North Stand Construction Thread

There will be a bar pre and post match.....it's just not that easy to open up a full time bar and restaurant and control costs to make it cost effective.....the club don't want to franchise it out as if they were going to do that they may as well just make more office space and get a guaranteed higher income

I will repeat my thoughts that these things need to be done bit by bit in the following order to make sure we get it right as you generally only get one chance to Impress!

Supporters bar - on match days before and after the game

Sell the boxes - looks like they will have half a season to impress potential suitors

Conferencing - get people using it 7 days a week....weddings, meetings, exhibitions, etc etc

Supporters bar 7 days a week

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wetherpoons would never entertain it. Only genuine trading period for 1-6pm every other Saturday for 9 months of the year. Spoons are about trading 8am-12a Mon-Sun.

Families drive from all around the area to pay £15 for a rubber steak a few hundred yards away.

It'd be a gold mine for them knocking out a beer and a burger at a fiver.

Or a snide £4.95 carvery - I had a meeting in the middle of nowhere near Burnley a while back on a Tuesday lunchtime and there was a carvery across the way doing a roaring trade

Supporters bar

Yes, yes I know but listen - Starkies at Gigg Lane was transformed into Course You Can Malcolm (CYCM or Malcolmses), billed as The Manchester club night that just happens to be in the afternoon and at the wrong end of the tramline - before matches at about half one and during half time it featured 20 minute sets from local bands, poets, theatre and so on. Locally made grub was served too, the whole thing was pretty good...

http://www.afinelung.com/?tag=course-you-can-malcolm

I'm not disagreeing with you at all I'm just saying by delaying it until we have the conferencing side of things set up first

I used to regularly attend the Friday afternoon Curry, Pint, Comedian and Guest speaker events put on by Stockport.....used to be sold out every fortnight

The good news is I'm told that the will be plush seating tables and screens in the supporters bar from the outset so it won't take that much tweaking to open it up full time

The planning permission granted for the North Stand did not include a hotel.

Yes but if my memory serves me well, we applied for outline planning permission for the Chaddy including a hotel.

Doesn't really matter though, the point being is that SC originally wanted a hotel, so it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility that he would want one still.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all I'm just saying by delaying it until we have the conferencing side of things set up first

I used to regularly attend the Friday afternoon Curry, Pint, Comedian and Guest speaker events put on by Stockport.....used to be sold out every fortnight

The good news is I'm told that the will be plush seating tables and screens in the supporters bar from the outset so it won't take that much tweaking to open it up full time

Then that's a little bit of piece of mind, anything is better than what we currently have in the other three stands.

The Conference side of this business might not quite be 'gold mine' that some are alluding to. I hope the club have done thorough research here; and have sought advice and help from people inside that industry.

I work in it, and have for the last 15 years.

Day delegate rates on standard meeting rooms have been falling consistently for a number of years, and what the market now expects as standard for these reduced rates per head has risen dramatically. Items and 'extras' that used to be chargeable add-on's are now expected / demanded as part of the price bundles as standard.

If the club is going to push for this business, they'll need to have a number of key areas up and running & tried and tested before they even entertain letting paying conference clients in. If they start to run before they can walk; then quite simply, clients will visit once and then never come back again if the level of service provided isnt up to industry standard - in my experience; clients are certainly never shy in complaining if expectations arent being delivered upon.

There are a host of potential pit falls that could well become serious issues if not thoroughly planned in for - ranging from the C&B staff themselves, through to the conference facilities in the rooms and communial guest areas, the food and beverage services; from the simple coffee breaks right through to lunches and to full on silver services dinners and so on and so on.

Get it right, and there is chance for some non-matchday income streams, definately there is. But - get it even slightly wrong and that reputation will be nigh on impossible to shake off; especially from the corporate and wedding sectors.

I hope they've done (LJ term alert) their due diligence with this and are fully aware of what will be expected of them and what they need to do to get up to standard.

The Conference side of this business might not quite be 'gold mine' that some are alluding to. I hope the club have done thorough research here; and have sought advice and help from people inside that industry.

I work in it, and have for the last 15 years.

Day delegate rates on standard meeting rooms have been falling consistently for a number of years, and what the market now expects as standard for these reduced rates per head has risen dramatically. Items and 'extras' that used to be chargeable add-on's are now expected / demanded as part of the price bundles as standard.

If the club is going to push for this business, they'll need to have a number of key areas up and running & tried and tested before they even entertain letting paying conference clients in. If they start to run before they can walk; then quite simply, clients will visit once and then never come back again if the level of service provided isnt up to industry standard - in my experience; clients are certainly never shy in complaining if expectations arent being delivered upon.

There are a host of potential pit falls that could well become serious issues if not thoroughly planned in for - ranging from the C&B staff themselves, through to the conference facilities in the rooms and communial guest areas, the food and beverage services; from the simple coffee breaks right through to lunches and to full on silver services dinners and so on and so on.

Get it right, and there is chance for some non-matchday income streams, definately there is. But - get it even slightly wrong and that reputation will be nigh on impossible to shake off; especially from the corporate and wedding sectors.

I hope they've done (LJ term alert) their due diligence with this and are fully aware of what will be expected of them and what they need to do to get up to standard.

I know for certain Sly that they are leaving no stone unturned and I have myself met with SC to discuss some of the potential pitfalls however my experience has come from the food side of things (buying, quality and preparation) rather than the conferencing itself.

I know they want and need to speak to as many people as possible to make sure they do not make mistakes so why don't you do the club a favour and offer your clearly extensive experience directly? I know they are looking out for a Conference Manager!

Your comments above are why I have urged everyone to support the baby steps the club are hopefully taking and concentrating on conferencing rather than opening a 7 day a week supporters bar to begin with.

I know for certain Sly that they are leaving no stone unturned and I have myself met with SC to discuss some of the potential pitfalls however my experience has come from the food side of things (buying, quality and preparation) rather than the conferencing itself.

I know they want and need to speak to as many people as possible to make sure they do not make mistakes so why don't you do the club a favour and offer your clearly extensive experience directly? I know they are looking out for a Conference Manager!

Your comments above are why I have urged everyone to support the baby steps the club are hopefully taking and concentrating on conferencing rather than opening a 7 day a week supporters bar to begin with.

Right, who would i need to contact to offer my advice (if they want it??!!!)

...and i'm good for the possible job, more than happy in my current role!!!!

Went to pick up my season ticket today, training was just finishing. Seemed to be no workers at all on site at the stand. Not starting a conspiracy just an observation that nothing seemed to be happening

With respect that sounds just like you want to set a hare running again,

From the outside, the speed with which this project has progressed has made me wonder whether its a SC DIY job that he is doing at the weekends and after work ;-)

Seriously I am sure that there is a plan but compared to the speed with which some developments go up it does seem on the slow side.

Been catching up on this thread and am interested in the views on the supporters bar. I find myself thinking that the idea of a 7 day a week bar is perhaps not a great one business-wise.

A modern bar type place in the back of a football stand with nothing else realistically near by is going to have to be a 'destination' place for it to be a success i.e. people are going to have to make an effort to go there.

Its not fantastically located in terms of nearby residential housing (there is a bit but not loads), its not easy to get to without a car (not great for those wanting a beer), there is very little else nearby that would attract you to have a bit of a mooch round a few bars, and without a game I just cannot see that many people being bothered to go attend regularly to make it worthwhile. There will be the diehard faithful that will pledge to go and put money into the club, but this number isn't going to be sufficient in my opinion to make it succeed and even they might get a bit bored after a while a return to older, more traditional haunts.

It is unlikely to be anything spectacular in terms of food / drink offerings (electric pump standard beers and bog standard food) to make people want to travel out of their way. How many other bars in stands have you visited as an away fan that you thought - wow I wish this was my local pub?

I think that you start it as a match day experience and look to build it for some one-off type events. The pre-away game food/drink offer potentially if there is sufficient interest in the game; one-off quiz nights / award evenings etc. might be OK.

From the outside, the speed with which this project has progressed has made me wonder whether its a SC DIY job that he is doing at the weekends and after work ;-)

Seriously I am sure that there is a plan but compared to the speed with which some developments go up it does seem on the slow side.

Been catching up on this thread and am interested in the views on the supporters bar. I find myself thinking that the idea of a 7 day a week bar is perhaps not a great one business-wise.

A modern bar type place in the back of a football stand with nothing else realistically near by is going to have to be a 'destination' place for it to be a success i.e. people are going to have to make an effort to go there.

Its not fantastically located in terms of nearby residential housing (there is a bit but not loads), its not easy to get to without a car (not great for those wanting a beer), there is very little else nearby that would attract you to have a bit of a mooch round a few bars, and without a game I just cannot see that many people being bothered to go attend regularly to make it worthwhile. There will be the diehard faithful that will pledge to go and put money into the club, but this number isn't going to be sufficient in my opinion to make it succeed and even they might get a bit bored after a while a return to older, more traditional haunts.

It is unlikely to be anything spectacular in terms of food / drink offerings (electric pump standard beers and bog standard food) to make people want to travel out of their way. How many other bars in stands have you visited as an away fan that you thought - wow I wish this was my local pub?

I think that you start it as a match day experience and look to build it for some one-off type events. The pre-away game food/drink offer potentially if there is sufficient interest in the game; one-off quiz nights / award evenings etc. might be OK.

Tbh i dont think from the outset it would be good to aim it like you pitch above. But i could see it working as a business catch up destination. Many years ago in my teenage years while at collage i worked at mcdonalds on the retail park and the amount of people coming in for a working lunch was seriously high. Mainly reps, delivery drivers, etc. Many suited and booted. They held meetings over a big mac. Thjs is the sort of market you would be after in the working week. The shay wake in shaw is my local and during lunch hrs they attract very similar trade. When you add the market for staff and visitors to the hospital i reckon with the correct marketing the potential for midweek business is definately there.

Throw in a few quiz nights and such like midweek and a 7 day operation could definately work.

Tbh i dont think from the outset it would be good to aim it like you pitch above. But i could see it working as a business catch up destination. Many years ago in my teenage years while at collage i worked at mcdonalds on the retail park and the amount of people coming in for a working lunch was seriously high. Mainly reps, delivery drivers, etc. Many suited and booted. They held meetings over a big mac. Thjs is the sort of market you would be after in the working week. The shay wake in shaw is my local and during lunch hrs they attract very similar trade. When you add the market for staff and visitors to the hospital i reckon with the correct marketing the potential for midweek business is definately there.

Throw in a few quiz nights and such like midweek and a 7 day operation could definately work.

Maybe.

I have used McDonalds for a number of pre-meetings ahead of an external meeting - free Wifi, recognisable and generally easy to find location, and tea and coffee. I would suspect that whilst McDonalds and The Shay Wake are greateful for the extra income that this approach brings, it wouldn't be enough to base a business on on its own - they need the evening meals/drinking sessions OR Big Mac Meal / Happy Meal lunchtime rush to generate the vast majority of the income.

Given my experience of the quality of these "in club bars", I am not sure a non-recognisable brand/local effort would be something that would get sufficent people to come across. The alternative is rent the space out to a 'brand' but then I presume the return is far less.

I am sure that the people looking at the project will do the necessary reviews of opportunities, business plans etc and if it looks as though it could work then they will go for it.

This is a small point on a topic that is one of the most positive things to happen to this club in 20 years. I cannot wait to see it open and full of fans, enjoying the game and a pre/post match pint in the club bar.

In a utopian future we see the stand, and the ground, full for its inaugral game as our away game against Gillingham is canceled for our 4th round tie at home against holders Arsenal - it will look splendid on the TV coverage

In a utopian future we see the stand, and the ground, full for its inaugral game as our away game against Gillingham is canceled for our 4th round tie at home against holders Arsenal - it will look splendid on the TV coverage

Is the TV gantry not going in/on it?

Archived