Latics 1-1 Bristol.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent result that as said by many was deserved by the intensity of the performance.

I kind of get where SC is coming from regarding the quality of much of the football on show, but it was compelling viewing nonetheless!

It is clearly becoming increasingly difficult to pass the ball through the middle third as the pitch deteriorates - and the quality of both teams passing reflected that. Set against that though, there was total commitment from 2 sides who wanted the points.

They are big, strong and efficient, and they rely on Freeman to provide the craft to unlock the game. Their wide players constantly look to stretch the game, and I thought that our wide players deserved a lot of credit for forcing them deeper in possession.

Some have commented on Poleon, but I thought if nothing else, the pace and threat that both he and Forte possessed kept both fullbacks occupied - even if his end product was lacking.

The players are clearly playing for DH and TP, and that is massively to the managements credit. The only frustration is that if we had shown that level of commitment against the weaker sides in the division we could be as many as 10 points better off!!

Well done to all tonight though - good game and a cracking point!!

Don't think he would have walked off with a dislocated knee cap, however, he could easily have done some ligaments in his knee, which will mean he will be out for the rest of the season.I wouldn't be surprised if he is out for the rest of the season, he is under contract though and I think we've an option to extend it, which I think we would be mad not to, even with his injury problems.

I walked off a football pitch with a dislocated knee and a snapped patella tendon plus multiple other damage so not unheard of.

He took a whack to the ankle - think it was on the OS, but could have been from somewhere else

If you mean Forte it was his right knee, slide in just as the keeper came out and a defender slide in too, think he bent it back. Physio was working on his knee on the pitch as was oggling with intent.

Bit of a farce with the old stretcher but glad he got to his feet and hobbled off.

We know he's got knee issues...hope it's not ended his season.

It days like this when latics amaze me. I have no hope, I believe we are going to get thrashed and we don't.

We knuckle down and we fight, we are dead on our legs and hang in there.

Best quote of the day was from a livepool fan friend who wanted to come back to BP to watch a game...she said she loved the atmosphere today as Anfield is like a library these days....ye gods.

Good stuff and it wasn't freezing too

You forecast the correct score Tracey. Please PM me tomorrow's Lottery numbers. :)

He's :censored:.

I really want the lad to succeed, but he's a one trick pony with pace.

If he can master the pass after trick / pace then he might make it.

But I don't think he will.

I'm caught in two minds with him.

Whether or not it is good advice for a manager to give to an individual, it'd really help us if Poleon was told not to try passing. Just keep your head down and run with it. Don't look up. He's one of the worst passers of a football I've seen at Latics.

I wouldn't underestimate the ability he's has dribbling, running head on at defences. You are right to say he's a one-trick pony in that respect but it's a valuable ability.

Personally I don't see how someone with so little composure could be a striker, but a winger...Despite all that I have a feeling he'll come good.

A good game, not the prettiest and Bristol weren't as good as when I've seen them previously but our battling made it hard for them to play well. Holden got things right tactically and has shown competence in the role by keeping us up, however I would rather that we start next season with someone else in charge who has a bit more experience with Deano going back to his role as first team coach. I believe he'll make a good manager in the future though.

While the players really gave their all, unfortunately there are too many who do a job but just don't see the opportunities to pass/shoot/make a run until it's too late. Sadler and Poleon are the main culprits although pretty much everyone had moments like that. Probably the reason that they are playing in league one, but it won't take us forward in the future.

Coleman - had a nervy patch in the 2nd half and his distribution suffered because of it, but overall he did very well and deserves to keep his place.

Brown - a steady Eddie, although the goal came down his side.

Lockwood and Gerrard - the best argument in a while for playing old-fashioned centre half's. Filled me (and the rest of the team) with confidence.

Sadler - exactly what we needed in the last month, can't fault the job he does defensively but don't think he has the vision going forwards to make an impact. A good stop-gap but Mills will get his place back.

Woodland - did OK and not out of place in this league. Had a nervy spell before being subbed in the 2nd half.

Winchester - other than the goal I thought he was steady for the whole 90 without being great. It's good to see one of our players willing to take speculative efforts from long range and it paid off today.

Jones - good for the whole 90. Such a great engine on him. Winchester is probably more technically gifted but Jones is the complete package. Hope we keep hold of him.

Poleon - not going to question his effort because he worked very hard. However his poor vision, passing ability and lack of end product is not good enough for a player we paid a decent fee for. If he was a free transfer journeyman he'd be OK but he goes down as a poor signing in my book I'm afraid.

Turner - did well in what was a thankless task. As mentioned previously his 1st touch was impressive and if he stays injury free he could be a big asset.

Forte - good in the 1st half, drew a booking from Korey Smith which nullified him for the rest of the game. Faded a bit in the 2nd half though. Unlucky not to win it late on and picking up an injury in the process.

Wilkinson had a few nice touches, other than that the sub's didn't have time to make an impact. Good to see Mills and Wilson back though.

Pretty clear that we'll end up mid table +/- a place or two. If in doubt, youngsters and our own players should start the remaining games. Credit to Holden, he has done this for the most part so far.

Finally, I got there early enough to see the 5 mascots playing with a football...until Tony Philliskirk stole it off them and took it past them all, leaving a 4 year old on the floor. He's still got it!

If you mean Forte it was his right knee, slide in just as the keeper came out and a defender slide in too, think he bent it back. Physio was working on his knee on the pitch as was oggling with intent.

Bit of a farce with the old stretcher but glad he got to his feet and hobbled off.

We know he's got knee issues...hope it's not ended his season.

"Whilst shooting, Forte was met by a City defender and he received a massive whack on his ankle which forced Latics to defend with ten men for the remaining six minutes added on."

Not saying you're wrong mind!

"Whilst shooting, Forte was met by a City defender and he received a massive whack on his ankle which forced Latics to defend with ten men for the remaining six minutes added on."

I certainly agree with both Opinions and underdog, it looked like a knee injury to me.

I would assume the writer of that didn't speak to the physio.

Can't understand why we are kicking into the Chaddy after winning the toss, giving the opposition the advantage of the slope. It was the same against Rochdale. This must be something to do with DH, but I fail to see the advantage.

Can't understand why we are kicking into the Chaddy after winning the toss, giving the opposition the advantage of the slope. It was the same against Rochdale. This must be something to do with DH, but I fail to see the advantage.

We did it under Sheridan too.

Rhys Turner has an exceptional touch and will be a special player if he can stay fit, Anthony Gerrard's distribution helped us but at times we lost the midfield battle and let Luke Freeman roam around too freely. Winchester only scores beauties. Poleon needs to learn when to release the ball - his passing is dreadful.

You could tell they were a team full of quality individuals but they didn't seem quite as good a unit as I expected, despite the goal being very well-worked they didn't make that many clear cut opportunities.

RRE was rocking today at times. (Hint to Athleticos).

Luke Freeman was the big difference, Woodlands gave him far too much room, Kelly has been missed in this respect.

Maybe Poleon is trying too hard to impress and is lacking coordination as a result.

Edited by BP1960

Hmmmm it worked pretty well vs Rochdale I seem to remember!

Didn't think 900 from Bristol was a particularly good turnout for a team who were 10 points clear at the top.

I'm sure we would have taken more to Bristol if we'd been in that position!

Their "where were you at Ashton Gate" chant was, errr, odd.

We sold out our allocation.

Poleon was so frustrating yesterday. One minute he did something well, another he did something ridiculously stupid. One thing he did that needs to improve is releasing his cross earlier when he gets to the byline. He worked very hard but they all should.

Winchester looked very good all day.

Gerrard is a beast and himself and Lockwood worked very well together.

Special mention for 'special mention'... I commented at half time that he was doing well and was the best I think I'd seen from him including a very good long range effort....2nd half he struggled and Bristol exploiting us down the right hand side resulting in their goal and best chance which just flashed across goal. At least he wasn't looking to fight constantly this week

I was impressed with Coleman who made a great save and his kicking was excellent first half. A few poor kicks at the start of the 2nd and the crowd got on his back and he lost a bit of composure. He calmed down though and looks like a decent league 1 keeper. At this stage I would say that's a compliment. If he can improve as he plays we will have a 1st choice for next year

No I'm not wrong I'm right, Mrs Wright actually sorry to say the the site is wrong .I might be half blind but I can tell a mans knee from his ankle amongst other pieces of anatomy too and I hope, so can our physio as he was rubbing the wrong bit otherwise and Mr Dean Holden backed me up with his post match intview...sorry Metty

Couldn't believe the groans when Coleman got a couple of kicks wrong (his kicking has generally been excellent so far, he gets it miles and he's quick to release it). He's a teenager playing his 5th game, he's been here since he was 10 or whatever, and he's made some good stops, if you don't want him to do well, you don't like football. No need to moan.