Holloway & Main ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I'm really pleased about is that Shez is achieving success back at a club that he genuinely loves and one that loves in him return.

Also proves he can pick a player too; doesn't need to rely in big names and that he knows our league and those leagues below to strengthen our team.

Would love him to secure Palmer longer, Gerrard too and all the other additions into next season too. Secure League One football and bounce on next season

I think one thing Shez has proven is that some managers are simply better than others even for clubs with low budgets like Oldham...I was starting to get really dejected with the thought that we could only attract (or willing to pay for) first time managers that would either fail, or do well and jump at the first opportunity.

It shows how bad the choices the board have made have been since LJ left...

Shez has brought back hope and a sense of identity that has missing from the club for too long and will be invaluable regardless of what division we are in next year...

Ok - Who's better : Baxter or Palmer ?

Baxter is more talented.

Palmer is arguably more important to the team. He is very intelligent, puts Kelly to shame at times in the sense that he doesn't have to run around aimlessly to perform a similar job.

Both are the sort of player you could watch for 2 minutes and know they're gifted.

Think he has earned the right to have the Ooh chant.

Great player - second half started to actively watch to see how many times he gave the ball away. Almost never. And also mostly good progressive balls not safe side or backwards ones.

Would love to keep him. Depends on what division we and Burton are in next season.

If Burton up and we stay up....would be good.

Baxter is more talented.

Palmer is arguably more important to the team. He is very intelligent, puts Kelly to shame at times in the sense that he doesn't have to run around aimlessly to perform a similar job.

Both are the sort of player you could watch for 2 minutes and know they're gifted.

Palmer & Kelly dont perform similar jobs though. Kelly's work is helping Palmer get his foot on the ball and play.If you removed Kelly from the situation if would effect Palmer's play massively. Let's hope we don't see that this season.

He has quality & a a partnership they have shown signs of being at the wrong end of the table. Hopefully they get the chance to prive that for Latics in league 1 next season

Edited by palmer1

Ok - Who's better : Baxter or Palmer ?

The Baxter who played for us was better than Palmer.

The Baxter playing in a false number 9 role for Sheffield United who's been living on ketamine and kebabs for the past year isn't.

Think Palmer is a really good footballer, and one that whilst may not be as genuinely skillfull as a Jose, uses his ability to greater effect and has a bigger impact on the game.

Agree with the comment that you want Kelly/Jones next to him to help win the ball.

For me it's not a case of Kelly or Palmer. I think it's Winchester that is the potential player to have to sit on the bench.

Think Palmer is a really good footballer, and one that whilst may not be as genuinely skillfull as a Jose, uses his ability to greater effect and has a bigger impact on the game.

Agree with the comment that you want Kelly/Jones next to him to help win the ball.

For me it's not a case of Kelly or Palmer. I think it's Winchester that is the potential player to have to sit on the bench.

Palmer is more consistent than Baxter but won't score as many goals. Both good footballers though.

Palmer & Kelly dont perform similar jobs though. Kelly's work is helping Palmer get his foot on the ball and play.If you removed Kelly from the situation if would effect Palmer's play massively. Let's hope we don't see that this season.

He has quality & a a partnership they have shown signs of being at the wrong end of the table. Hopefully they get the chance to prive that for Latics in league 1 next season

It probably goes unnoticed how Palmer breaks up attacks because of the ease at which he does it, in contrast to Kelly's full-throttle approach...

Not sure if any of you saw the interview but Sheridan mentions how he put Winchester on the bench, one of his better performers from recent weeks because he felt a different approach was needed against Gillingham. I think he may opt for Winchester away from home, looks after the ball much better.