New manager being discussed?

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right - I did say "I know" when quoting Wikipedia , 30 goals in 3 years is still fairly underwhelming if you're claiming him to be the greatest in the clubs history. Porter managed 20 or 21 in one season alone. And he still took that penalty... I could have done better with that one lol

I'm not, I said he was the best I saw in my time watching us, in my opinion like.

Good god was he really manager for 3 years??

Yea, got way longer than Dunn ever will. He did sign Shaun Garnett, Gary Kelly and Sami Hyppia though. :grin:

I'm not, I said he was the best I saw in my time watching us, in my opinion like.

Yea, got way longer than Dunn ever will. He did sign Shaun Garnett, Gary Kelly and Sami Hyppia though. :grin:

Garnett and Kellly I'll give you - two great signings especially Kelly who is up there with Gerrard in best keepers I've seen IMO, but we never signed Hypia - we had him on trial and if I remember rightly Sharpe said he was no better than what we already had.... Can't think of too many players we've had on trial who went on to captain a team to the Champions League trophy - typical bloody Latics lol

Garnett and Kellly I'll give you - two great signings especially Kelly who is up there with Gerrard in best keepers I've seen IMO, but we never signed Hypia - we had him on trial and if I remember rightly Sharpe said he was no better than what we already had.... Can't think of too many players we've had on trial who went on to captain a team to the Champions League trophy - typical bloody Latics lol

Your wrong about that mate, Sharp wanted to sign him, the board said no. Before Corney's time too.

Your wrong about that mate, Sharp wanted to sign him, the board said no. Before Corney's time too.

The deal was done & Sharp had agreed with Stott we were buying him. Stott pulled the plug at the last minute as it was too much money to risk..

In Stott's case we probably had a bit of money at the time but he tightened the purse strings after relegation.

Corney probably thought the last time I spent that kind of money I got Joe Colbeck. Can you blame him?

Edited by palmer1

In Stott's case we probably had a bit of money at the time but he tightened the purse strings after relegation.

Corney probably thought the last time I spent that kind of money I got Joe Colbeck. Can you blame him?

That made me grin - if Corney was thinking that then I don't blame him in the slightest!

Sharp had the greatest career but he was on his way out when he played for us surely?

I know what you mean, Sharp was past his best, otherwise Everton wouldn't have sold him. But i think Sharp was a subtle, clever player. Not the best in terms of goals, but a very intelligent player. Dunn, Marshall and Young were great, and Ron was very underrated. If he'd had pace (and not been affected by the cold weather), he could've been great. Another quite subtle player with a good first touch. Big Vic actually stepped back into a deep position. His vision and distribution were superb.

I know what you mean, Sharp was past his best, otherwise Everton wouldn't have sold him. But i think Sharp was a subtle, clever player. Not the best in terms of goals, but a very intelligent player. Dunn, Marshall and Young were great, and Ron was very underrated. If he'd had pace (and not been affected by the cold weather), he could've been great. Another quite subtle player with a good first touch. Big Vic actually stepped back into a deep position. His vision and distribution were superb.

Spot on that. Futcher was very very good. He was a nasty bastard on the pitch too which is always a good thing in a centre forward. I saw him get sent off at Blackburn for chinning one of their players. Quality. :D

Spot on that. Futcher was very very good. He was a nasty bastard on the pitch too which is always a good thing in a centre forward. I saw him get sent off at Blackburn for chinning one of their players. Quality. :D

Naturally, he became a boo boy for being lazy and not chasing lost causes.

Naturally, he became a boo boy for being lazy and not chasing lost causes.

Technically, Ron Futcher was one of the best we had, a sublime first touch, he was good in the air and could score goals, but he wasnt the most mobile as as you say. Had he pace and a better temperament he would have been a top class player.

Edited by BP1960

Futcher was in the team when I first started watching Latics as a 7 year old. The thing I remember about him was his goals and his short fuse. I have a vague recollection of an opposition player trying to sue him for breaking his jaw.

Better than Andy Ritchie? No.

Not sure Ritchie was a centre forward in the mould of those being discussed here, although he was undoubtedly the best striker I've seen in 40 odd years of watching. Of the centre forward types being talked about here (target men types) then Sharp, Bunn (assume you mean him not Dunn bfj ;)) and Fryatt were my favourites followed by Young and Jim Steele ;)

Better than Andy Ritchie? No.

For me, Ritchie was more in the striker mode, playing alongside the centre forward (Bunn, being the obvious one). I was thinking more about the tall centre forward who leads the line. If we're talking about all strikers/forwards, then no contest. Ritchie remains an Oldham god.

Futcher was in the team when I first started watching Latics as a 7 year old. The thing I remember about him was his goals and his short fuse. I have a vague recollection of an opposition player trying to sue him for breaking his jaw.

The Futcher brothers had oposite qualities, merged into one would have been a superstar.

Technically, Ron Futcher was one of the best we had, a sublime first touch, he was good in the air and could score goals, but he wasnt the most mobile as as you say. Had he pace and a better temperament he would have been a top class player.

Also took penalties with either left or right foot

Glad to see the Futcher twins getting recognition on here, Paul was a great CB but we had a production line of great CB at the time and often gets overlooked.

Ron's goal/game ratio maybe one of the best latics had - alongside Quinn. Rons lack of pace and Quins off field behaviour probably cost them superstar status.