Swindon (h)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the first game I have watched this season. The first 10 minutes I thought we looked solid and set up OK however could instantly see why we haven't been scoring.

Too rigid, lacking creativity, too lumber some, too slow, lack of movement.

We effectively look like a team of 11 Gary Nevilles, I don't doubt they have a good mentality and attitude. Which is fine for the defence but the midfield is well under par. They just really lack any creative quality, unsurprisingly that's what costs you a bit more money at any level and we obviously have sacrificed that under Robinson. I don't even feel I can fairly judge the strikers as they had zero service.

If we don't swap some of the players like banks, klok, Croft for some decent quality in January we are in massive trouble.

Edited by Blue_Guru

First post here on OWTB after waiting months to get on! lol

Im a returning fan after 9 years out or working weekends and decided to take the plunge and get a season ticket for this season after being impressed by robinson and how quickly he built a team that has potential!

Yesterday was an extremely disappointing after watching us become a solid unit over the past few weeks, really only lacking understanding and the correct mix of players in the attacking positions.

Personally, i thought Robinson got the tactics and selection completely wrong and Swindon got it spot on with the formation, set up and tactics they played against us. It was quite clear early on that they were aiming to play as wide as possible stretching our narrow formation and taking our center midfield completely out of the game. Time and time again which even my 9 year old daughter was spotting, Swindons full backs and left wingers were doubling up on law and dunne keeping them pushed back and attaching them with freedom on either side with both of them receiving no support from either the midfielders or our RF and LF (croft and Erwin). When our midfielders did support the fullbacks and got pulled accross this then created holes in the middle of the park which swindon were quick to exploit quickly switching the ball back through the middle running at our defense.

This continually happened over and over again as our midfield was none existent with the passing being to slow or our players playing long balls to Erwin again which doesn't work. Erwin is a footballer and wants the ball to his feet and i felt his 110% efffort in the rest of the matches had caught up with him today needs a rest causing him to make mistakes and not be as sharp as previous weeks and our main threat.

I have not seen Robinsons match interview after the game but on anaylsis im sure he will see that we got it completely wrong both on selection and tactics used.

Hoping for a better set up tuesday and serious work in training on the midfield selection that will star the game. If we are going to play a 433 hybrid formation we will need our LF and RW to press the full backs back and track to allow a 3 man midfield to dominate the other team. Croft cant do this against younger and stronger opposition and unfortunately needs to be an impact sub when the opposing team are tired.

One of the worst aspects of yesterday was at 2-0 down and even with the subs on it looked like the manager and players had thrown in the towel. That attitude is the most concerning IMO.

We still had the same problem in having no width. Ladapo, Erwin and Osei have pace but they are strikers not wingers.

The team is similar to the one we had with Shez last season. Generally hard-working, usually relatively solid but not alot of quality with the exception of one or two. The main difference is we are lacking Palmer and Forte type players.

One who has quality on the ball and can pick a decent pass and someone who can stretch the game out wide and generally beat most full-backs with pace 1v1.

Winchester has the ability but his attitude and work-rate is holding him back. Flynn also but he seems to disappear during games.

Relying on McLaughlin or Jarhaldo-Martin for stretching the game. Jarhaldo-Martin has been injured so we don't know if he is able to do that. McLaughlin came in with a decent reputation but has played poor whilst not being match-fit.

The rest of the squad is pretty much a like for like.

Have Swindon a much bigger budget?, surely not, but every one of their players were so comfortable on and off the ball, moving for each other, finding space, neat little triangles of one touch football all over the pitch. Technically they were absolutely streets ahead of us and I thought they were going to score 4 or 5!!

Walsall were similar....do they have better players or is it down to the coaching?

To be fair to both clubs, they've both used that style of play for the last 3 or 4 years, win or lose and regardless of who the manager is. Fair play to the higher ups at the club who stick with that philosophy.

However Sheridan and even Dunn to a lesser extent showed last season that winning the ball high up the pitch nullifies Swindon's threat and forces them into mistakes. It worries me to hear that we sat back and let them play.

The honeymoon period is definitely over for Robinson. I thought yesterday could be the pivotal game that kick started our season, I hope for his sake it isn't a pivotal game because it'll mean we're only heading one way.

Guest nonaenever

I`ve had a fair bit of stick recently on here for my recent, mild criticism of the manager and his tactics etc. and certain players.

Having watched football for many years, I`ve seen enough now to know that Robinson (unless he has a "Damascus" moment and changes very rapidly) will produce the most boring brand of football ever seen at Boundary Park (and that is really saying something). It's truly awful.

I`ve said it from day one; Erwin and McKay will never score the goals we need - I`m sick of hearing what a good player Erwin is - he's not, he's average, just average! McKay is poor.

I`m bored :censored:less and can't believe that I am actually considering giving my season ticket away - for the first time ever, I feel like I don't actually want to go and watch Latics any more.

They were and I will give you that but any fan of League 1 football knows you can't allow Swindon the room to play it around, which we did.

Yes. If we'd played like we did first half at Bradford - pressing , not giving oppo time on the ball then we'd have got on top early. We obviously are capable of a pressing game but ....

Sorry if I've got the wrong 'angry about Swindon' thread and I've missed the reply, but I'd be keen to hear who this interested consortium is too. Be great to know how much they were offering and how much Corney was asking for.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if I've got the wrong 'angry about Swindon' thread and I've missed the reply, but I'd be keen to hear who this interested consortium is too. Be great to know how much they were offering and how much Corney was asking for.

Thanks in advance.

Don't be expecting any answers from the guesser, he's just a pricktease...

Thanks in advance.

You won't be told who or how much because nobody knows. ChaddySmoker will probably tell you he can't say who but they weren't offering as much as that greedy bastard wants.