League 1 Activity

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

All privately owned clubs fans are at the mercy of their owners. Fit and proper tests are useful for the day of the transaction and that day only. They don’t stop an owner going rogue afterwards.  They are a very blunt and limited test. 

Also...was the guy that threw literally hundreds of millions at Bolton fit and proper?  He’d have sailed through any test. Yet his actions have directly led to a famous club potentially vanishing. He built a huge unprofitable business around his constant bank rolling. He walks away and wipes out his £200m debt... great... but they are then left with a massively unsustainable business that was doomed to spectacular and catostrphic failure. So obvious. 

And yet despite the fact this is a massively unsustainable business Ken Anderson voluntarily takes the reigns and makes it even worse. Installs himself as commander in chief pays himself a salary of £750k a year for a business that turns over £6million per year he then doesnt pay the staff advertises the club as for sale for a grossly inflated price to get a profit amd plays a game of brinkmanship with the football league "send us under if you dare. He was also banned from being a football agent Id suggest he has a very dodgy moral compass. People like that are lower than a snakes scrotum and sadly too many of them are involved in running football clubs.

If you say punish the clubs who are you actually punishing? The staff many work their have gone without pay for months. The players and coaches who signed contracts in good faith they'd be honoured or the fans many of whom will have gone for generations and have an emotional attachment.

Im all for dealing out punishment to people who run football clubs badly but if Bury or Bolton go under the people who caused it will get away with it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

And yet despite the fact this is a massively unsustainable business Ken Anderson voluntarily takes the reigns and makes it even worse. Installs himself as commander in chief pays himself a salary of £750k a year for a business that turns over £6million per year he then doesnt pay the staff advertises the club as for sale for a grossly inflated price to get a profit amd plays a game of brinkmanship with the football league "send us under if you dare. He was also banned from being a football agent Id suggest he has a very dodgy moral compass. People like that are lower than a snakes scrotum and sadly too many of them are involved in running football clubs.

If you say punish the clubs who are you actually punishing? The staff many work their have gone without pay for months. The players and coaches who signed contracts in good faith they'd be honoured or the fans many of whom will have gone for generations and have an emotional attachment.

Im all for dealing out punishment to people who run football clubs badly but if Bury or Bolton go under the people who caused it will get away with it.

Like most businesses. Limited liability.... I’m not sure some of the FLG are whiter than white in that regard either. But that’ll be ok.  That’s life.

19 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Has anyone heard anything re Bury and Bolton, the EFL issued a 5pm deadline all seems quiet. 

EFL Twitter very quiet.  I’m presuming they’ve heard bugger all from Bury and Bolton and are sat in a room looking at each other,  wondering what the hell to do next. 

11 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

EFL Twitter very quiet.  I’m presuming they’ve heard bugger all from Bury and Bolton and are sat in a room looking at each other,  wondering what the hell to do next. 

You would have thought the Bury and Bolton fans would be all over this, strangely quiet. 

38 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Shit, I thought that third deadline in 4 days would have sprung them into action, what do we do now?

Erm, they'll forget about it. Give them a new deadline tomorrow...

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

And employed his son consultant work on £150k

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

You would have thought that Bury will be racking up points deduction upon each unfulfilled fixture. 

Absolute farce. Bury should be expelled. They haven’t even bothered to contact the EFL. Zero response. 

Bolton are getting off lightly too. I’ll be surprised if they are actually ready by Saturday. They have done literally none of the usual pre season admin. 

None of the Bolton players have been paid, just offers and more promises to them at a meeting this morning..Players are free to walk out at the end if this month if there are no payments, i really cant see their game going ahead..

Bury, i feel for a few of their fans i know but not for the arrogant majority..All those giving it the big un last season when they had a team assembled that they obviously couldnt pay for, they cheated their way to promotion and its now bit them on their arse..I hope they are relegated to the North West Counties league..

The EFL havent got a clue how to work out which owners are fit and proper, there are too many rogues already in the game who dont give a fuck about a clubs history or the fans who’s familys have supported through generations..

I predict there will be eventually three professional leagues in England within ten years, all the money at the moment goes to the premier league clubs and those who are relegated and receive parachute payments then have an unfair financial advantage.. Clubs are crippling themselves chasing that dream..

So the EFL are prepared to postpone Bury's next game as well if conditions are not met. How many more games are they prepared to postpone? It makes a mockery of the whole system. For God's sake, have some balls and make a decision one way or t' other.

39 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Absolute farce. Bury should be expelled. They haven’t even bothered to contact the EFL. Zero response. 

Erm... it says:

“Following continued and comprehensive discussions with the ownership at Bury and other interested parties throughout Monday, the EFL Board is not satisfied it has received the necessary evidence in regard to the outstanding information it requires that demonstrates how the Club will be funded moving forwards. “

🤔

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Erm... it says:

“Following continued and comprehensive discussions with the ownership at Bury and other interested parties throughout Monday, the EFL Board is not satisfied it has received the necessary evidence in regard to the outstanding information it requires that demonstrates how the Club will be funded moving forwards. “

🤔

I think Kow's comment can safely be filed under the hashtag #makingshitup

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I got that from “in the know” sources on social media.  Don’t shoot the messenger. 

If it was a negative post about Latics you’d lap it up. 😂

Seriously, have you ever been wrong about anything?  You'd prefer some source on social media to a reasonably detailed press release from the league?

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seriously, have you ever been wrong about anything?  You'd prefer some source on social media to a reasonably detailed press release from the league?

So you are shooting the messenger.  To answer your question... I think I have... yes.  You? 

Having read some posts on here and elsewhere, I struggle to see the viewpoints of certain people.

There is a club, less than 15 miles away from ourselves and another 25 miles away that are in dire straits due to rogue owners and people want them to go to the wall or for the EFL to “get some bottle” and remove them from the Football League. Since when did we become the fan base who didn’t care about our neighbours.

Regardless of rivalry, regardless of whether they got themselves into this mess etc. the be all and end all is that good, hardworking, honest supporters could and probably will pay the ultimate price of having their club ripped away from them and killed!

I speak about this passionately, due to home life. My mum is a Bury supporter, she has been since circa 1960 and she is heartbroken at the goings on. My mum, back in 2002, when I was 8 and had a season ticket at both Bury (with my mum) and Latics (with my dad) worked tirelessly to enable Bury to survive that financial crisis. She, along with myself and my dad collected with buckets and my mum as well as working full time as a teacher in Middleton was at the club most nights either at meetings, counting money or contacting relevant parties to ensure her club had every chance of being saved. Thankfully, it was! But 17 years later, there they are again, this time in a far advanced state due to one man, ONE MAN in 2013 coming in playing Football Manager with borrowed money.

They didn’t question it people say. They weren’t moaning when they won 2 promotions people say. Well, actually, they were. Plenty of supporters voiced concerns and at one meeting that my mum attended (fans forum) with then chairman Stewart Day, they were shouted down, removed and in some cases physically assaulted by people that were positioned around the room from Day.

As a fanbase, you cannot really do much unless you have some financial clout. Unfortunately, my mum, nor the people she knew had or have got the financial clout to try to remove the rogue owners and as such lay helpless as their club gets ripped to smithereens.

This did happen to us, following Chris Moore’s tenure and I fear it could happen to us once more.

We should be standing side by side with clubs such as Bury, Coventry, Bolton, Notts County, Charlton as if it happened to us, I would want the humility of fellow lower league supporters as to be quite honest, we are pretty much all in the same boat.

14 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

We should be standing side by side with clubs such as Bury, Coventry, Bolton, Notts County, Charlton as if it happened to us, I would want the humility of fellow lower league supporters as to be quite honest, we are pretty much all in the same boat.

Fans United. 😀

3 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

Having read some posts on here and elsewhere, I struggle to see the viewpoints of certain people.

There is a club, less than 15 miles away from ourselves and another 25 miles away that are in dire straits due to rogue owners and people want them to go to the wall or for the EFL to “get some bottle” and remove them from the Football League. Since when did we become the fan base who didn’t care about our neighbours.

Regardless of rivalry, regardless of whether they got themselves into this mess etc. the be all and end all is that good, hardworking, honest supporters could and probably will pay the ultimate price of having their club ripped away from them and killed!

I speak about this passionately, due to home life. My mum is a Bury supporter, she has been since circa 1960 and she is heartbroken at the goings on. My mum, back in 2002, when I was 8 and had a season ticket at both Bury (with my mum) and Latics (with my dad) worked tirelessly to enable Bury to survive that financial crisis. She, along with myself and my dad collected with buckets and my mum as well as working full time as a teacher in Middleton was at the club most nights either at meetings, counting money or contacting relevant parties to ensure her club had every chance of being saved. Thankfully, it was! But 17 years later, there they are again, this time in a far advanced state due to one man, ONE MAN in 2013 coming in playing Football Manager with borrowed money.

They didn’t question it people say. They weren’t moaning when they won 2 promotions people say. Well, actually, they were. Plenty of supporters voiced concerns and at one meeting that my mum attended (fans forum) with then chairman Stewart Day, they were shouted down, removed and in some cases physically assaulted by people that were positioned around the room from Day.

As a fanbase, you cannot really do much unless you have some financial clout. Unfortunately, my mum, nor the people she knew had or have got the financial clout to try to remove the rogue owners and as such lay helpless as their club gets ripped to smithereens.

This did happen to us, following Chris Moore’s tenure and I fear it could happen to us once more.

Great post, agree 100%. If some Bury/Bolton fans were stupid enough to celebrate buying success and to take the mickey out of us, it doesn’t mean they’re all like that. I’d just make two observations:

1. These are local derby opponents. If they disappear, it’s a loss, not a gain, to us.

2. In the bigger picture, it’s ordinary fans. - the bedrock of any club - versus greedy/incompetent/dodgy owners. Don’t let the clowns and charlatans divide us.

Oh, and not the least reason for wanting Bury and Bolton to survive is precisely so that we can carry on hurling abuse at them! 

3 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Great post, agree 100%. If some Bury/Bolton fans were stupid enough to celebrate buying success and to take the mickey out of us, it doesn’t mean they’re all like that. I’d just make two observations:

1. These are local derby opponents. If they disappear, it’s a loss, not a gain, to us.

2. In the bigger picture, it’s ordinary fans. - the bedrock of any club - versus greedy/incompetent/dodgy owners. Don’t let the clowns and charlatans divide us.

Oh, and not the least reason for wanting Bury and Bolton to survive is precisely so that we can carry on hurling abuse at them! 

It's shit for their fans and we would lose a rival. But u also have to see something being done about these clubs who buy their way through football. Can I imagine the likes of dale and accy that have done things properly to very limited success and then teams like bury throw unfair money at it and get away with it and are at the same level. Bury need to b demoted a few leagues

7 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

It's shit for their fans and we would lose a rival. But u also have to see something being done about these clubs who buy their way through football. Can I imagine the likes of dale and accy that have done things properly to very limited success and then teams like bury throw unfair money at it and get away with it and are at the same level. Bury need to b demoted a few leagues

I've had this conversation on a number of occasions and something needs to be done to reward the better run clubs like the Rochdale's and Accrington's of modern day football. I initially thought a bonus scheme - being awarded points etc but not sure how you would implement it. Maybe a greater share of the solidarity payments to them to reward them? 

Hard to know what the actual answer is. Their rogue owners have put them into the situation, some, albeit a minority I'm sure were sceptical and questioned it but supporters don't deserve to suffer like this and they, like any town in England, should have the opportunity to support their local team.

4 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Also very fair comments. I'm all for Bury and Bolton getting demoted (maybe to L2 rather than all the way down the pyramid, i.e.do a Rangers on them), just don't want to see them disappear if possible. Agree absolutely with you re Rochdale, Stanley - maybe as Unsworth says well-run clubs should get a bigger slice of the solidarity payments.

Really difficult to know what the answer is. The way the game is going though is not good.

Archived