New Manager thread.

So far this season we have had the Ched affair, Barrys Interveiws, Corney quitting, Montano suing the club, up and down form, no cup runs....... and now the manager has left!

The club needs a boost, we have a new stand on the horizon and we have a half decent team when they can be bothered.

Scholes is the man until the end of the season, pull in the crowds, get a bit of buzz going and give the play offs a push...

If it doesn't work out then we go again in the summer

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to look at this strategically we need to have someone come in who isn't going to alter much it’s not like we are in the doldrums in this case we are overall punching above our weight for our budget in this division. Someone who won't change anything right away but over time could tweak it as they wish overtime, If we want someone who wants to change everything to their own way then not only do we have to write off this season but next season as well as they will need time to bring in their own players/staff/ideology to the club.

For this reason I would rule out a more seasoned coach who will insist on doing everything his own way from the beginning.

I can't see either Scholes or Dowie going into/going back into management they have a job that will pay them 5 x the salary and is 5 times less stressful.

I don't want a crowd favourite like the 1991 forever crowd will want I want someone similar to Lee Johnson and if in 2 years he has taken the club on further and wants to move on well so be it, we lose him and we find someone else in a similar mould,.

We've always done best with first time managers I say we go that way again.

Mowbray 2nd Favourite... If there was even a chance to take him the club would be silly not to. Billy Davies as well would be class but seems out of range

Dowie wont happen

Scholes in exciting but wont happen, cant see him being silly enough to give up TV for management

O'Driscall or Gary Johnson would fit the bill for me as realistic candidates

Not Mowbray, are you mad?

I'm not saying he is not crap, but I just don't think he would be right.

Never managed at this level.

Always had mnoney as a manager.

I highly doubt he would drop this low.

He did well in 2007/8, but that is getting quite far back now.

He had a worse record at Celtic than John Barnes, Second worse only to Lou Macari

I'm not saying he is not crap, but I just don't think he would be right.

Never managed at this level.

Always had mnoney as a manager.

I highly doubt he would drop this low.

He did well in 2007/8, but that is getting quite far back now.

He had a worse record at Celtic than John Barnes, Second worse only to Lou Macari

A year he won LMA manager of the year 07/08 no less

Cant see it happening either way but would be very good manager at this level imo

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/oldham-athletic

id be more inclined to bet on, non of the above. Corney wont pick any of them

He will most probably install Lockwood and Holden (God forbid) until the end of the season, then we get another close-season of endless managerial speculation followed by a cheap option manager and a mad-rush to get some players in for the new season.

Not a step up for Jimmy Floyd. He's about get Burton into this league, plus he inherited a promotion-contending squad anyway.

If you're offering it to Scholes.

Offer until the end if the season, can part ways for nothing - or, if he agrees, a longer contract kicks in.

He can still do ITV work (won't be as much £ as Dowie with Sky will it?) in that time where possible. Keeps his TV job as an option if he left in summer. Also, good free advertising for us in the process.

Choice of experienced assistant? Sean O'Driscoll (he assisted at Forest?), and then that offers a ready-made stand-in if Scholes left. Or, go young and fresh and have him working with Paul Murray, if he happens to know him well. He trained with us while Murray was still here. Or just TP as his assistant until end of season - leaving options and flexibility in the summer.

Maybe those training ground visits - didn't realise he led sessions - were with one eye on the future.

This is the only time you could appoint Scholes.

I know Corney showed huge balls with Johnson, and the table is tight, but there's a vacancy when we're relatively safe and can take a slight risk without it being at the cost of potential relegation.

Offer until the end if the season, can part ways for nothing - or, if he agrees, a longer contract kicks in.

He can still do ITV work (won't be as much £ as Dowie with Sky will it?) in that time where possible. Keeps his TV job as an option if he left in summer. Also, good free advertising for us in the process.

I'd imagine he's on a hell of a lot more than Dowie is.

Not a step up for Jimmy Floyd. He's about get Burton into this league, plus he inherited a promotion-contending squad anyway.

Choice of experienced assistant? Sean O'Driscoll (he assisted at Forest?), and then that offers a ready-made stand-in if Scholes left. Or, go young and fresh and have him working with Paul Murray, if he happens to know him well. He trained with us while Murray was still here. Or just TP as his assistant until end of season - leaving options and flexibility in the summer.

Maybe those training ground visits - didn't realise he led sessions - were with one eye on the future.

This is the only time you could appoint Scholes.

I know Corney showed huge balls with Johnson, and the table is tight, but there's a vacancy when we're relatively safe and can take a slight risk without it being at the cost of potential relegation.

Of course its a step up from Burton. Firstly they are not promoted yet and secondly we are a bigger club. Similar to the reason Lee has gone to Barnsley.

If we have to change manager then get someone in full time now. Recruit properly ffs!

None of this until the end of season rubbish, we are still in with a shout this season.

Someone can come in give them a kick up the arse and and push us to the finish line and start next seaon in the championship with a new stand and bigger budget. The future is bright

and awake.......................................Holden and Lockwood it is! arrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Are we a bigger club than Burton? Ignoring history. Sad to say it before I don't think the gap is very big anymore. They have a modern ground with good facilities, room for development too. They are appealing to more and more 'modern' fans and families rather than relying on a slow, decreasing core like us.... We do have a remarkably impressive away core of course though.

I suppose Dowie isn't a frontline pundit like Scholes is on ITV. Heard Dowie was still on 100k plus though? He hasn't managed for a long time now though...

Edited by IceStationLatic