Lee Johnson in frame for Manager's job

Everybody who knows the club can see we're crying out for someone with experience and nous to come in and steady the ship, and yet we're bringing somebody in from the right at the opposite end of the spectrum. Incredible.

The little enthusiasm I had left for this football club is quickly beginning to dissipate.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we would have been so disappointed to appoint LJ in the summer have assured a L1 place. It's the timing that's the problem, it's a massive gamble when what we need is an experienced steady head to keep us up.

I am sure that SC will not leave Lee on his own with zero experience.

It sounds to me that Lee will provide the energy day-to-day and someone else will provide experience and support.

Simon isn't a fool.

Evening chaps

Bristol City fan here. I am quite interested in this Lee Johnson story as he was a key part of our team from 06-12. Seems a real risk appointing him due to his age and current league position BUT Lee Johnson, IMO, as someone who has watched him as a part of our squad for a fair few years has a great deal of good credentials for management.

Obviously having a father who has been fairly successful as a manager helps, his uncle Pete is/was also a scout and Lee has been involved with the youth systems at Arsenal and Watford as well as playing for Hearts and Killie north of the border so is well travelled and has certainly has a few connections he's built up over the years.

Lee is also a bright boy - he owns a small property portfolio which he has built up and it's worth a fair bit now - he's not you're average footballer in terms of intelligence and that comes across in his interviews too.

He also is a real model pro. When things weren't going so well for us Lee was an easy target due to him being Gary's son (suggestions of nepotism etc) but during that time he gave nothing less than his all and carried on trying his hardest despite the undeserved critisism he was receiving for Gary's repeated selection of him when times were rough!

Lee has been involved in successful sides. With Yeovil I believe they won two promotions and a football league trophy. He's achieved promotion with Bristol City and also won Scottish cups with Hearts and Killie off the top of my head so knows what is needed for a successful side.

I appreciate this information may seem irrelevant in his potential managerial ability but I believe he has the credentials to be successful. If he gets the job I will keep an eye out for your results as he was a real credit to Bristol City during his time here.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

oafc19 as well?

http://www.owtb.co.u...64

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41961entry615847

Stop spamming.

we need few fans down there at 2pm to make our feelings know.

Yeah. We could have a group outside the club shop welcoming him and grabbing an autograph.

There could be a trio at the main entrance chanting "Corney out" and giving away free bacon sandwiches.

Another group opposite should wear Iain Dowie face masks in the hope that The Messiah himself will still be unveiled as manager.

A few of the RRE choir can welcome Lee Johnson with a well rehearsed rendition of "Who the :censored:ing hell are you?" and "We know it's a :censored:hole, now please :censored: off home".

And the relegation battle will be all the stronger.

Yeah. We could have a group outside the club shop welcoming him and grabbing an autograph.

There could be a trio at the main entrance chanting "Corney out" and giving away free bacon sandwiches.

Another group opposite should wear Iain Dowie face masks in the hope that The Messiah himself will still be unveiled as manager.

A few of the RRE choir can welcome Lee Johnson with a well rehearsed rendition of "Who the :censored:ing hell are you?" and "We know it's a :censored:hole, now please :censored: off home".

And the relegation battle will be all the stronger.

Haha, quality!

On the basis of the comments on this thread none of you would have appointed Royle and you would all still welcome Warnock. It beggars belief.

Right or wrong we appear to have gone for young and hungry over experience.

For those clamouring for experience, did Warnock save us (and with a fair bit of cash to spend by our standards)? Did Redknap keep up Southampton? The answer is no. Experience isn't everything and I would prefer this appointment to Phil Brown whose record with struggling sides at Derby and Preston was poor.

Lee Johnson was a warrior in his games for Bristol against us and the type of player with some fire in his belly a fire that yesterdays gutless 1st half showed we are missing now. He worked his socks off fo his team and if he is appointed tomorrow I expect he will bring that ethic with him.

Young and hungry every time for me, A clean sheet and no baggage of failure. I don't want another Penny, another Warnock another Moore another Wadsworth. The only managers in my 45+ years to have any success whatsoever have been young and hungry and I say we stuck with that. The odds as far as oafc are concerned say that works better than experience.

Therefore give me another Frizz, another Royle, another Dowie or another Shez. They are far more likely to bring us success.

It's basically the start of a career on FM.. 'Oldham appoint rookie'. Usually ends in domination of Europe so sure, give the guy a shot.

But seriously, agree with the appointment or not; the guy needs our backing.

On the basis of the comments on this thread none of you would have appointed Royle and you would all still welcome Warnock. It beggars belief.

For those clamouring for experience, did Warnock save us (and with a fair bit of cash to spend by our standards)? Did Redknap keep up Southampton? The answer is no. Experience isn't everything and I would prefer this appointment to Phil Brown whose record with struggling sides at Derby and Preston was poor.

Lee Johnson was a warrior in his games for Bristol against us and the type of player with some fire in his belly a fire that yesterdays gutless 1st half showed we are missing now. He worked his socks off fo his team and if he is appointed tomorrow I expect he will bring that ethic with him.

Young and hungry every time for me, A clean sheet and no baggage of failure. I don't want another Penny, another Warnock another Moore another Wadsworth. The only managers in my 45+ years to have any success whatsoever have been young and hungry and I say we stuck with that. The odds as far as oafc are concerned say that works better than experience.

Therefore give me another Frizz, another Royle, another Dowie or another Shez. They are far more likely to bring us success.

I don't think anyone is against appointing a rookie per se Harry, more that the timing seems to be utterly bizarre given the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Do you honestly think bringing someone in with literally zero managerial or coaching experience, who will inevitably need a few weeks to get accustomed to the role is a wise appointment for a team in freefall and in serious danger of relegation? If we'd been mid-table and out of danger, fine. Or if we'd appointed him over the summer and allowed him time to get used to the role, fine. But to throw him into the firing line now is, in my opinion, complete madness.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

I don't think anyone is against appointing a rookie per se Harry, more that the timing seems to be utterly bizarre given the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Whilst I understand the point, experience doesn't guarantee anything and sometimes you need something different and for young and hungry is different

He's a 31 year journeyman nobody, I'm a keen follower of football in every division and I didn't even recognize the name at first. Its a joke appointment thats going to take the club down and no doubt finish it off.

Ok, Lee Johnson has ambition,he has a great work ethic and seems to have his head screwed on ! on the face of it he seems like an ideal candidate for a managerial position.

He also appears to be Dickov mk11, outstanding candidate, blew everyone away in the interview etc

I welcome the lad to Boundary Park and genuinley hope he is wonderfully successful but the timing of his appointment, being in the middle of a relegation dogfight is unfortunate to say the least.

Baptism of fire it is then, Good luck Lee, i have a feeling you are going to need it .

I knew one of the non attenders would comne back with something like that. :mmm:

So here's a question for you. Name the last experienced manager that we appointed who had some success.

So I can't check your flag waving? You are not above being questioned, and neither am I.

It's not about success right now is it, sure bring this lad in during June and July - but right now? It's about how Latics can turn this :censored: tip around; I'd be more inclined to go with somebody who's might not have a mantelpiece full of glory but might know a few tricks to get the results now.

Do you honestly think bringing someone in with literally zero managerial or coaching experience, who will inevitably need a few weeks to get accustomed to the role is a wise appointment for a team in freefall and in serious danger of relegation? If we'd been mid-table and out of danger, fine. Or if we'd appointed him over the summer and allowed him time to get used to the role, fine. But to throw him into the firing line now is, in my opinion, complete madness.

Do you honestly think appointing a Phil Brown (failed at Preston - Relegated) or a Warnock (failed at Oldham - relegated) would guarantee survival? If so then fair enough.

I will repeat the question, Name the last experienced manager to have ANY success at oafc?

I knew one of the non attenders would comne back with something like that. :mmm:

So here's a question for you. Name the last experienced manager that we appointed who had some success.

Relatively speaking, in a similar situation, Ronnie Moore.

The club can do no wrong in some fans eyes,

The only experience he's got is in property management not :censored:in football management. Dickov had fire in his belly didn't he?

Some people need to take their rose tinted spectacles off... before you know it you'll be creaming yourselves at the prospect of a derby against Stockport in the pritt stick league 3.

Do you honestly think appointing a Phil Brown (failed at Preston - Relegated) or a Warnock (failed at Oldham - relegated) would guarantee survival? If so then fair enough.

I will repeat the question, Name the last experienced manager to have ANY success at oafc?

As much as I dislike the man, Ronnie Moore saved us from a similar situation did he not?

Also, I never said it'd guarantee survival. But I'd be more optimistic than I am with a complete rookie in charge.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

He's a 31 year journeyman nobody, I'm a keen follower of football in every division and I didn't even recognize the name at first. Its a joke appointment thats going to take the club down and no doubt finish it off.

Had to laugh at that Senor.

191 games for Yeovil 2001-06 and 174 games for Bristol city 2006-12 so he's a 365 games for 2 clubs over an11 year period journeyman is he? Do your homework