When we tried to sign him we were guaranteed a storm of negative PR. We were more or less guaranteed the loss of sponsors (which happened) and we were more or less guaranteed to pee off a reasonable number of fans who might have considered it the final straw for their support (which probably happened although I can't prove it).

Anyone who can't see those wider issues and therefore conclude that the club made an almighty mistake really shouldn't be let out on their own. The current situation is of no relevance whatsoever to those issues.

And that was before even factoring Barry "ashamed to be British" Owen into the equation.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But he was a free man who had served the time allocated for his alleged crime.

We should have signed him and as much as some on here hate to admit it, we could really :censored:ing do with him right about now.

Decent six months with us and he'd have been sold anyway.

The right decision was made as much as some on here hate to admit it.

But he was a free man who had served the time allocated for his alleged crime.

We should have signed him and as much as some on here hate to admit it, we could really :censored:ing do with him right about now.

A free man who was out on license and who was on the sex offenders' register for life and may have had in addition to that certain bail conditions that meant he would have been unable to play night games etc.

Being on the sex offenders register may well have barred him from a lot, if not all, the good local charity and community work the club does.

4 goals in 3 games doesn't make him a goal machine, either, I'm fairly certain we've had some right donkeys do that at this level, or even higher, down the years.

I would have my doubts that we didn't attempt to sign him after his conviction was "quashed", but Chesterfield offered him more money, or he didn't fancy coming to a club with no manager.

All this without factoring in the other circumstances that we had and no other club did- Lee Hughes and Montano for example.

A free man who was out on license and who was on the sex offenders' register for life and may have had in addition to that certain bail conditions that meant he would have been unable to play night games etc.

Being on the sex offenders register may well have barred him from a lot, if not all, the good local charity and community work the club does.

4 goals in 3 games doesn't make him a goal machine, either, I'm fairly certain we've had some right donkeys do that at this level, or even higher, down the years.

I would have my doubts that we didn't attempt to sign him after his conviction was "quashed", but Chesterfield offered him more money, or he didn't fancy coming to a club with no manager.

All this without factoring in the other circumstances that we had and no other club did- Lee Hughes and Montano for example.

who cares if he can or cannot do the charity work? I care about us scoring goals and winning games. I'd have 11 Hitlers in the side if it meant I could see some bloody success for the first time in 20 odd years.

We bottled it when we should have gone for it and caved to the pressure of thousands of feminists and do gooders who do not even follow football!

We'll see who finishes top scorer this season. I would put decent money on it being him.

who cares if he can or cannot do the charity work? I care about us scoring goals and winning games. I'd have 11 Hitlers in the side if it meant I could see some bloody success for the first time in 20 odd years.

I know what you said is an hyperbole, but do you really see your club as reducible to a name and a collection of results?

I'd ask this of any fan of any club who didn't see anything beyond success. No matter how deprived of entertainment Latics have been, there are more important things...

I know what you said is an hyperbole, but do you really see your club as reducible to a name and a collection of results?

I'd ask this of any fan of any club who didn't see anything beyond success. No matter how deprived of entertainment Latics have been, there are more important things...

Absolutely and those of us who can see the bigger picture here understand this. Evans can go and score 40 goals this season and Chesterfield can win promotion but it still doesn't change the fact that the attempt to sign him in January 2015 was one of the most brain dead decisions the club has ever made in 121 years.

Absolutely and those of us who can see the bigger picture here understand this. Evans can go and score 40 goals this season and Chesterfield can win promotion but it still doesn't change the fact that the attempt to sign him in January 2015 was one of the most brain dead decisions the club has ever made in 121 years.

Whether I agree with you or not, this is the kind of post that gets right on my tits. 'those of us of us who can see' suggesting you are far more clever due to having your point of view and therefore you have to be right . No it doesn't mean you're more clever or right, it means you hold that point of view only.

Now I bet that got on your tits too.

Whether I agree with you or not, this is the kind of post that gets right on my

tits. 'those of us of us who can see' suggesting you are far more clever due to having your point of view and therefore

you have to be right . No it doesn't mean you're more clever or right, it means you hold that point of view only.

There is a feeling, engendered by social media, that all opinions have equal validity. They don't

There is a feeling, engendered by social media, that all opinions have equal validity. They don't

Anyone is entitled to an opinion and therefore all are valid. Factual or not, which most aren't, an opinion is an opinion.

People saying we shouldn't have signed him is an opinion.

People saying we could have signed him is a fact.

My opinion is that we could and should have signed him. My opinion is just as valid and has just as much ground to it as ever :censored:er else's.

The whole debate brings out the best and worst in people and it has definitely tested many friendships and relationships and some fans would undoubtedly have boycotted games but if he was smashing them in for fun and firing us to promotion, that will have no doubt brought far, far more fans back. Works both ways.

Whether I agree with you or not, this is the kind of post that gets right on my tits. 'those of us of us who can see' suggesting you are far more clever due to having your point of view and therefore you have to be right . No it doesn't mean you're more clever or right, it means you hold that point of view only.

No it doesn't get on my tits.

All things considered it wasn't worth signing Ched Evans if we look at the bigger picture. And Oldham Athletic being successful on the pitch shouldn't be a case of win at all costs.

Anyone is entitled to an opinion and therefore all are valid. Factual or not, which most aren't, an opinion is an opinion.

People saying we shouldn't have signed him is an opinion.

People saying we could have signed him is a fact.

My opinion is that we could and should have signed him. My opinion is just as valid and has just as much ground to it as ever :censored:er else's.

The whole debate brings out the best and worst in people and it has definitely tested many friendships and relationships and some fans would undoubtedly have boycotted games but if he was smashing them in for fun and firing us to promotion, that will have no doubt brought far, far more fans back. Works both ways.

Hitler had an opinion.....

Just saying....

He's just saying that some people talk utter :censored:e. Which is true.

Then I guess the reply should have said that then, rather than the :censored:e about some opinions are more valid than others.

Is that the kind of :censored:e you are referring to Stevie?

This thread is, in itself one of the key reasons that we shouldn't have tried to sign him at the time we did. It was a devisive thing to do and almost a year on it is still causing divisions amongst a fan base that isn't big enough to become divided.

Well said.