• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's really any excusing it. Whether you use an agent or not, a quick phonecall to say thanks but no thanks is the right thing to do.

On a side note, odd to think the four players in your signature gif have now all left the club.

And on the subject of that gif, I was mesmerised it the other day and spotted Simpson's run which I hadn't seen before, whilst Coates doesn't go the full way with him Simmo does drag him out of position slightly which creates more space for Smith to attack.

He's a loss and anybody saying otherwise are wrong. I can't stand the argument 'we were awful last season so I don't care who goes'. That's not progressive whatsoever. It's too much of a generalisation of the team and doesn't reflect the poor management and fitness we had from right at the beginning. Individuals are good enough, the team weren't as a collective unit.

There are players who I would be indifferent to if they left but then players like Croft, Smith, Baxter, Grounds we have to attempt to keep for next season to improve otherwise we'll potentially end up with the same scenario we had last season, or worse.

Sad he's gone but we move on and replace him and I'm pleased LJ has been strong with his deadlines and hopefully this means he won't have his favourites...The only thing I'd be disappointed in is if Crofty moved to another club in this league having said earlier in the window he'd only move up a league or he'd stay with us. I know footballers words don't count for much but I genuinely did think he was an honest guy...

Edited by NewBlue

53 games - no goals... we definitely need a replacement who will do better than that. Maybe it will give Millar more of a chance this season to secure a place as a fast winger.

but he did get a shedload of assists and it means that we'll be having a new player having to settle in rather than Crofty just getting on with it.

If any of the retained players are arriving back to pre-season training thinking of 'just getting on with it' they are deluded. Johnson's first 10 games were a make do and mend exercise.

Can definitely see Crofty ending up at Doncaster. What is everyone thinking about Doncaster's chances in the Championship? Personally I think they will just about stay up this season.

Not every player that does not renew his contract or leaves the club will end up at Doncaster, otherwise, they may as well change their name to Doncaster Athletic. If it does become the case however, then I can only see a repeat of what happened at Latics last season.

Croft is replaceable, but good luck to him.

Well done LJ... a manager who MANAGES..... Crofty is a silly boy imho and explains why he has been in the position hes in. An asset yes irreplaceable certainly not.

Love the fact LJ says someone better.....

Hardly going to say we'll be looking to bring in someone worse is he?

I'm disappointed he is leaving, we can go and grab a winger from anywhere but I'm not convinced they will show the same work ethic and desire crofty did towards the end of the season.

Personally I'm more disappointed at Crofty going over JYM going (if or when) People are bewildering me on here talking about JYM like he is the next Beckenbauer! I think I must be watching a different player that everytime he gets the ball I tense my whole body like I have dropped a vase! The impending f*ck up isn't far away! I think we could do with some experience, we have been at our best recently when we have an old head in there, the Sheridans, Gregan, Eyres etc

I only saw him in the cup games and thought he was fat, slow and pretty one of the worse players on the pitch...

Apart from setting up the first against Everton by muscling off Osman, running it from the half way line and putting it on a plate for Obina.

Apart from setting up the first against Everton by muscling off Osman, running it from the half way line and putting it on a plate for Obina.

Good assist for Smith's 2nd against Liverpool to (and completley intended pass to Yousef for the first.... honest)!

To not stay doesn't bother me, he is entitled to go elsewhere.

To not reply shows a lack of respect

With you on that Ryan, but it doesn't surprise me in the least.

My lad sponsored Croft's bootlaces last season and my daughter sponsored JYM. At the last game of the season all the kids who sponsored players were invited to come along before the game to meet their player and have their photo taken with them etc.

On the day the kids all met in the lounge and were all taken down the tunnel and out onto the edge of the pitch where they met their players and what have you. Virtually every other member of the squad gave their sponsoring child a gift - mostly it was a pair of signed boots or some signed training kit. A nice memento for the kid. LC managed to show up empty handed and late - had been more interested in sorting out his tickets for the Orient game I think. So we were left hanging a round a bit waiting for him to make an appearance. Thankfully my lad is only 4 so he never really twigged, but I just thought it showed a bit of a lack of thought/care. But as has already been raised by somebody else, some players are far more interested in the ‘party/glamour side’ of being a footballer than the serious responsible side.

Ah well.

Good assist for Smith's 2nd against Liverpool to (and completley intended pass to Yousef for the first.... honest)!

Clutching at straws but he was the one who gave Howard a shove and stood in front of him for the equaliser against Everton too (only know as I watched it again yesterday). Certainly played his part in the cup run.

I only saw him in the cup games and thought he was fat, slow and pretty one of the worse players on the pitch...

I don't know what you were watching. He was excellent against Liverpool and probably our man of the match in both Everton games.

He just tweeted he never received any kind of offer, interesting.

Player of the year, 50 odd games, very disappointed with latics if true. Possibly a communication error with his manager but we should have offered a contract out of respect even if we know that it was way below what he would accept.

Best of luck Crofty and thanks for this season.

As an individual player he'll be very hard to replace. Lots of assists, relative consistency for a winger and the support he offered full backs defensively are skills that tricky pacy wingers seldom offer.

But considering that LJ is reshaping the whole of our attacking strategy I don't think it'l be that big a loss. To be honest I don't see anyone apart from Baxter being a big loss, not even JYM.

Looked like he was running in porridge and most of what he produced was useless...

He got 12 assists in the league last season.

Add to that assists against Sheffield Wednesday, Liverpool, Everton and possibly more in other cup games.

If Dayton gets 15+ assists next season I'll be delighted but very surprised.