Wigan Cup game

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought the tactics were wrong in the first half, Mantack pressing the full backs left that screaming 8 year old girl Perkins free down the wing, Fair play the management team spotted it and even though the plastics were down to 10 they still changed it at half time.

Really enjoyed last night and Fane is some player at this level, never gave the midfield a second. We look a big physical side as well something we haven't looked for some time. All round good team performance that, also nice to beat the plastics! Roll on Saturday!

Another thing to add.

Players put their bodies on the line last night when Wigan did threaten us. Throwing themselves in front of the ball.

Players looked to carry the ball forwards themselves more, instead of knocking it sideways.

We used the wings and if Wilson had a left foot we'd have had even more joy down that flank as he played well.

We were willing to tackle hard.

The passing, while not perfect, was a million miles better than at Millwall.

Improvements all over the pitch.

Maybe we're not quite as :censored: as I thought.

Yes.

Flynn's goal was the most refreshing thing for me - it's been noticeable for years that we rarely run at &/or through defences.

Keep that up and add a few longer range shots and we might score a lot more goals than we've become used to.

Took my grandson aged 7 to his first ever match, he really enjoyed it and concentrated the whole game - even shouting at one point at a Latics corner "Get someone on the back post"

I think we may have a future coach here.

I was getting a bit worried about my lad (6) constantly seeing us lose as he's got massively into watching football on TV with the Euro's and says he wants to watch loads of Premier League & Champions League on telly this season.

He's stopped mithering for my phone the last 2 or 3 he's been to and actually watches the game now. Last night he jumped up for both goals, fists clenched, massive beeming smile on his face.

On the way out someone said "see you Saturday" to me.

He asked "why did he say that dad? Are we playing again Saturday?"

"Yes"

"Can I come?"

:grin: :grin:

(I'll be on the piss like so he can't, but still........)

I was getting a bit worried about my lad (6) constantly seeing us lose as he's got massively into watching football on TV with the Euro's and says he wants to watch loads of Premier League & Champions League on telly this season.

He's stopped mithering for my phone the last 2 or 3 he's been to and actually watches the game now. Last night he jumped up for both goals, fists clenched, massive beeming smile on his face.

"Yes"

"Can I come?"

Best post I've read in years on here

Took my grandson aged 7 to his first ever match, he really enjoyed it and concentrated the whole game - even shouting at one point at a Latics corner "Get someone on the back post"

I think we may have a future coach here.

were you in the main stand, row C or so almost on the half way line? saw a young lad constantly holding up a scarf and getting really involved! .. great to see

were you in the main stand, row C or so almost on the half way line? saw a young lad constantly holding up a scarf and getting really involved! .. great to see

Yes that was him. His dad is a red though so we need a few more wins before the lad thinks we are as good as them.

"Yes"

"Can I come?"

Same with our 7yo after his first ever game, he asked who we play Saturday. The one big disappointment for him was they had run out of meat and potato pies at half time.

Burgess was pulled by Grigg just before the incident. If anything it should have been a free kick to us.

That's how I saw it Grigg knew he wasn't going to get to the ball so was smart in the way he tried to win it. Burgess will learn he needs to make certain of seeing a ball out against the better players.

Edited by palmer1

At first, I thought the red card was harsh. Then was told at HT that it had ripped his sock. Watching the replay, I think what makes people think one way or the other is that the tackling leg is very high as it approaches but on connection, it has come down a bit (to a more acceptable height for tackling). It's certainly more of a red than I thought it was originally. And just like Burgess was stupid risking giving a penalty away (but got away with it) their lad was stupid for giving the ref the option to walk him.