• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ahem

Joe Royle

Iian Dowie

sometimes a cracking interview from an unlikely candidate works out

Does anyone know what coaching certificates Johnson has? Didn't Dowie hold a pro licence? Also, Dowie was touted as one of the best potential young managers about for a few years before his appointment.

Harry, again it's a timing thing. Three weeks ago I i didn't want the likes of Brown or Sammy Lee anywhere near the club. There's no way I could stand a season of watching Brown in particular's brand of football. But at this point, in this season, I think a temporary appointment of somebody of this ilk is sadly probably the only sensible option.

My choice for the long term would be a young hungry manager, I don't know enough about Johnson to say whether he would be my choice or not, but rather this than a Moore, Talbot, Wadsworth. I do feel however a punt like this needs to be a name, a Scholes, Carragher, Butt etc (if we could ever attract pr afford such a type!) that our players would look up to and respect.

But like you say, it's all about opinions

Could we all stop bitching about him being our manager please. Yes we know it is looking like he will be, but it's not been said officially that he is 100% the manager. He might be coming in as a player or a coach or anything

. :peepwall:

Let's stop moaning and wait in anticipation tomorrow :chubb:

Think I know now why TP,PG and CB looked so pissed off yesterday even before the abject performance.

Good point really...what does LJ possess that PG, CB or PM doesn't?

Whatever Corney comes out with tomorrow (if he's fronting the press conference that is) will be questioned and his motives behind this appointment.

I'm starting to feel sorry for LJ even before he's been confirmed. He might end up being a superb manager but at moment he's more a patsy for Corney.

He wasn't first choice and I know that as fact.

The appointment was only for this season and I know that as fact.

If anything is claimed otherwise then it's bollocks.

The only saving grace is if LJ is part of a larger management set-up or even part of a new ownership arrangement and strengthening of the squad now with assurances for next season being confirmed.

Good point really...what does LJ possess that PG, CB or PM doesn't?

I don't think PG wanted the job (can't be 100% certain) CB hasn't got his badges yet but PM might be a bit underwhelmed and under-appreciated. I can see Iwelumo and Barnard being a bit non-plused about the appointment of LJ too.

Hi Lee, welcome to OAFC.

Evening chaps

Bristol City fan here. I am quite interested in this Lee Johnson story as he was a key part of our team from 06-12. Seems a real risk appointing him due to his age and current league position BUT Lee Johnson, IMO, as someone who has watched him as a part of our squad for a fair few years has a great deal of good credentials for management.

Obviously having a father who has been fairly successful as a manager helps, his uncle Pete is/was also a scout and Lee has been involved with the youth systems at Arsenal and Watford as well as playing for Hearts and Killie north of the border so is well travelled and has certainly has a few connections he's built up over the years.

Lee is also a bright boy - he owns a small property portfolio which he has built up and it's worth a fair bit now - he's not you're average footballer in terms of intelligence and that comes across in his interviews too.

He also is a real model pro. When things weren't going so well for us Lee was an easy target due to him being Gary's son (suggestions of nepotism etc) but during that time he gave nothing less than his all and carried on trying his hardest despite the undeserved critisism he was receiving for Gary's repeated selection of him when times were rough!

Lee has been involved in successful sides. With Yeovil I believe they won two promotions and a football league trophy. He's achieved promotion with Bristol City and also won Scottish cups with Hearts and Killie off the top of my head so knows what is needed for a successful side.

I appreciate this information may seem irrelevant in his potential managerial ability but I believe he has the credentials to be successful. If he gets the job I will keep an eye out for your results as he was a real credit to Bristol City during his time here.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

The fans deserve this.

We had a manager who showed great progression over a season and a half, who brought in good players and building a solid team, and the fans got him the sack because of an unwarranted assault on his tactics and style of football.

And now we'd take any style of football just to stay in this league, karma at its finest.

Good luck Lee, if you do indeed get the job, because you're on a hiding to nothing with these fans.

I remain very underwhelmed but a large criticism of Dickov was that he had no guidance or mentor. LJ will at least have the ear of one of the best managers in the lower leagues and used to working on a budget. On the assumption he hss an experienced number 2 as well, if we're going to go down the rookie route then he may not be the worst rookie we could have got.

We are where we are now and it's time to unite behind the new manager irrespective of justifiable concerns that can, and I'm sure will, be articulated through the appropriate channels.

Do you honestly think appointing a Phil Brown (failed at Preston - Relegated) or a Warnock (failed at Oldham - relegated) would guarantee survival? If so then fair enough.

I don't think anyone has said appointing an experienced manager will guarantee our survival, because it wouldn't. But neither does appointing a young, hungry manager. I don't think appointing anyone would guarantee survival with these players.

However, we've got to make an appointment which will give us the best chance of survival. And in this position, I think appointing someone with experience would give us the best chance of surviving.

I obviously hope Johnson does the business. But I think we are taking an absolutely massive risk in appointing a rookie, at a time when we really shouldn't be risking it.

I'm still a little bit stunned that SC & the club would risk our League One status on a 31 year old with absolutely zero experience as a coach or manager.

The timing of this appointment is madness. After the season's finished; with a full pre-season to work with and the chance to bed in 'behind the scenes somewhat; then maybe.

But - to throw in the poor lad (and with the fact i'm older than him; I feel i can call him that without being too patronising) in with us in the situation we're in right now. Jeez. Un-bloody-believeable.

Good luck to the lad, and i really do wish him well....but, my word - this is one of the strangest managerial appointments i can remember; for any club, let alone Latics.

Madness......

The fans deserve this.

We had a manager who showed great progression over a season and a half, who brought in good players and building a solid team, and the fans got him the sack because of an unwarranted assault on his tactics and style of football.

And now we'd take any style of football just to stay in this league, karma at its finest.

Good luck Lee, if you do indeed get the job, because you're on a hiding to nothing with these fans.

"The fans deserve this"

Just about sums you up then doesn't it - can definitely tell that you haven't been to a game in a couple of seasons - apart from when the big boys were in town. As if something that happened 8 years ago has an effect on what happens now - just because fans didn't want Ronnie here, we are somehow stricken to having an inexperienced man, who may see us go down to league 2.

Never said this, but you are the biggest bellend on OWTB.

Thank-You and goodnight!

"The fans deserve this"

Just about sums you up then doesn't it - can definitely tell that you haven't been to a game in a couple of seasons - apart from when the big boys were in town. As if something that happened 8 years ago has an effect on what happens now - just because fans didn't want Ronnie here, we are somehow stricken to having an inexperienced man, who may see us go down to league 2.

Never said this, but you are the biggest bellend on OWTB.

Thank-You and goodnight!

I'm saying the fans don't deserve to call the shots, or whine about lack of progress/going backwards. They made their bed when they got Ronnie the sack, they can sleep with the effect of it, one flash in a pan season for Shez with Ronnie's team and then complete regression, both on and off the pitch.

I'm saying the fans don't deserve to call the shots, or whine about lack of progress/going backwards. They made their bed when they got Ronnie the sack, they can sleep with the effect of it, one flash in a pan season for Shez with Ronnie's team and then complete regression, both on and off the pitch.

Fans turn up every :censored:ing week and watch the pile of :censored:e that is delivered.

The fans didn't choose to get rid of Ronnie anyway, it was the chairman and the board who told him to :censored: off because they were worried about their money and investment after 'Poor' season ticket sales.

I bet they had better sales then than they will in May/June when renewals are due in - what does that teach to SC, he's got it wrong.

Got it wrong on the Moore decision.

Got it wrong on the Sheridan decision.

Got it wrong on the appointment of Penney.

Got it wrong in delaying the sacking/pushing of Dickov.

I seriously hope he hasn't got it wrong and i hope Johnson brings success to Latics.

But, the fans deserve it for not buying season tickets in abundance 7/8 years ago, shut up.

SC said in his latest interview that he had been speaking to someone close to Yeovil and was really surprised to hear that our budget was 50% higher than theirs. That person must have been Johnson. Who knows he may do a good job, others have.