Jamie Carragher made a career for himself and wasn't lightning.

There are too many players in today's game that are all pace and no brains and if took their pace away they would be fooked!

A good football brain can take you a long way!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing a footballer-especially a defender needs in this modern game is pace and I'm afraid that Tarky ain,t got it and its something you cannot achieve thru training. You either have or you don,t. In the older days footballers who could "read" a game got away with it-John Hurst was a great example, more recently Simon Charlton.

If we can get £500,000 plus for him snatch their arm off at the elbow.

Must not bite on the can't improve speed with training.....i'll be here all night

The one thing a footballer-especially a defender needs in this modern game is pace and I'm afraid that Tarky ain,t got it and its something you cannot achieve thru training. You either have or you don,t. In the older days footballers who could "read" a game got away with it-John Hurst was a great example, more recently Simon Charlton.

If we can get £500,000 plus for him snatch their arm off at the elbow.

I don't thing great pace is more essential in today game than it was in the past, Rio Ferdinand even now can handle most Premiership strikers on the ground.

The 40 year old Goodison led JCH down blind alleys yesterday.

Edited by BP1960

Rio Ferdinand is now 34 yrs old and in his prime was as quick as any forward, if anybody has 'experience' then he has it in spades-Goodison is now as you say 40yrs old and surely qualifies as 'experienced' hardly fair to compare a 20yr old lad with these.

Maguire never seen him although he did score against Latics last season-played for U21's so must have something.

You cannot be serious when you say pace is no more essential today than it was in the past-the game today is soooo much quicker than in the past.

Rio Ferdinand is now 34 yrs old and in his prime was as quick as any forward, if anybody has 'experience' then he has it in spades-Goodison is now as you say 40yrs old and surely qualifies as 'experienced' hardly fair to compare a 20yr old lad with these.

Maguire never seen him although he did score against Latics last season-played for U21's so must have something.

You cannot be serious when you say pace is no more essential today than it was in the past-the game today is soooo much quicker than in the past.

"Slow" centre half's are also so much quicker than in the past. It's all relative.

I assume you never saw David Shaw play for the Latics in the 1960/70s, the fastest striker Iv'e ever seen at any level, there were many other speed merchants too back then.

Edited by BP1960

You're new here and, therefore, don't realise how cruel this is to me if you've made it up.
I hope your info is legit....
I have no reason to wind anyone up. I will keep you informed if I hear any news. A Tarky fan?
No! But do know of him through junior football.

I saw David Shaw many times in those years, I was at Liverpool when he scored right in front of me-yes he was fast but in his time-against modern footballers he would probably be quick but nothing special. How do you compare the pace of somebody 30 years ago with somebody now? You really think David Shaw was quicker than Andrei Kanchelskis who ripped us apart for instance or Theo Walcott now?

Now if you want to talk about those golden years then there was Jim Fryatt-still best header of a ball I have ever seen.

I saw David Shaw many times in those years, I was at Liverpool when he scored right in front of me-yes he was fast but in his time-against modern footballers he would probably be quick but nothing special. How do you compare the pace of somebody 30 years ago with somebody now? You really think David Shaw was quicker than Andrei Kanchelskis who ripped us apart for instance or Theo Walcott now?

Now if you want to talk about those golden years then there was Jim Fryatt-still best header of a ball I have ever seen.

Andrei Kanchelskis was indeed rapido...

My heart says its not true, we don't need to sell do we?

He's broke into the first team, getting exposure (how rude), let him be.

But if he wants to go?....noooooooooooooo not to Pube head mark robins.

Nightmare, jog on udders.

Close the damn transfer window...grrrrr

Get. The. Feck. In.

Really interested to see how the Tarky & Kusunga partnership works out, with Matteo and Grounds doing the FB roles.

On paper, a big, strong, powerful back 4 with all of them being very comfortable on the ball (granted basing that in videos of Genseric)

Hope it works out on the pitch.

Back OT, really glad Tarky stays (for now I guess)