Much of the anti-youth sentiment originates from fans of a similar age to the players and is plain and simple jealousy.

Im of a similar age to Tarky and I would be gutted if he went, along with any other youngster we sold who was showing promise

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the anti-youth sentiment originates from fans of a similar age to the players and is plain and simple jealousy.

I'd say that I liked most of our young players but am concerned I'd get pulled in under Operation Yewtree

we just can't get rid of tarky aswell, unless the few is MASSIVE it's not worth seeing him off... especially not to huddersfield, he's a talent in the making and i said this when he was about 17/18! hold out for a massive sum or keep hold simple

The development of all the young players will accelerate this season as they now have proper coaching and management. Tarky, along with the others, has been held back, and will show huge improvement this season. Any yes, apart from pace (which I'm sure they will work on) he has got lots of talent, including leadership ability and a winning mentality.

Lee, We clearly see things differently because Grounds has been cat piss defensively after the honeymoon period of him signing. Countless times he's allowed his man to get a cross in or gave a FK/pen away.

As for Byrne, obviously he was a great defender a few years ago but come on, the man has that little pace it puts us under pressure time and time again. Also, you only have to look at the Suarez goal last season. I know it was Suarez yes, but the defending was comical.

In Tarky, I have never seem such a young lad be so completely dominant in the air and so assured with the ball at his feet. He also chips in with a goal or two.

Put it this way. With Tarky in our defence, I feel a lot more confident than I would without him. I cannot believe that any Oldham fan would hand on heart prefer Cliff in instead of James.

With Baxter I'm in the pity he has gone but better now than in January so a team can be built without him - witness how many strikers and midfield players we have. Tarky however plays in our only area of shortage. To lose M'voto and then Tarky would be an admission of also ran status UNLESS the fee is massive because his potential is massive and we have two days to find a replacement when good CBs are in short supply. An undisclosed fee or cheap transfer and I might start to lose my faith and trust in LJ.

Cliff Byrne. He might be slow as piss, but he's a very, very good defender...

On this season's showings, would you rather put Byrne it at Centre-Half than Tarkowski? Nice bloke an all that but the fact we seem to be looking to strengthen at both CH and RB sooner than Byrne making either position his own says a lot for me.

Swap deal with Peter Clarke will do me.

Er, no.

It's clear that the whole way we set up needs centre backs that are comfortable receiving the ball and selecting the right option so we attack from the back in the same way that we're also supposed to press & defend from the front. A lump at centre half would make the whole thing break down.

I couldn't give a monkeys about playing out from the back - it's a nice airy fairy philosophy but if we've got any pretensions in being successful then what we need is a quality centre half who can organise that defence, pushing, pulling and shouting the others into position.

I couldn't give a monkeys about playing out from the back - it's a nice airy fairy philosophy but if we've got any pretensions in being successful then what we need is a quality centre half who can organise that defence, pushing, pulling and shouting the others into position.

"We lost the game, but we won the passing..."

Not at all : I want him to do well for us, I love nothing more than a home grown player playing for us. I had countless arguements in the Lookers and RRE defending Eardley and Taylor when they were getting pelters.

But I don't see it with Tarkowski. He reminds me of Paul Jones we got from Leigh RMI a few years back. Hope I'm proved wrong in the long term, but can't see it...

How many games have you seen him play this season?

I could not disagree more. I find much of the anti youth sentiment originates from our flat cap wearing set in their ways old :censored:. But I would agree on the jealousy part.