It's surprising how many non-league clubs do all of this, and more.

While I would prefer to be a competitive Championship club, I don't think any of what I posted is at odds with that and, as you suggest, there's lots more that can be done. Some of the non-league "social club" approach could be a winner.

To state the obvious, I think the club needs to rebuild it's reputation. I think the best way to do this is to focus on family and youth while not forgetting the older fans of longer standing.

It might take years to do. But with a fairly robust strategy perception can be changed, fans can be retained and gained and, ultimately, income will rise with the obvious playing benefits.

I'll stand for fan on the board in 2022 if you like.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could have started by issuing the statement that he issued this afternoon about six weeks earlier. He might have found a club to play for and avoided this :censored:storm.

I wonder if he had given up hope of playing again until the Latics came along?

I assume that you are using the Royal We in your We'll

I'm using the same we that everyone who was against the move were using when they were talkin about the fans not wanting it and the board not caring what the fans wanted. Don't no if you noticed but there was a fair few people who wanted it to go ahead

Or did you miss that?

While I would prefer to be a competitive Championship club, I don't think any of what I posted is at odds with that and, as you suggest, there's lots more that can be done. Some of the non-league "social club" approach could be a winner.

To state the obvious, I think the club needs to rebuild it's reputation. I think the best way to do this is to focus on family and youth while not forgetting the older fans of longer standing.

It might take years to do. But with a fairly robust strategy perception can be changed, fans can be retained and gained and, ultimately, income will rise with the obvious playing benefits.

I'll stand for fan on the board in 2015 if you like.

It is not too time consuming, is it seconded?

I'll stand for fan on the board in 2022 if you like.

If you need any help, please give me a shout.

He could have started by issuing the statement that he issued this afternoon about six weeks earlier. He might have found a club to play for and avoided this :censored:storm.

Critised for not making a statement, now critised for making a statement. Lose Lose situation I'm afraid, whats the poor guy meant to do??

I'm using the same we that everyone who was against the move were using when they were talkin about the fans not wanting it and the board not caring what the fans wanted. Don't no if you noticed but there was a fair few people who wanted it to go ahead

Or did you miss that?

I did no that yes

Sorry if this has already been answered on here but trawling through all these pages sometimes needs an iron will.

On the BBC website it stated that the Oldham supporters trust issued the "following statement".

Do we know who from the trust issued the statement if this is to be believed.?

OAFC have been pleading for years about getting more fans in

ombc don't an haven't cared about us for decades

sc then gets us self funding with the rental space in the new stand

tried to get a better calibre of player in c Evans for us an the team

an the final say was with the fans that don't come anymore an the council?

that's the shambles in all this not the club

His conviction (which he believes to be unjust) is undergoing a review J. His legal team have told him to say NOWT. I'm almost certain that statement or one very similar would have been issued just ahead of us confirming his signing. That way he would have shown regret or remorse for the consequences of his actions that night without having to apologise for the crime which he still believes he didn't commit.

The club knew this and were willing to take the flak of announcing his signing after he made the statement. Only somebody decided to let the cat out of the bag on Sunday creating a media :censored:storm before the club had managed to get to get all it's ducks in a row.

The club knew if he made that statement before they'd got his signature it would scupper any hope of him signing for us as a bigger club would have jumped in and taken the chance.

He may as well have still made that statement today, as the chance of any club going anywhere near him now without it after the :censored:storm we've seen this week was absolutely non existent.

I totally get how he feels he's innocent, but the threats, the website, the toxic abuse that has engulfed his victim (she wall always be his victim until his imprending review teklls us otherwise) could have been diffused dramatically by him without affecting the appeal he is currently persuing.

I strongly believe that much of the fallout has been fuelled by his perceived arrogance and clear lack of remorse. While he may be not be able to publicly show that, he could have gone a long way to getting himself back in a football shirt by shutting down the website set-up in his own name and concetrating on an appeal privately rather than courting the debate.

The big irony of this is his legal advisors could be the ones that ensure he never plays professional football again. Had he accepted the verdict and carried out his sentence he WOULD be another Lee Hughes / Luke McCormack.

Is people not the plural for person??

You're deliberately missing the point. The 'poor guy' as you called him is a convicted rapist. While there's a slender chance that might be overturned in seven months, as it stands he's a rapist and if he didn't want the problems that brings he shouldn't have raped someone.

Edit: my mistake. Dave didn't say 'poor guy' at all. I will read more carefully in future.

Edited by Crusoe

That's the point, he truely believes he hasn't. He did issue a carefully worded statement a few weeks back, presumnably drafted by his team of legal experts. He can not admit guilty, besides ruining his case for appeal, why should he!

As I've posted before, and as he finally (and too late) did today, he could have issued a statement that claimed innocence while disowning the abuse that has followed the misleading claims on a website his friends and family are behind, and apologised for the impact to the victim. All of that could have been done without prejudicing his own CCRC process.

Edited by Crusoe

You're deliberately missing the point. The 'poor guy' as you called him is a convicted rapist. While there's a slender chance that might be overturned in seven months, as it stands he's a rapist and if he didn't want the problems that brings he shouldn't have raped someone.

I don't recall ever referring to him as 'poor guy' but feel free to prove me wrong. You should realise the world isn't black and white

The big irony of this is his legal advisors could be the ones that ensure he never plays professional football again. Had he accepted the verdict and carried out his sentence he WOULD be another Lee Hughes / Luke McCormack.

And accept being a convicted rapist for the rest of his life?!

If it were me there no way on gods green earth I'd accept responsibility for a crime I believed that I didn't commit.