kelly 6 games in

should kelly go  

187 members have voted

1. 1. do you think kelly should be relieved of his duties

• yes immediately
    • give him another 4 games
    • give him until christmas
    • no he is the man to take us forward

What worries me is we cut our losses with him... then we get what? another rookie manager, what tells you that he's going to change his recruitment policy of the cheapest offer....

Redfearn and Sheridan? Not a chance.

Dunn or Dean Holden... more likely.

Edited by MAC0AFC

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's rookies then there's rookies like Kelly with no experience or pedigree.

Dowie had money and contacts

Ritchie had an experienced assistant

Shez knew the club inside out and inherited a good pool of players

Dickov was a name and had contacts

LJ was well qualified but had a career plan

Kelly has fast racked through his badges but in terms of coaching experience or playing pedigree he had very little and I'd think his pool of contacts is particularly week. Binning the experienced coach was a massive mistake, perhaps he wanted to attack and this didn't fit in with his and DH philosophy of safety first.

As Prozac mentions in an earlier post, our current management team has stats of only 3 wins in 25 games whilst scoring 19 goals !

To all of the "give him a fair crack of the whip" brigade, these figures, although not solely down to Darren Kelly, are for want of a better description totally sheite.

Another 25 games with the Kelly/Holden combo and their negative brand of football would see us in the relegation places.

That cannot be allowed to happen, i don't ask for their heads on spikes but i would like Corney to make them aware of the need to start scoring at a greater rate and collecting 3 points from a game.

Kelly has fast racked through his badges but in terms of coaching experience or playing pedigree he had very little and I'd think his pool of contacts is particularly week. Binning the experienced coach was a massive mistake, perhaps he wanted to attack and this didn't fit in with his and DH philosophy of safety first.

I've reached my quota of up votes apparently, but this would've had one. Spot on IMO.

I meant the phone-in on the radio. At the match yesterday, at least Barry went and faced the criticism like somebody who may be accountable to fans.

Corney is conspicuous in his absence, and the club doesn't feel right at the moment.

Being photographed sticking his finger is someone's face suggests he wasn't doing it for the sake of the fans.

Barry actually #PHONENUMBER'ed me yesterday - gave his number to someone to pass on to me so I could phone him to explain how I know things about the club!

#ololololol #ANYWHEREEXCEPTTHECHAMPIONSHIPIN10MINUTES

The poll's a difficult one. On the one hand, I thought he was a very poor appointment right from the off. Nothing has convinced me otherwise since. But, at the same time, I think managers should be given a fair crack of the whip and you can't really argue that he's had that. I don't blame Kelly really; he optimistically chucked an application in and was handed a job I believe he completely out of his depth with. It's the club's fault for putting him there in the first place.

As Prozac mentions in an earlier post, our current management team has stats of only 3 wins in 25 games whilst scoring 19 goals !

That's not true though is it?

A true stat is its been 6 league games, 1 defeat and only 5 goals conceded.

Stats don't tell the full story.

It's too early to sack Kelly.

We have to stick to facts and - unfortunately for some - we've only lost 1 league game out of 6.

Nobody truly gives a toss about the JPT and we've not won a LC game for a long, long time. Those defeats are irrelevant.

It's only fair to give Kelly (who is a rookie, don't forget) time.

It's all well and good only losing 1 game in every 6, but if 4 of the other games are draws and only 1 win every 6 then that will see us very very close to being relegated.

Then we'd just have to hope and pray that there are 4 teams worse than us.

The mentality of the club, from top to bottom has to change from purely surviving in this :censored: league to actually trying to achieve something much more positive.

With the current management team, owner, directors etc, I just can't see this happening at all.

That's not true though is it?

A true stat is its been 6 league games, 1 defeat and only 5 goals conceded.

Stats don't tell the full story.

Correct, that is why i said it is not solely down to Kelly but a combination of him and Holden.

Without checking the figures for myself ( Prozac is usually pretty reliable with this kind of stuff) i would say that the stats look pretty convincing.

Would you rather look at a projected 54 points total for the season based on the first 6 games ?

Or 38 goals score and 38 conceded.

Should be enough to avoid relegation i suppose.

Correct, that is why i said it is not solely down to Kelly but a combination of him and Holden.

Without checking the figures for myself ( Prozac is usually pretty reliable with this kind of stuff) i would say that the stats look pretty convincing.

Would you rather look at a projected 54 points total for the season based on the first 6 games ?

Or 38 goals score and 38 conceded.

Should be enough to avoid relegation i suppose.

My point was that you can make stats fit any agenda.

It's not fair to tar Kelly with last season's brush. It has absolutely nothing to do with him.

If Paul Scholes was the manager and we had exactly the same record, teams, tactics etc then there would definitely not be a 10 page thread about getting rid of him after 6 games.

That's why for me, as I've said before, we may as well let him go. 6 games in, 1 defeat, and a clamour for his sacking. It's basically promotion this season for him or bust as far as a lot of fans are concerned.

I haven't said i want him to go NZ, i want him to throw his philosophy in to the waste paper bin and start again with a bit more of an ambitious playing intent.

What the hell these coaching qualifications entail i do not know but it is time for Darren to leave that behind and become a football manager.

I agree with this although we can only really speculate why Harvey left.

I get the impression this job has come to Kelly one step too early if he had had experience as a coach in a first team setup seeing a manager deal with all the issues a manager deals with. I think Kelly is still learning to become a coach therefore I don't feel he's ready to become a manager yet. I hope he proves me wrong.

His transfer dealings have been quite good, the problem is for some reason he hasn't stuck to his philisophy of expansive attacking football at home. If the team shape and tactics are the same for next match against a low in confidence Peterborough I will be concerned.

The management team needs to go but there needs to be changes at the top too Phil the club needs a winning mentality not pathetic exceuse after pathetic excuse.

Completely agree with this Paul, for me the board must take the majority of the blame. I dont rate kelly but he should never have been given the job in the first place.

However i made the poll purely about kelly as to stay on topic. The discussion about the board could start a whole new 10 page thread.

I think what pisses people of the most is the time the club took to appoint a new manager and during that time saying it was the highest calibre of manager who was applying for the job.Kelly was f@cked before he even started and as been mentioned by another poster watching both benches yesterday made my mind up about Kelly and Holdens partnership reminded me of Talbot and Shez.

Redferns record as a manager is dreadful

Vaguely intriguingly a small element of Redfearn's managerial career was a stint as caretaker (and then assistant) at York while Kelly was a player there back in 2008

Edited by Dave_Og

If the very strong rumours were true he lied on his CV about his qualifications, he lied to the board and more importantly the fans with his promise of attacking football. This is the best group of players we've had in a long time, failure due to the management teams incompetence is not an option. It's not one defeat in 6 as it's being put, it's one win in 8 games league and cup and we've not played any of the fancied teams yet in the league. Think it will be all over within the next few weeks and the board will have to hold their hands up and apologise to the fans and admit they got it badly wrong!!

If the very strong rumours were true he lied on his CV about his qualifications, he lied to the board and more importantly the fans with his promise of attacking football. This is the best group of players we've had in a long time, failure due to the management teams incompetence is not an option. It's not one defeat in 6 as it's being put, it's one win in 8 games league and cup and we've not played any of the fancied teams yet in the league. Think it will be all over within the next few weeks and the board will have to hold their hands up and apologise to the fans and admit they got it badly wrong!!

What is this "very strong rumour" that he "lied on his CV" ?

Strong inasmuch it is based on what? What evidence is there that it's true?

You've flagged it, so back it up.