North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been past it in cars and buses before but walked past for the first time over the weekend. I hadn't realised how pronounced the curve is. I really am the least arsed person in the world about how grounds look, but I love it.

Aren't those walls for the exits going to block views for shorter fans / children ?

That occurred to me too, but looking at that photo, and given that a seat would be placed on each step, I doubt they would be an obstacle to any but the smallest of people, and even then only if they are sat right against wall.

It would be nice though to see a picture of someone sat in situ just to verify it.

That occurred to me too, but looking at that photo, and given that a seat would be placed on each step, I doubt they would be an obstacle to any but the smallest of people, and even then only if they are sat right against wall.

It would be nice though to see a picture of someone sat in situ just to verify it.

Its hard to tell from the picture but I would imagine young children are going to struggle in those seats. Something to keep in mind if you are looking at getting season tickets in that stand.

Its hard to tell from the picture but I would imagine young children are going to struggle in those seats. Something to keep in mind if you are looking at getting season tickets in that stand.

The (booster) cushion sellers are going to do a roaring trade then!!

I don't know but I would imagine there wouldn't be seats directly behind the wall and it would be a small gangway/walkway

Exactly. If you look very closely, you can (I think) make out steps to the immediate left of the tunnel. That bit just looks a bit higher than the rest of the terracing. If there weren't steps there, how do you get to the higher seats without climbing over all the lower ones and their occupants? Unless the steps are at the left hand side of the final section, of course.

Exactly. If you look very closely, you can (I think) make out steps to the immediate left of the tunnel. That bit just looks a bit higher than the rest of the terracing. If there weren't steps there, how do you get to the higher seats without climbing over all the lower ones and their occupants? Unless the steps are at the left hand side of the final section, of course.

You're right, looking again there are definitely steps. Phew, the kids won't miss a thing.

Perhaps they intend to lengthen the pitch. :wink:

They didn't intend to lengthen the pitch, but they did intend to move the pitch about 20 yards in that direction, never happened so they've got a stand that's 20 yards out of position...

They didn't intend to lengthen the pitch, but they did intend to move the pitch about 20 yards in that direction, never happened so they've got a stand that's 20 yards out of position...

Brings back memories of Blackpool in 2002 when the pitch had been moved significantly for the ground re-development.

That wooden stand behind the goal was awful.

I seem to recall something about this being sorted when other stands are rebuilt.

In this case esp the Main stand. But no need to do it yet, and obvs not mid season. Apologies if I have misunderstood you.

Wolves got stuck like this in the late 80s. They built a new stand a pitch width away from the existing pitch, with a view to moving the other stands across, but ran out of money. When we played them on the opening game of the 90/91 season (what a game!)two stands were unsafe to use, we were behind the goal alongside Wolves fans with the main stand seemingly acres away.

Wolves got stuck like this in the late 80s. They built a new stand a pitch width away from the existing pitch, with a view to moving the other stands across, but ran out of money. When we played them on the opening game of the 90/91 season (what a game!)two stands were unsafe to use, we were behind the goal alongside Wolves fans with the main stand seemingly acres away.

Slight exaggeration there, it wasn't a pitch away more like 25yds.....but you're right about the game, 2 v 3 to us with a Marshall hat-trick and a great following if I remember right!!

Archived