Matt Palmer

I'd love to know how many shots he's taken from outside the box without success over his Oldham career.

Just with a rudimentary Twitter bar search, I count 17 times the official account has tweeted he's taken a shot from distance this season with no luck.

When he gets one in it will be a screamer

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Burton Mail:

BURTON Albion boss Nigel Clough has not ruled out recalling Matt Palmer as his loan deal with Oldham Athletic expires tomorrow.
However, it looks more likely that the midfielder, who turns 21 tomorrow, will stay at Boundary Park.

"We're just having a chat about it but we've got no problems with Matt staying out there, providing we've got enough members of our squad," said Clough.
"It might depend on who we can bring in. It's been brilliant for Matt – he's got some games and he's up to speed now.
"If we feel as though we need him back, we'll bring him back after the weekend.
"He can play tomorrow (for Oldham) – his loan is up after the game."

"That's the dilemma that we've got," Clough added.
"He is different to what we've got – he's a passer of the ball and needs people around him to pass it to.
"Although we did it quite well the other night, generally that's not our strength as a team.
"That may be one of the reasons he's struggled to get in.
we've kept an eye on him while he's been there and we'll make a decision on him in the next couple of days.

"John Sheridan is delighted with him. We spoke to him and he would like to keep Matt.
"We could have him back within 28 days again so we'd have to think about that."

In the Burton Mail:

BURTON Albion boss Nigel Clough has not ruled out recalling Matt Palmer as his loan deal with Oldham Athletic expires tomorrow.

However, it looks more likely that the midfielder, who turns 21 tomorrow, will stay at Boundary Park.

"We're just having a chat about it but we've got no problems with Matt staying out there, providing we've got enough members of our squad," said Clough.

"It might depend on who we can bring in. It's been brilliant for Matt – he's got some games and he's up to speed now.

"If we feel as though we need him back, we'll bring him back after the weekend.

"He can play tomorrow (for Oldham) – his loan is up after the game."

"That's the dilemma that we've got," Clough added.

"He is different to what we've got – he's a passer of the ball and needs people around him to pass it to.

"Although we did it quite well the other night, generally that's not our strength as a team.

"That may be one of the reasons he's struggled to get in.

we've kept an eye on him while he's been there and we'll make a decision on him in the next couple of days.

"John Sheridan is delighted with him. We spoke to him and he would like to keep Matt.

"We could have him back within 28 days again so we'd have to think about that."

So Clough is basically saying they're a bunch of hoof it merchants!................. it's not worked out bad for them though I suppose

Hoof it didnt work too badly for Ronnie Moore either. Looks like theyll allow another month loan, but :censored: us off after that. If I was Corney Id have a £100k offer on the table to sign him in the summer. He will be worth 5 times that in a year if he keeps playing as well as this.

So Clough is basically saying they're a bunch of hoof it merchants!................. it's not worked out bad for them though I suppose

From the cloughthemagicdragon Forum:

Situations Vacant: Playmaker Wanted

Post by mikeyboy on Feb 22, 2016 at 9:45pm
To add creativity to midfield that lacks the ability to unlock defences now Nasser has gone. Applicants from Boundary Park welcome.

Hoof it didnt work too badly for Ronnie Moore either. Looks like theyll allow another month loan, but :censored: us off after that. If I was Corney Id have a £100k offer on the table to sign him in the summer. He will be worth 5 times that in a year if he keeps playing as well as this.

He's out of contract in the summer I believe so no need to offer them anything if he doesn't sign a deal!

Edited by super_blue

We're free to speak to him now aren't we as he's in the last 6 months of his contract?

But yes, I'd send some money Burton's way to extend the loan until the end of the season. He might be the difference between survival and relegation.

Totally agree.

He's enjoying his football and is contracted to Burton on a League Two contract.

If we don't sign him this season, we never will.

+1 I have had reservations re playershare (no disrespect to those involved) but will throw in £5 a point to end of season from game on Tuesday, £50 if we stay up and £50 if safe with three games left. (dont want to see it go to wire) ....... £100 if we sign Palmer into next season and possibly invest in two season tickets if stay up with Palmer in squad come August. All about value for money in Shez we trust. Willing to mix up team to suit the opposition. Money will be paid via Underdog whom I trust. The lad looks well suited to working with Shez and has that buzz I remember Mark Ward having when sponsored him. EDIT booger the scoreboard its the team that generates income.

No, i won't say anything.....great player though.

Guest nonaenever

Was excellent again today - so he's no "flash in the pan" - he's consistently been amongst our best 2 or 3 players in every match he's played for us now. I don't want to inflame the "scoreboard" debate again (made my feelings known on another thread) but agree with a previous poster - money should be directed to try and buy/retain Palmer - he will be of far more value than a few adverts - he may well be a massive assist in keeping us up.

From that you would have to say that Burton have no intention of wanting Matty Palmer back for the forseeable future. Maybe he is surplus to requirements full stop.