Lee Johnson in frame for Manager's job

I'll give everyone Ronnie Moore and fair play. But how many of you then wanted him out?

That's irrelevant. The fact is he came in at a similar time and with us in a similar position, and kept us up. It's not the appointment, it's the timing.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the basis of the comments on this thread none of you would have appointed Royle and you would all still welcome Warnock. It beggars belief.

Right or wrong we appear to have gone for young and hungry over experience.

For those clamouring for experience, did Warnock save us (and with a fair bit of cash to spend by our standards)? Did Redknap keep up Southampton? The answer is no. Experience isn't everything and I would prefer this appointment to Phil Brown whose record with struggling sides at Derby and Preston was poor.

Lee Johnson was a warrior in his games for Bristol against us and the type of player with some fire in his belly a fire that yesterdays gutless 1st half showed we are missing now. He worked his socks off fo his team and if he is appointed tomorrow I expect he will bring that ethic with him.

Young and hungry every time for me, A clean sheet and no baggage of failure. I don't want another Penny, another Warnock another Moore another Wadsworth. The only managers in my 45+ years to have any success whatsoever have been young and hungry and I say we stuck with that. The odds as far as oafc are concerned say that works better than experience.

Therefore give me another Frizz, another Royle, another Dowie or another Shez. They are far more likely to bring us success.

Harry, as much as I always have respected your posts, for once, I dont..

I know your close to the club, possibly employed there with the reasoned thoughts, which is great and we appreciate it.

What I will say is that there are too many logiclal and clever fans on OWTB who will not put up with the :censored: spouted from within BP.

This appointment is a feckin massive risk, dont try and insult our intelligence by stating other.

this managerial appointment is the equivalent of trying a pirlo penalty when you're one - nil down and in the drop zone.

genius if it comes off, cataclysmic if it doesn't. a gigantic gamble.

one thing is for sure now though. corney is off with whatever he can salvage from this expensive failure. if he was staying we'd have appointed a proven manager.

Edited by Luis Enrique

The club can do no wrong in some fans eyes,

The only experience he's got is in property management not :censored:in football management. Dickov had fire in his belly didn't he?

Some people need to take their rose tinted spectacles off... before you know it you'll be creaming yourselves at the prospect of a derby against Stockport in the pritt stick league 3.

Your entitled to your opinion as much as I'm entitled to mine.

Will LJ be a success for us or will he even keep us up? I don't know. BUT rose tinted or not the stats as far as oafc are concerned are that rookoes have mre success for us than experienced managers.

I'll stick to my own thanks but won't begrudge you yours

Harry, as much as I always have respected your posts, for once, I dont..

I know your close to the club, possibly employed there with the reasoned thoughts, which is great and we appreciate it.

What I will say is that there are too many logiclal and clever fans on OWTB who will not put up with the :censored: spouted from within BP.

This appointment is a feckin massive risk, dont try and insult our intelligence by stating other.

Nothing to do with the club. Purley my opinion. Look at the bottom of every post I make. It's been there for years and I stick by it. Consistency on my part nothing else

I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume none of the rookie managers we've appointed were appointed with Latics in the position we're in now, or similar? That's the difference.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Your entitled to your opinion as much as I'm entitled to mine.

Will LJ be a success for us or will he even keep us up? I don't know. BUT rose tinted or not the stats as far as oafc are concerned are that rookoes have mre success for us than experienced managers.

I'll stick to my own thanks but won't begrudge you yours

Wasn't a dig at you personally harry, just in general at the way some are all relaxed about one of the strangest and most important managerial appointments in the club s recent history.

I really dont understand how people are questioning the uproar on here. How can they not expect the negativity?

For everyone spouting on about Joe Royle and how similar it may be

the game has moved on from the one that gave JR his first job in managment- do we think in this day and age in this current format of the game we are going to give a manager 7 yearrs or more before we see any success?

if we are why didnt we do that with any of the previous 5 managers?

Nothing to do with the club. Purley my opinion. Look at the bottom of every post I make. It's been there for years and I stick by it. Consistency on my part nothing else

It wasnt a dig Harry, far from it... Historically you have always told the story from the clubs point of view, ( apologies if I have misread that) hence the reasoning for my post.

Big Joe and Jimmy Frizz were known in the footballing community, course we want Lee to succeed but I am uneasy putting my trust into someone i do not know. I f we were mid table and safe than fine, this is one hell of an appointment.

Harry, nothing personal against you you are a poster I have always respected. But i fear the club have got this one wrong.

I posted elsewhere but Big Joe would have had instant respect in the dressing room because of his playing record. Johnson simply will not have that. I don't want to sound like an echo here, but it's the timing that's the problem.

In the same way we ruin a lot of our young players by throwing them into a failing team with no confidence, I fear the same will happen with this manager.

Thats a fair opinion Ghost. I don't have the answers, just an opinion. I could be wrong but I look back n stats as much as anything and if i'm wrong then so be it. I just don't think someone like Phil Brown will save us from the drop so would rather look elsewhere.

The most improtant thing in all this debate is that we stay up. In 7 weeks we will have an answer

This guy must give one hell of a job interview. I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't apply for the job now.

The thing is we dont know what he has said in the interview he might actually know quite alot he might know more about our club about league 1 and about coaching than we think.

ahem

Joe Royle

Iian Dowie

sometimes a cracking interview from an unlikely candidate works out

The first had time, the second had money. This time we have neither. I wish him well. If we stay up it'll be a brilliant start to his career in management. I wish him well.

On the basis of the comments on this thread none of you would have appointed Royle and you would all still welcome Warnock. It beggars belief.

Right or wrong we appear to have gone for young and hungry over experience.

For those clamouring for experience, did Warnock save us (and with a fair bit of cash to spend by our standards)? Did Redknap keep up Southampton? The answer is no. Experience isn't everything and I would prefer this appointment to Phil Brown whose record with struggling sides at Derby and Preston was poor.

Lee Johnson was a warrior in his games for Bristol against us and the type of player with some fire in his belly a fire that yesterdays gutless 1st half showed we are missing now. He worked his socks off fo his team and if he is appointed tomorrow I expect he will bring that ethic with him.

Young and hungry every time for me, A clean sheet and no baggage of failure. I don't want another Penny, another Warnock another Moore another Wadsworth. The only managers in my 45+ years to have any success whatsoever have been young and hungry and I say we stuck with that. The odds as far as oafc are concerned say that works better than experience.

Therefore give me another Frizz, another Royle, another Dowie or another Shez. They are far more likely to bring us success.

I'll get behind him as we all should but an untried, untested, unheard of manager is just mental in our situation. It may work out and he might keep us up but its such a big gamble when the whole clubs future is in the balance. Are the players, who can't be arsed motivating themselves to play for their mate Dickov, or TP who is one of the clubs most respected and supported members then how are they gonna react to a 31 year old who's never managed anywhere or played to a specifically high level? I would imagine they'll carry on as they are and nothing will change

Lets not forget with dowie he would have got the job a year earlier but ended up being assistant to wadsworth. What might happen is an experienced man might come in till end of the saeson with johnson as assistant then he takes over in the summer.

You have to wonder why the lad (and at 31 I think its a suitable term) would want this as his first stab at management.

No connections to the team, therefore must know that he will be given less grace than starting at an old stomping ground.

Team in a terrible position with relegation a big risk. First line on his management CV could well be 'got Oldham relegated' in a season where those that are not connected closely to the club will have seen a 'decent team on TV'.

Presumably aware of the state of the finances / ground / team etc.

And as the youngest manager in the league, will have all this plus the need to try to impose himself on a dressing room that will not have any immediate respect for him.

Fair play to the lad - he must have some self-confidence to pick up this challenge and for that I respect him.

As for why the club has chosen him as a manager? Difficult to say, and the thread is full of speculation, theories and emotional outbursts. For me I have said on a number of occasions when we are looking for a new manager, you tend to have 2 choices:

1) An experienced manager with previous success, but has failed more recently at one or more clubs. You appoint in the hope that they can re-create what they had previously and have learnt from what they have done recently. This approach has never been that successful at Oldham (Wadsworth, Talbot, Penny, Moore and Warnock) - though the latter 2 have proved that they did still have it with success at subsequent clubs to Oldham. It doesn't mean that it would never be successful though.

2) A newbie. Never failed, never succeeded. New ideas, enthusiasm. Generally received well, particularly if they have had a successful playing career in comparison to the current set of 1st team players - "they have played at the highest level", "players will look up to them" etc. This has had mixed success at Oldham - Royle is the obvious success - but others have been a mixed bag (Ritchie, Sharp, Sheridan, Dickov, Dowie).

Both options are a gamble with no magic bullet to guarantee success. LJ (if appointed) fits squarely into the latter category but without a 'successful career' or connection to the club. But in all honesty, these are not factors that effect the individuals success, but just the opinion and time given to them by the fans. LJ will be starting on the back foot in this area.

Interestingly, the last time we got rid of a manager at a crucial time of the season (on the outskirts of the play-offs) we chose option 1. And I think there was a majority of people that were delighted at the time (as we would have been this time with Dowie) when we brought in Joe Royle. Didn't work out that time sadly. Joe went about 7 games without a win before winning the last game before leaving at the end of the season.

Would LJ have been on anyone's list? Doubt it. Certainly not on mine. I don't know him and therefore cannot judge him on anything. We all have views on players we know that might have stepped up (thought personally that Paul Murray was brought back to potentially take up the role), players we know, managers we have seen before etc. Complete lack of knowledge on someone does not mean that they are no good, not up for the task - nor the other way round.

If he does get appointed, he will get my full support and come rain, shine and relegation. I'll be there again in August. I hope, that once the initial shock, disappointment, anger and all the other emotions fade - the majority of the fans do the same.

KTF (if you can)