So you do believe what the Board say then, because I dont believe the reasons quoted today behind pulling out?

Perhaps they had the sense to see the furore from a lot of long standing supporters who were thinking that OAFC had been dragged into the gutter!

Its just a pity that we dont have a fans rep on the board-oooh wait a minute! Mind you I put all the blame on Corney for this!

If when the official reasons are disclosed the fact that a heck of a lot of fans were very strongly against this is not mentioned, I will find that quite disgusting!

None then. Quite a reputation I've got for it! In your head.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taken five days longer than it needed, but at least the right decision has finally been made. Hopefully the club can rebuild the reputation we've lost and get on with it out of the media. If he had signed, then we'd have taken years to get over it.

The board need to come out and defend themselves though. They've been embarrassing to OAFC with delayed statements, saying they consulted fans, saying they were surprised, reportedly taking £2m off the father-in-law etc. Threats to their family is not on, but it's ironic that they're quick to react when it's close to home.

Lost a lot of respect for them.

Statement from the PFA including comments from Evans

PFA deny they drove the move. Claim they were asked to participate once negotiations were already underway.

Evans finally condemns those hounding his victim. And, albeit faintly, apologises for the impact to his victim. If he'd made that statement earlier on in this shambles it might not have left supporters of this club so divided and embarrassed at how the board have handled it.

Edit: link doesn't seem to be working. The statement is also reproduced here.

Edited by Crusoe

Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question. This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so.

Statement from the PFA including comments from Evans

PFA deny they drove the move. Claim they were asked to participate once negotiations were already underway.

Evans finally condemns those hounding his victim. And, albeit faintly, apologises for the impact to his victim. If he'd made that statement earlier on in this shambles it might not have left supporters of this club so divided and embarrassed at how the board have handled it.

Edit: link doesn't seem to be working. The statement is also reproduced here.

Your lnk

Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question. This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so.

Ched has released a statement in which he has apologised for what happened and the effects on the lady in question in Rhyl. He has also distanced himself from the trolls on social media etc. WHY COULDN'T HE HAD DONE THIS SOONER! stupid legal advice.

That last paragraph has been years in the making, but it is right he has said it.

Didn't they say they were supporting us, and then pulled a complete u-turn in response to a barrage of tweets?

They haven't done as many u-turns as out Board though..

We are due a statement saying we may nor may not be perparing a statement.

Edited by singe

The full statement:

The PFA wishes to clarify its position regarding following recent media reports.

Our previous statements are set out below and our support for Ched remains the same.

We have had some discussions with Oldham Athletic regarding the interest they expressed in signing Ched, although we feel it is important to make clear that, contrary to what has been reported, we were not ‘driving’ any deal. As we understand it, the club and player were in discussions and contact was then made with the PFA as matters progressed given the particular circumstances of this situation and we were simply being asked to publicly reiterate our support for the club in signing him. Despite being ready to offer this from the outset, we were asked to delay whilst discussions between the club and player continued, and we were disappointed to see over the course of this week, comments being made which we feel mischaracterise our limited role in this matter.

The PFA’s position remains the same, as we have expressed previously, that any club which decides to sign him would receive our support.

We fully recognise that this is a delicate and emotive case and entirely respect that there are opposing views. However, we always felt it was important that Ched made some further comment regarding his current situation and on that basis, he has asked that we include his comments below:

“I am grateful for the support of the PFA in helping me try to return to football and continue my career.

Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so.”

I think it is a sad day to be a citizen of this country. We have laws and a justice service and no matter what your moral view on signing a player who has been released from prison for rape. Whether remorseful, apologetic or standing by his claim of innocence. It would appear that some pretty horrendous threats have been made against employees and families of both the club and sponsors. .

Our society has a real problem with a social media mob culture and having seen some of the most offensive comments both ways on twitter and Facebook I find it utterly repulsive that this has ended in this manner.

When do we stop? If you can get a bandwagon and mob formed to prevent things you don't like happening the fabric or our whole democracy is at risk.

I would not have rejoiced at him signing but neither would I have been ripping up a season ticket. Our whole society through all forms of media appears to be built on providing polarised views for enjoyment by the said same people. What ever happened to sensible discussion.

I do hope that perpetrators of the threats are treated to a taste of the justice service that they obviously do not believe in.

Been reading the posts in this thread whilst the story has been developing and see both points of view and respect the points made.

I haven't said anything since the start of this developing story and when I did say something it was very little. I'm glad he isn't signing, I really am. However, the way it has been handled by the club is very worrying and we could have done without this. It's almost as if the club didn't expect threats and a petition.

We're still going to get a fair bit of hate due to our intention of signing a convicted rapist, even though we haven't signed him. We need to crack on and get a win on Saturday now. We've had a decent first half of the season. Hopefully, we can have a better second half of the season. TRY to put this behind us, even though it'll be hard. I don't really want to go into what I think of SC, NJ, BO etc as it will only cause an argument most likely. Anyway, enough of this crap now.

Lets hope we get 3 points on Saturday.

Edit: Just seen the no official statement post, bollocks.

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

Mike keegan says no offical confirmation the deal is off

Guardian saying 'deal set to be called off' not been ratified by Corney who is in New York

.Don't get the flags out yet......

it's like the okey cokey.

Edited by astottie