Matt Palmer

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I has one real quality that many of our current midfield have had coached out of them by the previous four managers, he is always looking for that forward pass and if he can't pass forward he will use a touch to turn or take it away from his marker so he can make a forward pass, very Shez like in his style of play.

Guest nonaenever

I'm not saying he will turn out this way and I'm playing devils advocate abit here but that Danny Whittakar looked pretty good after his first month with us :)

I`ve seen Palmer in every game since he arrived home and away - usually our man of the match or very close - he is very good so this comparison is quite funny (as I`m sure it was meant to be). Palmer has a low centre of gravity and uses it to turn to great effect. Unlike Winchester, he also knows how to create danger REGULARLY with a threaded pass instead of swagger and sideways passing which is very ineffective. Winchester could actually learn an awful lot from him.

Matt Palmer @mattpalmer_23 11m11 minutes ago

Matt Palmer Retweeted Oldham Athletic AFC

Thankyou 1f44d-1f3fc.png

Matt Palmer added,

Oldham Athletic AFC @OfficialOAFC
Well done to midfielder @mattpalmer_23 who has made this week's @football_league Team of the Week. Congratulations! https://twitter.com/football_league/status/701796642693976066
2 retweets 11 likes

I`ve seen Palmer in every game since he arrived home and away - usually our man of the match or very close - he is very good so this comparison is quite funny (as I`m sure it was meant to be). Palmer has a low centre of gravity and uses it to turn to great effect. Unlike Winchester, he also knows how to create danger REGULARLY with a threaded pass instead of swagger and sideways passing which is very ineffective. Winchester could actually learn an awful lot from him.

Palmer is only 21 in February and Winchester will be 23 in April, you would think it was the other way round. Winchester has the touch and the skill required to be a good player but is lacking in mental and physical strength.

The biggest difference for me is Palmer is always looking up when in possession whereas Winnie is head down and isn't always aware of what's going on around him.

I hope Shez's influence can help him with his game because potentially we have a fair prospect, however you can't be a prospect forever and for me he's got to make the step up next season if he wants to make it at this level or higher.

Can't see us having the money they will ask for him

They can't ask anything for him as his contract is up this season. Any fee would be via a tribunal if they pushed for it!

A tribunal take into account the years he was at the club etc and the investment into him.(I may be wrong though) He hasn't done anything significant in the 1st team or commanded a regular place for that to make it a massive fee. If they don't offer him a new deal I think he can walk away anyway and do what he wants!

I presume he'll be on small money from a contract signed at Burton aged 19 or 20 before they went on a roll. He's not yet that exceptional to attract the big teams at our level or get them to forget that he's a foot shorter than average. If he likes it here I reckon we could have a chance to sign him.

He's been to 2 away games where we've taken 1,200ish fans. For a team that's second from bottom, it's still likely to be more away fans he's played in front of when playing for Burton.

Not the be all and end all but it must be in the back of his mind that there's a potential there.

All about how Sheridan sells us for next season. As much as I admire what Burton have done, I'd be disappointed if we weren't higher up than them in 5 years.

We may even end up seeming the more attractive option for him, particularly if they don't go up.

Edited by longtimeblue

I presume he'll be on small money from a contract signed at Burton aged 19 or 20 before they went on a roll. He's not yet that exceptional to attract the big teams at our level or get them to forget that he's a foot shorter than average. If he likes it here I reckon we could have a chance to sign him.

Hasselbank may be interested to take him to QPR. However he may not get into the team immediately and may prefer to play. Other top L1 clubs will be interested in the summer, but why not get n now and offer him a deal.

That significant he's been sent out on loan to a bottom club in league 1. Their opinion of him can't be that high!

In the Burton Mail, Nigel Clough said: "A couple of clubs came in for him and he told us he was keen to get out and play some football. With John Sheridan coming in he'll be a good fit. John's teams have always played good football and that's one of the attractions for Matt going there."