Latics most entertaining players ?

It looks like Sydney Schmeltz is going to provide fans with lots of entertainment with his box of tricks, who from the past or present would you include on a list of the most entertaining Latics players ?

Bobby Johnstone, Alan Groves, Simon Stainrod and Ricky Holden spring to my mind.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like Sydney Schmeltz is going to provide fans with lots of entertainment with his box of tricks, who from the past or present would you include on a list of the most entertaining Latics players ?

Bobby Johnstone, Alan Groves, Simon Stainrod and Ricky Holden spring to my mind.

I'd probably add Carl Valentine to that list

Tricky Ricky for me absolute class, played at the highest level told reports things like "We are gonna stuff Watford on Saturday" Brilliant........

My Favourite team entertainment moment was the American football inspired celebration after we scored (Clyde scored I think?) against Huddersfield at home a few years back.

Wellens when he took a few on was a joy to watch - his goal v Bristol City being a prime example.

Chris Taylor in full flow was good although it was always a case of "imagine what a goal that would have been"

Eyres

Hopefully the shackles will be back off NEW MOSTON BECKENBAUER this season and we can once again behold some mazy runs from the back

Hopefully we'll be able to add Dayton to the list within a few months

This topic got me thinking of some of the funnier Latics moments I'd seen:

- Rick H against Man U (FA Cup Semi 1989/90) taking a throw in........no-one to throw to so he plays it off Phelan's back.

- Ian Wright for Arsenal running towards the Chaddy and gets caught offside......as he is trotting back to the halfway line, Paul Gerrard spots the ball and launches it into the back of Wright's head and leaves him mud-munching on the deck. Fair play to him though, I remember him getting up laughing.

But the funniest for me:

- Paul "Pickled" Durkin refereeing against Chelsea in the FA Cup and receives a ketchup soaked sausage roll on the back of his head......has a feel and looks at something wet and sees "blood" not ketchup and staggers like he's been hit with 'Enry's 'Ammer.

Aaah....memories!!!