vocal disapproval and apathy

Well you people are right about us not having a club without Corney. However his recent decisions : Ched Evans, the appointment of Kelly and Dunn and the North stand (late opening and problems with the function room with no explanation) have been poor. If you like it as it is then fine. I won't renew my season ticket next season if there aren't radical changes. The club is badly run from top to bottom, we're an embarrassment!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all down in the doldrums, but this sat match is a chance to pull together as one.

There are a couple of threads on the go about the festive fun day this Saturday. The club with trust oldham have arranged a food bank/toy donation/ bucket shaking for those in our community/kids in hospital that won't be having such a great time at Christmas time.

I'm sure they won't mind me telling you a little bit. There will be vans at both new and old club shop for donations, some brass bands playing some festive music in the ground, Santas grotto in the family side of the RRE. Xmas jumpers are not are a priority for all to be worn but club staff are being asked to wear them so please feel free to join in. I think there is plan for some festive food/drink and an attempt for a giant pass the parcel too and a few other surprises too....well a win would be the best surprise I suppose

It's an attempt to get us all going again both on and off the pitch..ok it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but if we can attempt to try and get behind these buggers our luck could change, especially once the injuries clear up

So I suppose it's up to is fans, do we at least attempt to support the players and if so shall we have a go at it this Saturday?

Depending how hung over I am, I have volunteered to shake a bucket and plan to wear a festive hat, so come and say hello and throw your loose change at me too, well in the direction of the bucket and not at my head please

See you saturday

Well you people are right about us not having a club without Corney. However his recent decisions : Ched Evans, the appointment of Kelly and Dunn and the North stand (late opening and problems with the function room with no explanation) have been poor. If you like it as it is then fine. I won't renew my season ticket next season if there aren't radical changes. The club is badly run from top to bottom, we're an embarrassment!

'Badly run from top to bottom'.

That could apply to 75% of the Football League.

The game is unprofitable for virtually all clubs.

The game as a whole is dependant on philanthropy, glory hunters and asset strippers. Without these people football would be stuffed.

At the top there's glamour and debt. In the middle there's hope and debt. At the bottom there is debt and if your lucky a fear of debt. Taking Corney at his word, we are in the fear of debt category. I for one am only prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt because I am not going to pretend I understand the financing of the club. Nor am I going to fret or moan over something I have no control over.

Could someone come up with a product that is more unreliable than football no matter how much money you throw at it, disregarding a Morris Marina or a Moskovich.

We will all have our breaking point over supporting the club as is all too evident. But expecting someone to take the risk and think barracking management and players is going to produce a improvement/buyer is naive. Best just to walk and keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by mikeroyboy

The game as a whole is dependant on philanthropy, glory hunters and asset strippers. Without these people football would be stuffed.

As a whole, you are right - football wouldn't be stuffed though - no matter what happens, fans make the game. Without us football would be stuffed.

Stop using agents.

Outlaw the use of sole-benefactors.

Stop using prize money for part of the wage budget.

Give the power of negotiation with TV to the club themselves, not the FA.

Give the power of negotiation with TV to the club themselves, not the FA.

Really?

United get £100m a season and Latics will get £1.50 and a lollipop?

Or more sensibly, United could negotiate for said £100m but West Brom may only get £20m. Just creates an even more biased system than it is now.

Get rid of parachute payments and spread the income from the TV deals further, preferably to grass roots.

Spain has proven repeatedly this one doesn't work, as teams are self interested and thus big get bigger and small get smaller.

How does it work? La Liga is flawed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, what I an saying is that there could be a better way of arbitration and distribution other than the Spanish model. Let's think about solutions.

One of the biggest problem is the impotence of the FA against the Premier League. It's the latter that negotiates the big money tv deals and the FA is, or seems, powerless to insist that some of the cash is distributed downwards.

Lets also keep in mind we put our name in favour of that.... We voted in favour of it... Because apparently we had "no choice" - bull:censored:

Edited by oafc0000

I can guarantee that today's deserters will be tomorrow's glory-hunters.

Sadly not true... I haven't been back for any of the recent years "glory" games against Liverpool and such like... Once you stop going its very hard to start going again....

I have and I'm not ashamed of that one bit. The incentive to do a four hundred mile round trip for the :censored: currently being dished up week-to-week, at considerable expense, isn't enough to get me there at the moment. But would I have missed the opportunity to see us play at Old Trafford? Would I :censored:!

And if I was a glory hunter, I wouldn't be supporting Oldham Athletic, would I?

FFS.

One of the biggest problem is the impotence of the FA against the Premier League. It's the latter that negotiates the big money tv deals and the FA is, or seems, powerless to insist that some of the cash is distributed downwards.

I was under the impression that it's The Football League that negotiates the package that we get from Sky or whoever is buying the TV rights, not the Premiership. Which is why a lot of clubs got :censored:ed over when they sold rights to ITV Digital who ended up collapsing.

It is for us but that's why I said the "big money" deal.

Where finishing last gets £100m

It's the PL that decides if any of those riches are passed down

True, but with the way they have captured the top of the market with the Premier League brand they could tell us to do one and us never receive a penny again (including parachute payments which most clubs are scared of losing incase they hit the big time.)

The FA are powerless to effect change. The Football league too. Instead, they've allowed the Premier League to become dictators to us in this murky deal whereby clubs receive payments from the PL for nodding and agreeing with everything they want...most worrying, the abolishment of the Youth system payments instead replaced with the Elite Players Performance Plan which has basically wiped out all clubs protection from losing their best youngsters for sod all. This is why some clubs are closing down their own youth systems which was something we considered. To us it has been a bloodline, but thanks to the EPPP it's more apparent than ever that we need to rush these young kids into the first team so they either sink or swim and if lucky, we can sell one or two of them on.

Just out of interest, here are a couple of articles going back to the ITV Digital days...quite an interesting read. I've spent many a time wondering why Chris Moore did what he did...maybe this was one of the main reasons. We will probably never know...

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2014/03/12/the-effect-of-the-itv-digital-collapse-on-lower-league-football/

http://www.bsad.org/articles/itv2.html

Edited by boundaryblue80

How does it work? La Liga is flawed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, what I an saying is that there could be a better way of arbitration and distribution other than the Spanish model. Let's think about solutions.

Oh absolutely we need change and solutions. I was just highlighting specifically that point is flawed.

The biggest and most important change would come from a viable and enforced Collective Bargaining Agreement akin to those in US sports, which restricts teams and players to defined pay structures across the league(s) and thus the dependency on the biggest clubs to be greedy - if you can only spend X on players being able to make X10 is far less important.

Fickle. That's what.

If they've been going regularly for years and have finally had enough I don't think "fickle" is the word you're looking for.

Are you not just saying fans who were previously die hards will in the future become "fairweather" supporters?

fickle
ˈfɪk(ə)l/
adjective
  1. changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties or affections.
    "celebs trying to appeal to an increasingly fickle public"