Adam Rooney

Is it a free transfer ?

I'd imagine so, or maybe a nominal fee. The biggest thing for us is that we wouldn't be paying his wages for the next 18 months, nor would we have to pay him off.

A real shame it didn't work out, but it wasn't for a lack of trying on anyone's part and it's the best thing for all parties that he does move. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets 20 goals in a season in the right setup.

As for us, I'd guess this would free up wages for a striker with decent pedigree. Maguire looks impressive and I wouldn't mind us taking a gamble on someone from non-league, but not at the expense of a current league player who's ready, willing and able right now.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every manager makes signings which don't quite come off, very often for no obvious reason.

The only exception is Moyes at United who so far has really only had one flop.......

Sir Alex with Bebe was a massive flop.

Many years ago I spotted a lad in Sunday league football called Tony Ellis and recommended him to a top flight club midlands club, he was signed instead by the Latics and released after only 8 appearances, I'm still not sure to this day why he flopped here when he went on to do well later with several Championship clubs. (382 appearances 149 goals).

He's now the academy manager at Rochdale.

Edited by BP1960

BP1960 your so full of :censored: always making stuff up. You should phone Mike (NUFC) Ashley and see if you can have Joe Kinnears job.

That's uncalled for, I recommended a few players to Peter Taylor (who I worked for) at the time, some you win some you lose and Ellis was just one, many kids I sent down never got past trials.

The point I am making is that players can flop at one club, but do well at another.

Edited by BP1960

Don't rise to it BP

Just another wind up

Thanks Pete, but I had to react to such an unfounded accusation, for his information Brian Clough and Peter Taylor thought enough of me to keep me on for many years.

Edited by BP1960

Every manager makes signings which don't quite come off, very often for no obvious reason.

The only exception is Moyes at United who so far has really only had one flop.......

No mata no mata. Moyes will have chance to wreck that impressive record soon.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Many years ago I spotted a lad in Sunday league football called Tony Ellis and recommended him to a top flight club midlands club, he was signed instead by the Latics and released after only 8 appearances, I'm still not sure to this day why he flopped here when he went on to do well later with several Championship clubs. (382 appearances 149 goals).

Wasn't he from Salford? Went to Preston? I actually liked him but i think we were going up to a level which was just out of his reach.

I think our level was too high for him at the time which was the equivalent of the champinship. He spent the vast majority of his career in division 3 and 4. The clubs are now championship but they were not during his time with them. Had a good career though at Burnley, Preston and Blackpool if I remember rightly?

Out of the players they signed whilst he was in charge, 1 flop, who is the only player that has played is a good record. I hope he keeps it up

Wasn't he from Salford? Went to Preston? I actually liked him but i think we were going up to a level which was just out of his reach.

Yes, played for a lot of Lancashire clubs, you could see his ability but didn't look very fit to me during his time here and maybe needed another season to show his best.

I actually thought Wes Wilkinson had something (many on here will shudder at the thought) and those who remember Andy Sweeney might say the same.

We don't always know why they fail to make the grade.

Yes, played for a lot of Lancashire clubs, you could see his ability but didn't look very fit to me during his time here and maybe needed another season to show his best.

I actually thought Wes Wilkinson had something (many on here will shudder at the thought) and those who remember Andy Sweeney might say the same.

To be fair to Latics (and Ellis) that was our playoff season and we had a fantastic team already. We probably could not afford the money on developing players or allow him more time in the first team.

I always felt we didn't see the best of Wilkinson, definitely had something worth gambling on.