• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our major sponsors should have been consulted well before any talks regarding Ched Evans were even considered so I can't believe SD have scuppered this deal at such a late stage.

Anyway I'm happy if it is off but it would be for all the wrong reasons... Our club has been ridiculed all week by various groups, individuals, etc and if true, certain people have a lot to answer for!

Disappointed that the club have caved in like this. They clearly wanted Evans and so should have stuck to their guns. It suggests that they have received a reaction that they weren't expecting. I have no idea why and it wouldn't have taken a soothsayer to predict all this madness. But the baying mob have their way. Congratulations.

Agree with this - We've imploded beyond belief. Had hoped this season would at least show us as potential play-off earners, which to be fair, we have been.

Right up until we lost Murray.............it's just all gone very pear shapped hasn't it......

i'm not convinced as yet that this is off. We have heard to many reports this week to be confident. If it is that is excellent news though far, far too late.

I do not believe any of these arguments that we have come so far so might as well continue. The media storm so far is nothing compared to what would happen after the signing and hopefully we can now retain those fans who were/are ready to walk away.

As for the 'giving into the mob' argument... Just because a lot of people say something doesn't make it wrong in just the same way that it doesn't make it right.

Even if this is off, there are some very rocky weeks ahead. Simon Corney well and truly nailed his colours to teh mast yesterday. If he now has to back down that is not going to be easy for him. Some of the sponsors have gone and others that were threatening to go will feel that they have been put in a very difficult position and the club will have to work hard with them to retain them long term.

We should never have been in this position but I hope that the club can put it behind them and find a way of moving forward

Edited by Latics and England

Once again I find it amazing that so many people have such little faith in the justice system yet seem to think the appeals system is infallible

Name me one person who has suggested that the justice system is flawed whilst the appeal system is infallible, and quote them on it please.

Do you know whats sad.

When I read that about threats. I thought "thats convienient, I don't believe it. It's just a way to make the club look like victims rather than money chasing bastards"

Barry Owen and Simon Corney - YOU HAVE MADE ME FEEL LIKE THAT ABOUT MY CLUB.

I hope any staff member who has been threatened are ok and able to continue with their jobs.

So those opposed to employing a convicted criminal get their way through a criminal act. Let's hope they get justice and find getting employment on their release very difficult indeed.

I'm not opposed to convicted criminals seeking employment but you have to look at it on a case by case basis. You have here someone who's chosen profession throws him in the limelight and under constant media scrutiny. He hasn't shown remorse for his crimes or told his 'fans' to stop harassing his victim. I don't want my club (my family) to support him, to cheer for him, to sing for him.

In a week I've managed to go from being very proud of my club to be ashamed to telling people I support them!

People always compare it to us signing Lee Hughes, but he did show remorse. He had a victim and he was very sorry for what he did. Ched raped one woman who life continues to be ruined but there are thousands of others out there who have been subject to sexual abuse who will also be impacted by this.

I cant help but think he needs to just give up on being a professional footballer, at least until he clears his name. I'm sure his millionaire father-in-law can offer him a job.

We've had too many twists and turns already. Until there is absolute and complete confirmation that the deal is off I will not believe this good news.

I think the BBC story and the fact that they state Ched is going to make a statement means I think this is finally done. No comeback from this position.

It seems as though sponsor losses were too large to take financially and the reaction in terms of very personal threats went too far - telling someone you know where there daughter works and threatening her is abhorrent.

I'd prepared myself for this and was looking forward to seeing someone who had a good chance of hitting the onion bag. All I've got to look forward to now is the ball bouncing of Jabo when he tries to control it.

I kind of agree. No player we sign would have had the same pure football potential as this lad.

Most of us haven't though... Most of us stuck to reasoned arguments... on both sides...

But this is what happens when in a social-media fuelled world...

Who are the sponsors listening too - the loudest noise. That's seemingly having the impact, not the well reasoned arguments. A number of the sponsors that pulled away did so with tweets in reply to those telling them they were 'backing violence against women' and 'supporting a rapist' - rubbish.

I don't think Ched Evans is employable now. He has been made so toxic, his right to rehabilitation has effectively been chalked off.

And everyone celebrating that fact, is effectively celebrating the undermining of our democratic values - which is worrying.