Is Now The Time?

Is now the time to start thinking about fan ownership?

Whether you agree with the decision to sign Ched or not, and whether you support the current regime or not, one thing that seems undeniable is that Oldham Athletic is not really, in any shape or form, *our* club any more. Whether it ever has been or was is up for debate, but I'm sure most will agree that the fans of the club are, for better or worse, customers, without a real voice or even much influence in how the club conducts its business.

Some will say that's how it should be - that the club is a business and that it's exactly how it should operate - you don't see Tesco asking customers whether to sell crisps in flavour A or flavour B, they do their research and get on with it, and if a customer doesn't like the decision, well, he can choose an alternative place to shop.

I feel differently.

The club is, or should be, a key part of the community. It should bring the people of Oldham together. It should help provide roots - kids who go to games but move away as adults will look back on the place with fondness due to happy sporting memories, the club should provide a positive reflection of the town to the wider populace, it should provide employment opportunities, it should make available recreational and entertainment facilities for the community. And much much more.

Whilst the club is run purely as a business, it's never going to achieve all the above whilst at the same time fulfilling the goals of the owner (whatever they may be). We've seen over the last 20 years that without an owner with pretty deep pockets, we're going to bobble around the lower leagues, a few ups and downs, but with the main theme being a general feeling of decline, a slow detachment between the club and the community, a drifting off to irrelevance. People look to the past and see how the club, from the low points of the 60s and 70s, got lucky with managerial appointments and experienced the glory years. However it's hard to see that happening again with the new FFP rules, and the massive gulf between the haves and the have-nots. So what are we left with? A dream that we'll get lucky again with a manager (and LJ could be that guy), and a hope that should he get us promotion, we can somehow stay in the Championship for a bit? Then what? Bought by a guy with more money than Corney and continue the progression? Seems unlikely. More realistic is a withdrawal due to lack of funds/interest, and a slide towards oblivion.

What's the alternative? Well, isn't a starting point being in control of your own destiny? Living within our means (which FFP means we have to do anyway), but a cultural shift in the club, back towards the family/community club it felt like we could be around the time of the glory years. We have attendances which mean we should be able to be self-sufficient, and I'm sure a transformation of the club would be well publicised given recent events - a message of "we're taking our club back, and running it on our terms" would go down very well - as such gaining funding through new sponsorship deals and getting disenfranchised fans back. An increased focus on bringing through home-grown prospects would fit our image, and be a differentiator when compared to the two Manchester outfits. No more boom and bust, but a steady development of the club (and community) as a whole, hopefully leading to increased revenues through the turnstiles and a better quality side on the pitch.

In no way would this be easy to achieve. We'd need to acquire the club, ideally debt-free, and that wouldn't be easy (although recent events again may help in that regard). We'd also need to look long and hard at other clubs who've gone down this route - particularly stockport. And it'd need passion and determination in spades to have any chance of succeeding. But in my mind, doing something, anything, has to be preferable to where we currently find ourselves?

Am I just dreaming???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you agree with the decision to sign Ched or not, and whether you support the current regime or not, one thing that seems undeniable is that Oldham Athletic is not really, in any shape or form, *our* club any more. Whether it ever has been or was is up for debate, but I'm sure most will agree that the fans of the club are, for better or worse, customers, without a real voice or even much influence in how the club conducts its business.

Some will say that's how it should be - that the club is a business and that it's exactly how it should operate - you don't see Tesco asking customers whether to sell crisps in flavour A or flavour B, they do their research and get on with it, and if a customer doesn't like the decision, well, he can choose an alternative place to shop.

I feel differently.

The club is, or should be, a key part of the community. It should bring the people of Oldham together. It should help provide roots - kids who go to games but move away as adults will look back on the place with fondness due to happy sporting memories, the club should provide a positive reflection of the town to the wider populace, it should provide employment opportunities, it should make available recreational and entertainment facilities for the community. And much much more.

Whilst the club is run purely as a business, it's never going to achieve all the above whilst at the same time fulfilling the goals of the owner (whatever they may be). We've seen over the last 20 years that without an owner with pretty deep pockets, we're going to bobble around the lower leagues, a few ups and downs, but with the main theme being a general feeling of decline, a slow

Am I just dreaming???

Yes... Yes you are

I feel differently.

Whilst the club is run purely as a business, it's never going to achieve all the above whilst at the same time fulfilling the goals of the owner (whatever they may be). We've seen over the last 20 years that without an owner with pretty deep pockets, we're going to bobble around the lower leagues, a few ups and downs, but with the main theme being a general feeling of decline, a slow detachment between the club and the community, a drifting off to irrelevance. People look to the past and see how the club, from the low points of the 60s and 70s, got lucky with managerial appointments and experienced the glory years. However it's hard to see that happening again with the new FFP rules, and the massive gulf between the haves and the have-nots. So what are we left with? A dream that we'll get lucky again with a manager (and LJ could be that guy), and a hope that should he get us promotion, we can somehow stay in the Championship for a bit? Then what? Bought by a guy with more money than Corney and continue the progression? Seems unlikely. More realistic is a withdrawal due to lack of funds/interest, and a slide towards oblivion.

What's the alternative? Well, isn't a starting point being in control of your own destiny? Living within our means (which FFP means we have to do anyway), but a cultural shift in the club, back towards the family/community club it felt like we could be around the time of the glory years. We have attendances which mean we should be able to be self-sufficient, and I'm sure a transformation of the club would be well publicised given recent events - a message of "we're taking our club back, and running it on our terms" would go down very well - as such gaining funding through new sponsorship deals and getting disenfranchised fans back. An increased focus on bringing through home-grown prospects would fit our image, and be a differentiator when compared to the two Manchester outfits. No more boom and bust, but a steady development of the club (and community) as a whole, hopefully leading to increased revenues through the turnstiles and a better quality side on the pitch.

In no way would this be easy to achieve. We'd need to acquire the club, ideally debt-free, and that wouldn't be easy (although recent events again may help in that regard). We'd also need to look long and hard at other clubs who've gone down this route - particularly stockport. And it'd need passion and determination in spades to have any chance of succeeding. But in my mind, doing something, anything, has to be preferable to where we currently find ourselves?

Am I just dreaming???

Yes... Yes you are

...and how refreshing that you are dreaming it. I share your vision. I would do a lot to make it happen. I'm in.

All for this dream.... Its the sort of thing which would have me running back to the club.

But be careful what you wish for as this could end up being Barry's coronation...

If the "fans" took over the club then it wouldn't be any better from the average fans perspective unless it was run radically different than the current approach taken by the trust.

What bothers me about the whole Ched saga is how out of touch the directors of the club are, its fine offering offenders second chances I'm all for that but should it be at the expense of loyal fans who have supported this current regime through thin and thinner, the board as it stands have sold its soul on this one, they knew by going down this route they would lose 10-20% of its loyal fan base overnight and for me that shows a total disregard and respect for their own fans views, we have effectively been trampled on for the short term gain of a few quid, I will go to the games but its never really going to be the same again it may sound melodramatic but it will be strange not seeing some familiar faces, I hope the board are feeling really proud of themselves tonight the position they have put their own employees and fans in is nothing short of disgraceful.

Nice idea in principle but realistically it's never going to happen. .

I wonder if the sheikh down the road is bothered that we are getting more publicity than his mob.and that's why there paying 30 mill for bony

Start with democratically replacing Barry.

The Board have been very cynical getting cover for their losses. The have been calculating in the loss in revenue v possible gain. But take Barry out of his position and he will be a nonentity, and Corney will not have his lackey. It will cost nothing, is not covered by their insurance, but will hit home hard and hopefully they have not thought of it.

What are the Trust rules we have to overcome?

The club to look at would be Wimbledon, but, the problem is they started with a blank sheet whereas Latics are saddled with a huge debt to Blitz and/or Gazal who own the ground after their property deal went pear shaped.

They are not going to go without getting a good chunk of their money back so we unless you think we can raise 3-5 million between us then there is a problem

Edited by Ritchierich

What are the Trust rules we have to overcome?

Well first you need a new leader to push....

Then you need to become directors of the trust....

Then you need to get the new leader the most vote from the trust directors...

Edited by oafc0000

The club to look at would be Wimbledon, but, the problem is they started with a blank sheet whereas Latics are saddled with a huge debt to Blitz and/or Gazal who own the ground after their property deal went pear shaped.

They are not going to go without getting a good chunk of their money back so we unless you think we can raise 3-5 million between us then there is a problem

Wimbledon had no debt because it was a new club... Nothing stopping us creating one but I doubt the fans would move...

All of this needs to accept that Corney owns the club and does get the bills paid each month. I would much much prefer change to come without creating a whole new entity. I like being a league club with ambitions to go further. I could go with putting my Latics saving into my own new savings account, then I would be able to choose whether to use it if needed.

Their are other football clubs who this week are not owned by the fans need a striker and didnt sign a rapist and therefore lose major sponsors and alienate their fans.

Ultimately if we can force the trust to hold an emergency general meeting with the intention of removing Barry then this is the avenue I would rather go down to begin with.

So this looks like the General consensus is to remove Barry from his position at least as fans rep.

Whether we can get him off the board is another matter.

I stopped paying into the trust/playershare whatever it's called because of the silence from the representative.

How do we go about making this change? There was noises about this a while ago on here and nothing came of it.

Whatever your view on Evans, and whether you agree or not, let us take this forward.

As a start it's probably best to open a dialogue with all parties concerned and include Supporters Direct.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/

• The Board of Trustees will be democratically elected by its members.
  • Decisions taken by the membership will be decided on a one member, one vote basis.
  • The Trust will develop strong links with the club and local community to strive to be accessible to all, discriminating against none.
  • The Trust will endeavour to make admission prices as affordable as possible, to as wide a constituency as possible.
  • The Trust will encourage young, local participation - playing and supporting - whenever possible.
  • The Trust will remain a non-profit organisation.

Starting a new club will need a different approach, I'd argue that both options will require a volunteers in law and finance as a bedrock to either objective.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/industrial-and-provident-societies-growth-through-co-operation

I'm off to work now, but I will post back information later.

So this looks like the General consensus is to remove Barry from his position at least as fans rep.

Whether we can get him off the board is another matter.

I stopped paying into the trust/playershare whatever it's called because of the silence from the representative.

How do we go about making this change? There was noises about this a while ago on here and nothing came of it.

Whatever your view on Evans, and whether you agree or not, let us take this forward.

If you have a Season Ticket then you are apparently automatically a member now... If you like it or not.... So no need to pay into the trust as such.

Edited by oafc0000

Rather than a fan based, there must be several Oldham associated millionaires, even billionaires who could be approached to form a consortium to buy the club.

Maybe the new marketing manager could actively seek them out rather than as we have seen before place an advert in the broadsheet newspapers.

No doubt someone on OWTB will soon find an Oldham rich list.

Edited by BP1960