Crowdfunding scoreboard

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they keep the money either way.

Back in 1948 Latics attempted to sign the Middlesbrough and England international Wilf Mannion, who was in dispute with his club. Mannion was one of British football’s all-time greats. Shareholders and supporters were asked to help raise part of the £25,000 asking price, and the ‘Mannion Fund’ was formed. Latics fans raised £1,500

4355344775_a401713ca8.jpg

Courtesy of Stewart W. Beckett’s book ‘Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year Journey’.

Mannion was keen to join Latics and one of the Club’s directors fixed him up with a job in the area, to help until his dispute was settled and a deal between the clubs struck. That never happened and the transaction collapsed, leaving the question over returning the £1,500 to so many unknown donors. Consequently the cash was banked until the early 1950s, when it was handed over to a charity.

Back in 1948 Latics attempted to sign the Middlesbrough and England international Wilf Mannion, who was in dispute with his club. Mannion was one of British footballs all-time greats. Shareholders and supporters were asked to help raise part of the £25,000 asking price, and the Mannion Fund was formed. Latics fans raised £1,500

Courtesy of Stewart W. Becketts book Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year Journey.

Mannion was keen to join Latics and one of the Clubs directors fixed him up with a job in the area, to help until his dispute was settled and a deal between the clubs struck. That never happened and the transaction collapsed, leaving the question over returning the £1,500 to so many unknown donors. Consequently the cash was banked until the early 1950s, when it was handed over to a charity.

What I find most incredible is that this is the same club that wouldn't even consider spending £25k on a player in most instances, and we're 55 years down the line.

What I find most incredible is that this is the same club that wouldn't even consider spending £25k on a player in most instances, and we're 55 years down the line.

We paid for a stiker last season who will probably start tomorrow.

Also the Bosman rule was nearly 50 years away. You don't really need to spend a fee nowadays to sign players.

Back in 1948 Latics attempted to sign the Middlesbrough and England international Wilf Mannion, who was in dispute with his club. Mannion was one of British footballs all-time greats. Shareholders and supporters were asked to help raise part of the £25,000 asking price, and the Mannion Fund was formed. Latics fans raised £1,500

Courtesy of Stewart W. Becketts book Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year Journey.

Mannion was keen to join Latics and one of the Clubs directors fixed him up with a job in the area, to help until his dispute was settled and a deal between the clubs struck. That never happened and the transaction collapsed, leaving the question over returning the £1,500 to so many unknown donors. Consequently the cash was banked until the early 1950s, when it was handed over to a charity.

My great uncle put 5 schillings into this collection and never saw it back true story.

We paid for a stiker last season who will probably start tomorrow.

Also the Bosman rule was nearly 50 years away. You don't really need to spend a fee nowadays to sign players.

The inflation would render any fee we've dished out in recent seasons minute. There's a reason the teams who spend are generally at the top and those who don't are at the bottom.

Apathy reigns.

Or once bitten twice shy for many.

On a serious note how do they have the nerve to go cap in hand to long suffering fans when the lack of investment in all football related matters has effectively ceased, our budget for this season is reportedly £1.5 million, Southend United have a budget of £2 million for this season so work that one out.

Edited by yarddog73

Apathy reigns.

Or once bitten twice shy for many.

On a serious note how do they have the nerve to go cap in hand to long suffering fans when the lack of investment in all football related matters has effectively ceased, our budget for this season is reportedly £1.5 million, Southend United have a budget of £2 million for this season so work that one out.

We will struggle to reach a £1.5 million budget the way its going. Next season might be less.

Senor - I'm not miserable thanks very much, far from it but sometimes you just have to be realistic instead of accepting the crap we are being served up by the current regime, even if I took a break from Latics I would still watch local non league football at Chaddy or Curzon so what a break from football would achieve for me I'd be intrigued to know, thanks for your concern all the same.

Senor - I'm not miserable thanks very much, far from it but sometimes you just have to be realistic instead of accepting the crap we are being served up by the current regime, even if I took a break from Latics I would still watch local non league football at Chaddy or Curzon so what a break from football would achieve for me I'd be intrigued to know, thanks for your concern all the same.

Its not you he's concerened about. its the rest of us who have to read what you post :)

Next seasons playing budget may well be less which begs the question why we need a £6 million stand that's crippling us.

Would you have been happy with no stand ?

Would you have been happy with a Lookers that was deteriorating ?

Can you honestly say that you wouldn't have complained if the ground wasn't improved?

You complain that its a £6 million stand - what figure would you have wanted spending , if at all?​

Seriously, you need to take a brake from supporting this club or even football, no-one in life can be this miserable.

Talk about the kettle, I will post my opinions whether you like them or not.

in this case I pointed out a probable fact for which you didnt offer a constructive reply as to why it won't happen.

Edited by BP1960