GMR Phone in Monday 25th Jan 6 till 7

Neil Joy spoke well. Which you would expect of a clever fella. Defo dodged and never answered some of the questions raised rather skirted round them.

For me the tone of his answers came from the very first question and wasn't taken to task about the magnitude of the problem the caller was trying to allude to. The question was really what have Latics left to attract a new investor/owner. Meaning when TTA took over they not only had a football club lock stock and barrel, but land, and lots of it.

But a potential new owner won't be interested in the land that has now been built on/is being built on anyway.

Just like previous owners who didn't use it...

The prospect of developing or selling it made the deal stack up for TTA at the time.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What land do other clubs in our division own round their stadiums? I bet there are a lot that dont own any in the area round. Bradford for we ample last week. Surely they only own the ground. Nothing round it apart from houses

I am not sure the fact that many other clubs are :censored:ed as well is much comfort to be honest.

Hardly. TTA bought the club for nothing and got a knock down deal from the council for the land. Of course it isn't as attractive.

My point is that potential investors can still sit down with Corney and make him an offer. No where has it been said the land isn't for sale. Neil Joy last night said that an investor can make an offer for "all or part."

People are blinded by OAFC (2004). The fact that brass bank could be a part of the same transaction appears to be forgotten or simply not understood.

What do you think the land is worth now?

Al land prices have gone up, but I don't think many thought it was an amazing deal at the time.

Also we donlt know how much debt they took on, because they did not put all the debt into the administration process.

And there was not a queue of people with £5m in their back pocket at the time, as they said at the time, it was the land deal that got them interested, without it they would not have touched, the football was a bonus.

Nmo one else was around with the means.

The question was answered though and it covered being against Dunn's wishes without mentioning it. The club made the decision it was the right deal. Do you think Spurs manager wanted Bale to go Madrid? Massively different transfer fees but if it benefits the club which they believe it did they accept. If someone offers a million for Kelly tomorrow do you think they'll ask Shez or will they see it as helping the club financially?

How does it benefit Oldham by selling a player who has since scored twice earning points for a relegation rival while we have not scored a single goal.

Bale to Madrid!!!? are Spurs and Madrid rivals for anything?

Al land prices have gone up, but I don't think many thought it was an amazing deal at the time.

Also we donlt know how much debt they took on, because they did not put all the debt into the administration process.

And there was not a queue of people with £5m in their back pocket at the time, as they said at the time, it was the land deal that got them interested, without it they would not have touched, the football was a bonus.

Am sure they came in saying they always wanted to own a football club.

But a potential new owner won't be interested in the land that has now been built on/is being built on anyway.

Just like previous owners who didn't use it...

The prospect of developing or selling it made the deal stack up for TTA at the time.

Yeah, people are getting too occupied with that.

Plenty of owners are just in it for the kudos of owning a football club.

They've built a nice facility now which will be there for years to come and makes us a more attractive purchase.

When did owning or not owning some land around your ground become a measure of a club being :censored:ed or not :censored:ed??

Its sad I have to keep explaining this... You think a lack of assets is a good thing for a company which struggles to meet is outgoings ? Assets like land and stadium are a clubs safety net...

The huge fall back for football clubs struggling was their ground and land they owned. With many clubs not owning their ground / land now it puts lots of them in difficult positions. Look at Bolton, their only hope at the moment is selling off land. If it wasn't for the land they would of been wound up last week.

Clubs not owning any real assets to borrow against or sell off if needs be puts lots of them in real danger of collapse. Its pretty obvious isn't it ?

Its not a unique problem for us.

Its not the only measure of how :censored:ed a club is. but us and the rest of football is lot more :censored:ed than it was twenty years ago....

Edited by oafc0000

Yeah, people are getting too occupied with that.

Plenty of owners are just in it for the kudos of owning a football club.

They've built a nice facility now which will be there for years to come and makes us a more attractive purchase.

We are a more attractive option to buy since the new stand was built, after TTA knocked down the old stand. But not as attractive as when TTA originally bought us with all that land available.

I don't think their ownership could ever be viewed as being a successful one. They ultimately failed to move the club forward in my opinion.

Its sad I have to keep explaining this... You think a lack of assets is a good thing for a company which struggles to meet is outgoings ? Assets like land and stadium are a clubs safety net...

The huge fall back for football clubs struggling was their ground and land they owned. With many clubs not owning their ground / land now it puts lots of them in difficult positions. Look at Bolton, their only hope at the moment is selling off land. If it wasn't for the land they would of been wound up last week.

Clubs not owning any real assets to borrow against or sell off if needs be puts lots of them in real danger of collapse. Its pretty obvious isn't it ?

Its not a unique problem for us.

Its not the only measure of how :censored:ed a club is. but us and the rest of football is lot more :censored:ed than it was twenty years ago....

What land do United own?

I don't know and wouldn't like to guess. Given that some has been sold off to the hospital and some has gone for housing it probably isn't too much different from what was paid originally, which is still a significant area.

The £5m in the back pocket is the same as now, not many kicking around.

We are a more attractive option to buy since the new stand was built, after TTA knocked down the old stand. But not as attractive as when TTA originally bought us with all that land available.

I don't think their ownership could ever be viewed as being a successful one. They ultimately failed to move the club forward in my opinion.

I disagree with this on the basis of the new stand. True the site could be bulldozed tomorrow but the building of the stand will have only increased the value of the buildings on the site, meaning that bulldozing three old and one new stand is not as cost effective as it would have been bulldozing four old stands ten years ago.

The cost of building the new stand can't be underestimated in the long-term future of the club.

I've no idea but the massive commercial cash flows from sky, merchandising and 75k punters turning up to watch them fail to score probably makes it a moot point.

MUFC as a brand has more equity in it than any value of land in Manchester so it's a moot point.

OAFC as a brand is the exact opposite and is currently pretty worthless in comparison to the value of the land

I've no idea but the massive commercial cash flows from sky, merchandising and 75k punters turning up to watch them fail to score probably makes it a moot point.

MUFC as a brand has more equity in it than any value of land in Manchester so it's a moot point.

OAFC as a brand is the exact opposite and is currently pretty worthless in comparison to the value of the land

Yes, yes, I know.

My reply was to a specific point made by 0000's

Apparently the 'debt' isn't actually a debt like we know it Simon Brooke said last night. He also mentioned There are also a few interests at the moment with people wanting to takeover.

A few interested in taking over, seriously, he said that last night?

I never heard that!

NJ apologies to the fans and staff for the last twelve months and the poor decision making from the board.

It's a tall order but I think we can all get behind the club attempting to get through a whole 12 month period without doing a single thing that results in oafc0000 crawling out from under his rock.....

It's a tall order but I think we can all get behind the club attempting to get through a whole 12 month period without doing a single thing that results in oafc0000 crawling out from under his rock.....

More chance of Oscar Pistorious sprouting real legs and running out of prison