This has been such a long week, I hope we bloody win on Saturday.

We're at our lowest point of the season, more so than the 7-0 drubbing from the mongs. And we're several players lighter. Doncaster have started to turn things around and have found a bit of form.

I know which team will be going on my accy this weekend.

Edited by PlayItLivo

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a sad day to be a citizen of this country. We have laws and a justice service and no matter what your moral view on signing a player who has been released from prison for rape. Whether remorseful, apologetic or standing by his claim of innocence. It would appear that some pretty horrendous threats have been made against employees and families of both the club and sponsors. .

Our society has a real problem with a social media mob culture and having seen some of the most offensive comments both ways on twitter and Facebook I find it utterly repulsive that this has ended in this manner.

When do we stop? If you can get a bandwagon and mob formed to prevent things you don't like happening the fabric or our whole democracy is at risk.

I would not have rejoiced at him signing but neither would I have been ripping up a season ticket. Our whole society through all forms of media appears to be built on providing polarised views for enjoyment by the said same people. What ever happened to sensible discussion.

I do hope that perpetrators of the threats are treated to a taste of the justice service that they obviously do not believe in.

We have a representative democracy in this country, we elect people to represent us as when Parliament was established it wasn't possible to canvas all the population's opinion - this is a massive simplification but is it in a nutshell.

Now we almost have the technology for recording the opinions of the population it is a purer form of democracy so not mob rule or bandwagon jumping just a means of everyday folk shouting into the void and being heard. When you agree with the shouts it is fine and "everybody agrees with me" when you are on the other side of the fence it is the opposite.

The medium of social media which is actually an overcomplicated way of saying "stuff on the internet" isn't implicated in this affair, the views and tweets/shouts are on the whole coming from real people, apart from the many, many bots.

Small point in the scheme of things.

From BBC

Greater Manchester's chief constable Sir Peter Fahy said his force would be launching an investigation into threats to the club's staff and their families.

"It is totally unacceptable," Sir Peter told BBC Radio 5 live.

"We will be contacting Oldham Athletic to make sure that it's investigated."

So is the implication there that the club haven't reported it to the police?

Ched Evans: Police say they called Oldham Athletic & sponsors and were told no threats been made; a couple of "low level abuse on Twitter."

All in all a positive outcome in relation to the damaging fragmentation taking place within our core support.

However, the manner of the on-line abuse that brought the move to its knees make the perpetrators no better than Evans.

However, the manner of the on-line abuse that brought the move to its knees make the perpetrators no better than Evans.

Well, except that however despicable and vile the online abuse (which should of course be investigated and result in prosecutions where appropriate), I doubt the abusers were all convicted rapists.