent read the whole thread, infact I havent read any. Hughes is a player who could do no wrong for some fans. So it's obvious what will have been said from those.

Good luck to him, but he's not been the same for a while now.

Despite the mass hysteria on here I think Hughes is over-rated and not the best striker in the division at all. Compare his record to Beckett's bearing in mind Luke played less games and spent half a season out injured. Beckett scored 24 goals in 36 League starts, Hughes 25 in 51 starts. Will he be missed? IMO no, his input has been minimal since Christmas as 5 goals in 17 suggests.

It was clear something wasn't right with Lee his body language suggested it, the bickering with his team mates suggested it and it was amazing how the team responded to his substitution the other night. The hoofing stopped, people got into the box and they looked like they wanted to get back into the game.

As for those saying the play-offs are still a possibility - I say Bollocks!

Leicester and Peterborough - out of sight

Millwall - Hit form at the right time and signed another striker this week

Mongs despite a dodgy spell will get iinto the play offs due to their fire power

Leeds - Will get more than enough points to ensure a top 6 finish

Scunny - too many games at home left to mess up

The top 6 now will be the top 6 come May. We have underachieved since October, despite Hughes' goals. Now we need the rest of the squad to contribute goals, will they? Well the way we finished last season suggests we will score goals - with Lewi and Smalley playing up front.

On a private note, I'm glad the cloud over Boundary Park has been lifted. I was never really comfortable with his signing and felt embarassed having to justify my club's actions to fellow football fans around the country. He's blackpool's problem now and if Joe is still here come the summer he will bring in quality replacements - whatever the budget.

I’m bored of these one dimensional clichés about him being the only person who scores. Isn’t that the problem? It’s obvious that the players have problems off the pitch as well as on it and they need some leadership and here it is. No player bigger than the club, we work as a team not just around one man.

Right or wrong decision. I don’t know, but this sends a message to the players that they have to fight or we will die miserably. They may take our lives, but they will never take our FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!

I find this very puzzling indeed. All the money that TTA pour into the club, I cannot believe that this was motivated by money. I cannot see Blackpool paying a substantial fee for the loan, if a fee at all, either.

If there were two better strikers at the club, then you could kind of understand it. But it just smacks of us throwing in the towel and giving up on any slim chance of us playing championship football next season, and I cannot believe this either.

I am betting even more things have gone on in the dressing room that we don't know (even though there has been a lot reported on these boards). Him not being a latic next year is no reason to give up on playoff chances, especially after all the money that has been spent on him.

I am sure Joe, or whoever has decided that he is bad for the club and he needs to go. This is a shame as he was the only proven striker we had on our books, but we have to put our faith that the decision makers are doing what is best for the club. I hope Kabba and the home growns can do the impossible and still get us into the championship. Until is is mathematically impossible, I will still be hoping.

Smalley and Allessandra when they last played upfront together tore Carlisle to pieces!

Getting rid of Hughes smacks of a lack of ambition but we don't know whats been going on within the club. The owners have backed the club all the way upto now with their cash and support, a fair number of fans including myself haven't followed the call and stayed away.

By getting rid of Hughes now sounds like there will be a tightening at least of the budget next season, surely it's better to be planning for it now and getting an edge on our competitors who will be tightening their budgets as well?

It was only last week we gave Chris Taylor an extention to his contract, was that a positive or a negative?

I really don't see how we're throwing the towel in. To the outsiders it appears that way, but we've seen his last 15-20 appearances. No motivation, no form or confidence about him. How is letting someone with 5 goals in his last 17 appearances throwing the towel in? We don't have another goal-scorer apart from Hughes - 5 goals in 17 from that very man. That's the best we have.

We've got just as much chance of getting into the POs now than before.

the Lashers will love that when it happens :grin:

thanks for the 18 goals...thats about it.

should of been a hell of a lot more,and everybody at the club seemingly except fans understand why he has gone...been acting like a sulky kid because we wouldnt let him go in january.

has he orchestrated his own demise with his alledged boozy behavior??

im sure next season financially we will be better for him not signing the deal and bankrupting us....he was never going to sign,so there ya go.adios

I really don't see how we're throwing the towel in. To the outsiders it appears that way, but we've seen his last 15-20 appearances. No motivation, no form or confidence about him. How is letting someone with 5 goals in his last 17 appearances throwing the towel in? We don't have another goal-scorer apart from Hughes - 5 goals in 17 from that very man. That's the best we have.

We've got just as much chance of getting into the POs now than before.

I know where you are coming from and Hughes has been very poor recently, but who else has scored 1 in 3?

Not one lasher i have spoken to today is pleased with the signing of Hughesy, some are planning to boo the Oystons(just for a change) and turn there back on Hughes.

I would love it if they were to get relegated, everything about there donkey turd club does my nut in, Lee Hughes is the 21st player the lashers have had on loan this season, that must be a record.

I dont get it...

After the Cheltenham game most people said the season was over anyway, so why is everybody crying about it now?

Hughes hasn’t looked the slightest bit interested since he wasn’t allowed to leave in Jan and since then has scored 3 goals.

Joe Royle wanted to look at some of the younger players (something which shez got slated for not doing) and different partnerships upfront which meant paying Hughes £1500 or what ever per week to train and sit on the bench.

He was never going to sign the new contract to keep him here, so we withdrew it!

I'd have thought it would have been Lee in for the criticism after showing no loyalty after us taking the flack for signing him in the first place. Not questioning the owners/managers ambition. Some people need to get real!

I dont see what the problem is, he wasn’t performing, he wasn’t going to be here next year so we've let him move on!