Corney To Sell?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion that's why he resigned his Chairmanship of the Trust, to pave the way for this.

I expect an article in the Chron soon telling us all how he's stepping in to save the club now Mr. Corney is stepping aside.

It wouldn't surprise me....

But Corney says he wants a "buyer"... Which won't be Barry... but we could well see him running the show in the mean time....

Edited by oafc0000

Simon Corney has operated this club on a break even basis and finally this season got us into a position where a playoff place was possible. The fragility of our position was demonstrated when Kelly got injured and we were knocked out of the cups. Our position now doesn't look so hopeful although if LJ can do some magic deals we are still in a position to make sixth place.

The club, the board and the moderate majority have however taken stick over the attempt to sign Ched. I am all in favour of a robust debate but the abuse, threats and ill informed comments from the immoderate minority stopped the signing. Whatever those people think the motivation in signing Ched was to help my football club.

My hope is that the understandable desire to sell will mean that LJ will be allowed to attempt to bring some players in and we won't be selling everyone that has a price on their heads.

No one should be in any doubt how precarious our position is. It is possible that the new stand is the only thing that will save our club. Without that stand the most sensible thing, in order to get their money back, would have been to demolish the football ground and sell the land to the NHS or for housing. OAFC could be put into administration tomorrow so best not to continue with anymore abuse, threats and ill informed comments about a man, Simon Corney, who has kept this club alive.

I agree. I certainly didn't want to sign Evans, but the club's officials were motivated by two factors - increasing our assets and improving the quality of the team. This 'fantastic' community of Oldham MB simply doesn't support the club in anything like the numbers needed to grow and challenge for promotion. We have many fans from outside the area. If we relied on the community we really would be screwed. They are the real problem, not SC. He has stuck by the club and kept it afloat through careful management.

Outside the existence of a massive fan base / rich benefactor the historic model for running a football club is outdated and changing. We will be having the same discussions if SC were to be simply replaced with A N Other. Community ownership and the German 50%+1 model need serious consideration.

There are several key benefits to community ownership. Below are some of the areas in which such an ownership structure can greatly benefit a football club and its supporters.

Strategic Partnerships

• It allows clubs to develop deeper and more long-term strategic partnerships.

• A greater sense of shared agendas and partnerships between local authorities, clubs and business.

• Ownership structure and increased transparency helps build trust between organisations.

• Easier for supporter community owned clubs to align agendas with public or private strategic partners, meeting strategic objectives.

Finance

• Community ownership creates a greater sense of financial responsibility; an increased recognition for clubs to live within their means.

• It allows clubs to raise finance in other, more innovative ways; such as through ‘Community Shares’.

• Placing clubs in the hands of supporters allows more transparency in terms of clubs’ finances and makes relevant information more accessible to fans.

Sponsorship

• Sponsors are attracted to community owned clubs due to their high attendance figures when compared with competitors at the same level; e.g. FC United of Manchester and AFC Wimbledon.

• It is also the reputational value of sponsors being associated with a club owned by its’ supporters that is added value for sponsors.

• Reputational value can help to forge longer-term relationships between club and sponsor.

Transparency, Openness and Trust

• All supporters trust owned clubs have to publish annual accounts which have to be approved by members at their AGM.

• Provides a level of scrutiny and recourse for supporters as well as a level of public transparency that is often lacking at other clubs.

• Level of openness and transparency a key factor in developing and maintaining strategic partnerships, notably with public authorities and with fans.

While community ownership is all about democracy, governance and further fan involvement in the ownership of cultural and social institutions, individual investors can still get something out of involvement in fan owned clubs. As the cases of Pars United and Foundation of Hearts show, supporters are happy to work with the business acumen of the investors, especially if they help by providing funding to buy the club or stadia.

The only people sniffing to buy the club after last weeks debacle, will be those wanting a cut price bargain.

yes, people like Koucash...i agree, he is a knob, but he has the money and has shown the interest.

It's total speculation based on nothing. Somethimes, we need ot be careful about what we wish for.

Does he say that?

Not exactly, I suppose.

"Corney hopes the long-term financial benefits of the new North Stand, due for completion in time for next season, will help to attract a buyer."

“I would like to find a buyer. Hopefully it will be a lot more sellable with a new stand there. "

Milan Mandaric is selling up at Wednesday, maybe he'll be looking at another club to purchase soon.

I wondered about him too. But Mandaric seems to like to buy clubs which have Premier League potential which he can stablize financially, then sell on for a profit. Latics don't really seem to fit that model.

Outside the existence of a massive fan base / rich benefactor the historic model for running a football club is outdated and changing. We will be having the same discussions if SC were to be simply replaced with A N Other. Community ownership and the German 50%+1 model need serious consideration.

There are several key benets to community ownership. Below are some of the areas in which such an ownership structure can greatly benet a football club and its supporters.

Strategic Partnerships

It allows clubs to develop deeper and more long-term strategic partnerships.

A greater sense of shared agendas and partnerships between local authorities, clubs and business.

Ownership structure and increased transparency helps build trust between organisations.

Easier for supporter community owned clubs to align agendas with public or private strategic partners, meeting strategic objectives.

Finance

Community ownership creates a greater sense of nancial responsibility; an increased recognition for clubs to live within their means.

It allows clubs to raise nance in other, more innovative ways; such as through Community Shares.

Placing clubs in the hands of supporters allows more transparency in terms of clubs nances and makes relevant information more accessible to fans.

Sponsorship

Sponsors are attracted to community owned clubs due to their high attendance gures when compared with competitors at the same level; e.g. FC United of Manchester and AFC Wimbledon.

It is also the reputational value of sponsors being associated with a club owned by its supporters that is added value for sponsors.

Reputational value can help to forge longer-term relationships between club and sponsor.

Transparency, Openness and Trust

All supporters trust owned clubs have to publish annual accounts which have to be approved by members at their AGM.

Provides a level of scrutiny and recourse for supporters as well as a level of public transparency that is often lacking at other clubs.

Level of openness and transparency a key factor in developing and maintaining strategic partnerships, notably with public authorities and with fans.

While community ownership is all about democracy, governance and further fan involvement in the ownership of cultural and social institutions, individual investors can still get something out of involvement in fan owned clubs. As the cases of Pars United and Foundation of Hearts show, supporters are happy to work with the business acumen of the investors, especially if they help by providing funding to buy the club or stadia.

You seem well versed joe..are you going to start the ball rolling?

So the club has been up for sale for ages.

Corney says he will wait for the right buyer.

He's now fed up and quitting.

Does that mean he'll sell it to any old buyer?

Where does the stand fit into all this? I assumed Corney would stay to see his only genuine success completed. By 'success' I mean improvement, not just keeping the club afloat and sustainable, which I appreciate he has succeeded in.

On another note, does our spending power increased this year? I feel like our budget has enabled us to buy better players than in previous years. There doesn't appear to be many low earner this season.

Edited by NewBlue

Joking aside, how did other clubs that have become fan owned go about getting the money together?

In the cases such as AFC Wimbledon and FC United they have the advantage of starting at the bottom of the pyramid so they have a much smaller cost base compared to OAFC in league 1. They just setup a team of amateurs and share a ground with a club and just pay rent, with the £250K that we raised during the summer of hell we would have been able to do that and then some.

Corney could sell it to us for £1 we then take on the £5.5M debt which again might not and probably wont get called in. The issue comes when we have to find a 6 figure sum to cover the salaries and the overheads between now and the end of the season. Then if we get that we have to find another 6 figures to get us through next season and so on on top of the money we are all shelling out for season tickets, away days, replica shirts (ok maybe not this season :) ) Plus everything else. if everyone has to be willing to pay double what they are putting into OAFC right now for that to happen and to do it and do it over several years, either that or we start again in the NW counties league and ground share with a local non league club.

Edited by GlossopLatic

In the cases such as AFC Wimbledon and FC United they have the advantage of starting at the bottom of the pyramid so they have a much smaller cost base compared to OAFC in league 1. They just setup a team of amateurs and share a ground with a club and just pay rent, with the £250K that we raised during the summer of hell we would have been able to do that and then some.

Corney could sell it to us for £1 we then take on the £5.5M debt which again might not and probably wont get called in. The issue comes when we have to find a 6 figure sum to cover the salaries and the overheads between now and the end of the season. Then if we get that we have to find another 6 figures to get us through next season and so on on top of the money we are all shelling out for season tickets, away days, replica shirts (ok maybe not this season :) ) Plus everything else. if everyone has to be willing to pay double what they are putting into OAFC right now for that to happen and to do it and do it over several years, either that or we start again in the NW counties league and ground share with a local non league club.

Can I suggest a radical ground breaking new idea...

We start paying players what they are worth.... We pay what we can afford....

"I want £30k a week... Sorry son only 10 people want to watch you not 40,000.... next...."

We can talk all day long but the root cause of footballs fiancies is we pay players more than they are worth.

If you are pulling in crowds of 4,500, sponsorship of a certain amount, money raised from external business in the new stand.... you simply have to live to that reality. Any other model is flawed... And I would be surprised if that isn't already happening anyway.

Edited by oafc0000

Simon Corney in the Daily Express 15th February 2013;

"If anyone wants to buy Oldham, and sign up for everything that goes with it, they can. But they would have to be the right person with good intentions".

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/377777/Oldham-chairman-Simon-Corney-It-makes-you-mad-I-love-it

Simon Corney today in the Chron:

“I would like to find a buyer. Hopefully it will be a lot more sellable with a new stand there. And I would want it to go to the right person.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/89814/latics-owner-ive-had-enough

Any value will be linked to the new stand, he would have to have been dropped on his head as a baby not to finish that off. I could tire of saying it but the debt makes no practical difference to the situation. If getting out with the best financial outcome is what Corner/Blitz are after it could be 60 or £60 million. Hopefully they would like to leave us in a reasonable state. I'm not sure Corney wants to leave at all, or not any more than we feel like never going again about 5 times a season

Not exactly, I suppose.

"Corney hopes the long-term financial benefits of the new North Stand, due for completion in time for next season, will help to attract a buyer."

I would like to find a buyer. Hopefully it will be a lot more sellable with a new stand there. "

Think he may of been referring to the hat stand in his office that he picked up in the sales at John Lewis.

Simon Corney today in the Chron:

“I would like to find a buyer. Hopefully it will be a lot more sellable with a new stand there. And I would want it to go to the right person.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/89814/latics-owner-ive-had-enough

Oh I missed that last bit. So there isn't really any change is there? He as always been up for selling the club....