• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But on the same score you're suggesting that those asking for patience are "accepting of mediocrity". I was hopeful things would go well yesterday but I'm hardly surprised they went the way they did. Doesn't mean I accept that as the norm, but we're at the very beginning so these players do need time. What I expect is more quality to be added and for things to improve over the course of the season. If not then I might start questioning the players brought in and the managers ability but after one competitive game? Ridiculous.

No I'm not.

I'll be as patient as most. Being patient doesn't mean I have to pretend to not be disapppointed at the fact we were poor and poor in ways I was surprised by.

If not then I might start questioning the players brought in and the managers ability but after one competitive game? Ridiculous.

Yes, it would be.

Edited by HarryBosch

Getting beat 3-0 in London on opening day against a team tipped for promotion while being watched by disgruntled fans...

I actually thought it was funny & it occurred today but I will make sure to PM all future thoughts to you before posting. Especially if you couldn't see the very obvious link & similarities between the 2 results.

QPR are about 10th favourites for promotion

On a side note, I had a bit of a chat with Brian Wilson as the squad got off at Stockport. He's apparently doing his coaching badges this year, but laughed when I asked him if he fancied being our manager in the future.

The two things that disappointed me most about Saturday.....

The total lack of fight and apparent effort from the players, everything was half arsed. I don't mind the lack of quality and the fact that they've only just met each other (thanks to our utterly incompetent Board) but I do think they could have individually looked bothered which would have been nice considering that's all they have to do each week to keep the average lower league fan reasonably happy!

The moronic Latics fans near us who were on Erwin's back after five minutes......so, five minutes into his Oldham career trying to feed off scraps he is being personally abused by his new teams supporters ? Brilliant!

The total lack of fight and apparent effort from the players, everything was half arsed. I don't mind the lack of quality and the fact that they've only just met each other (thanks to our utterly incompetent Board) but I do think they could have individually looked bothered which would have been nice considering that's all they have to do each week to keep the average lower league fan reasonably happy!

The moronic Latics fans near us who were on Erwin's back after five minutes......so, five minutes into his Oldham career trying to feed off scraps he is being personally abused by his new teams supporters ? Brilliant!

There will always be fans whose first instinct is to criticise what they perceive to be poor play. Every club has them. The guy behind me laying into Rekord because he went off early - obviously he was a 'coward' because he didn't fancy it. The fans moaning at Banks after ten minutes and so on.

Those of us who, whilst disappointed with a desperate performance, take the longer term view had two options at Millwall: politely ask the moron to calm down (like to see how that goes) or move out of earshot. I chose to move on two occasions on Saturday.

As for Erwin, feeding off scraps or not, he was poor. His first touch often let him down and he showed a distinct lack of belief in the penalty area. No need for personal abuse but a definite need for the boy to step up.

Those who are questioning the team and the players bought after 1 competitive game are judging far too early.

There is nothing wrong with the players brought in at the moment but we still lack numbers and quality in certain areas. The manager has knows this which is the most important thing, it's just depends on what he does about it this week.

Don't be thinking this reply is aimed directly at this post, I've just used it as an example of which there are many with the same tone I could have used.

I just don't get this acceptance of where the squad is. The season started on Saturday, not next month!! The squad/team should have been in place weeks ago with perhaps two or three signings during the season as a pep up.

I tell you something us Latics fans have been let down so much we'll accept anything these days

I think Mckay was having a go back at someone after the final whistle aswell....

Edited by HarryBosch

Don't be thinking this reply is aimed directly at this post, I've just used it as an example of which there are many with the same tone I could have used.

I just don't get this acceptance of where the squad is. The season started on Saturday, not next month!! The squad/team should have been in place weeks ago with perhaps two or three signings during the season as a pep up.

I tell you something us Latics fans have been let down so much we'll accept anything these days

I wont be accepting this-after 40 odd years support, Corney and Owen can count me out-I might go to some away matches but that is all-for the booze!

Edited by ChaddySmoker

The squad should be as good as fully assembled by now you are right. However, the management team came together around a month ago and have had to literally form an entire new squad of players who are still getting to know each other’s games. Sheridan came in last season and after plugging the obvious gap in our defence with Anthony Gerrard he got the rest of the squad playing many of whom had been at the club 18 months, and 12 months prior to that and were part of a squad challenging for the play offs that team just needed some tweeks, this one has been assembled from scratch.

The team and the management for now deserve patience, any grievances and criticisms should be directed at the board of directors for their actions or lack of in May and June.

Edited by GlossopLatic

The squad should be as good as fully assembled by now you are right. However, the management team came together around a month ago and have had to literally form an entire new squad of players who are still getting to know each other’s games. Sheridan came in last season and after plugging the obvious gap in our defence with Anthony Gerrard he got the rest of the squad playing many of whom had been at the club 18 months, and 12 months prior to that and were part of a squad challenging for the play offs that team just needed some tweeks, this one has been assembled from scratch.

The team and the management for now deserve patience, any grievances and criticisms should be directed at the board of directors for their actions or lack of in May and June.

But, despite all that, we can still discuss & debate the good and bad we see on the pitch game in, game out can't we?

Edited by HarryBosch

It was the lowlight of an otherwise great day. Spent the day having a good drink and chat with some great people, and had a slap up meat feast at Bodean's. Shame about the football. Oh, and some pikey nicked my Oyster card, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Who did you perceive I was blaming?

Well knowone, you weren't blaming anyone.

But going back to your point about Latics fans accepting the current squad most are prepared to give the manager sometime as he hasn't finished building it yet due to what he inherited a month ago.

Despite what some say overall we Latics fans are a pretty reasonable bunch. A comprehensive 3-0 defeat to one of the promotion favourites maybe tolerated at this point due to the circumstances however if it becomes the norm it won't be accepted by the fans and nor should it be.