Lee Johnson in frame for Manager's job

I get the feeling there's an experienced number 2 coming in - there has to be….

You would have to question corneys sanity if their wasn't. I really hope we are all eating humble pie and this proves to be a masterstroke but I'm quite scared by this appointment

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked out Karl Robinson on Wiki, shocked me to find he'd only played the game at non league level! Ok he coached at at high level but he was a real rookie who's gone on to have a decent career in management. I'm as underwhelmed as everyone else in respect to the imminent appointment of A Rookie but until we know the full facts, lets just keep things in perspective.

No way he is he riding solo on this one, there's gonna be an older head as part of his team and I'm sure Corney will take great pleasure in broadcasting to the nation once again, with his reasons for his actions. I'm pretty sure the full picture will look a lot better once the negative has been fully developed!

Johnson's appointment is terrible news for the club.

Having to justify the expense when the team are performing so poorly is difficult in the current financial climate and whilst it is great for people like Pete to judge, I for one won't be renewing my season ticket as I no longer feel that I can justify the cost when I have a wife and kids that are more important.

Sad day for OAFC

I hope you're not saying that I don't have to make financial judgements ? What does "people like" me mean?

Evening chaps

Bristol City fan here. I am quite interested in this Lee Johnson story as he was a key part of our team from 06-12. Seems a real risk appointing him due to his age and current league position BUT Lee Johnson, IMO, as someone who has watched him as a part of our squad for a fair few years has a great deal of good credentials for management.

Obviously having a father who has been fairly successful as a manager helps, his uncle Pete is/was also a scout and Lee has been involved with the youth systems at Arsenal and Watford as well as playing for Hearts and Killie north of the border so is well travelled and has certainly has a few connections he's built up over the years.

Lee is also a bright boy - he owns a small property portfolio which he has built up and it's worth a fair bit now - he's not you're average footballer in terms of intelligence and that comes across in his interviews too.

He also is a real model pro. When things weren't going so well for us Lee was an easy target due to him being Gary's son (suggestions of nepotism etc) but during that time he gave nothing less than his all and carried on trying his hardest despite the undeserved critisism he was receiving for Gary's repeated selection of him when times were rough!

Lee has been involved in successful sides. With Yeovil I believe they won two promotions and a football league trophy. He's achieved promotion with Bristol City and also won Scottish cups with Hearts and Killie off the top of my head so knows what is needed for a successful side.

I appreciate this information may seem irrelevant in his potential managerial ability but I believe he has the credentials to be successful. If he gets the job I will keep an eye out for your results as he was a real credit to Bristol City during his time here.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by Ben Wilson

Its also worth pointing out that avb mourinho wenger benitez houllier hodgson all never made it as players and look what they accomplished in management. I'm clutching at straws like but their is always hope!

Not clutching at straws at all, it is often the case that good players dont make good managers and vice versa. Johnson could turn out to be an excellent manager or :censored:e, we just don;t know.

Cheers for that Ben :) To be honest, as underwhelmed as I am, I'm still quite excited by the prospect of this appointment

No problem, It is a big risk but one i'd love to see pay off. If it happens I really hope it works out.

So you'd have no problem with him taking the reigns at your gaff then Ben, right in the middle of your relegation battle!

Yes I would! - I don't blame you guys at all for being concerned about this potential appointment! I would be too! Ideally would be a close season appointment with a full pre season. Just providing some info based on his BCFC years.

Edited by Ben Wilson

No smoke without fire and seems like it's nailed on which confirms 1 thing:

Corney has gone for the cheapest deal until the end of the season to reduce his costs, at the end of the year he'll sell off all our best assets and get as much money back from the club as possible before disappearing into the sunset, he's a businessman at the end of the day and if you think he cares about OAFC then you live in cuckoo land, yes he's funded us and saved us in the past, which I thank him for but at the end of the day the bigger picture for doing this was to try and make a success of the club for his own financial rewards. The cup run has benefited two sets of people long term, Corney and the players who starred in front of the tv cameras who will get a better club next season. The fans got the special moments in them games only but won't benefit long term because the money won't be used to improve the club, it's a golden handshake for Corney to walk with.

I personally wanted Dowie like most others but it's obvious because of his higher wage demands he wasn't getting the job.

The only thing I don't understand with corney is if he's wanting to sell off the club then surely a team in league 1 for 2013-2014 season is worth more than 1 in league 2, and surely an experienced manager would have more chance in this, so Corney would be making a short term investment for the longer term benefit of selling the club for next season with getting a Dowie type manager in.

Anyhow, if it is Johnson then yes it's not ideal but can't understand people saying they will walk away from the club, if you are a true fan you'd never walk away until the gates were closed and the club went extinct and even then you'd be trying to support a way of funding a new club by OAFC.

I for one will be going on Tuesday and getting behind the new manager and team because now more than ever is when the fans need to be behind the team. Yes barring the cup run the performances have been a shower of sh*t and we all feel done over by Corney but let's not all walk away without a fight because we still have a great chance of staying up.

No problem, It is a big risk but one i'd love to see pay off. If it happens I really hope it works out.

Yes I would! - I don't blame you guys at all for being concerned about this potential appointment! I would be too! Ideally would be a close season appointment with a full pre season. Just providing some info based on his BCFC years.

The more you post, the more you actually sound as though you could be Lee himself .... :clint:

Observations on the basis that I know nothing about Lee Johnson and his appointment is still a rumour:

The happenings at BP in the last 3mths are unique and are far from finalised, resulting in the unusual situation of comparisons being unavailable.

Johnson would be an unbelievably odd appointment on the face of it.

He must have made some impression at interview. Dickov was a biggish name when he talked himself into the job, nobody has heard of Johnson.

If Johnson hit the ground running it would be a massive stroke of luck. Or, genius.

‘IF’ new owners are in the pipeline you would think they would never condone a kamikaze managerial appointment (even short term) getting us relegated.

If no one is in in the pipeline relegation would again be a major negative in attracting a buyer.

If Corney is thinking of doing a Moore’s (I doubt it) why has he put in a planning application in the middle of the up evil and given Baxter a two and a half year contract.

I know it’s madness but I can’t help thinking that all of this is NOT going where we think.

If he is our new num1 I sincerely hope the majority of us have egg on our face come the end of April.

Can he really be coming in as top dog? I can’t believe he is.

But, if he is I will in all fairness give him a chance. He may well impress the lads in the dressing room the same as he must have Corney. We have only 7 weeks to wait for the outcome and probably only 10 days to smell blood.