Scunthorpe (h)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scunny started with bags of confidence and we had trouble getting out of our half but when the battering we were getting didn't produce a goal their intensity dropped and we slowly got into the game.

The foul on Flynn looked as much a penalty as the stumble by Bishop didn't.

My man of the match Dummigan was too hot to handle and put in a lovely cross which I think made them realise this is not going to be as easy as we thought. The guy sitting behind me went to get the drinks and we were rewarded with great work and that strike on target with pace by Ladapo. With the team buzzing Erwin scores the second with another great strike on target with pace. He needs to buy more drinks!

Second half Ripley was given catching practice and our defending was as impressive as the goals with the whole team working as a unit.

Without doubt that was a magnificent performance against a form team who looked every part top of the league for the first 20 minutes. Scunny were well beaten.

As good as the partnership between Bambi and Dummigan was a professional footballer of his age and experience should be able to last more than sixty minutes. The club needs to find out what is wrong with him and hopefully put it right.

Scunny started with bags of confidence and we had trouble getting out of our half but when the battering we were getting didn't produce a goal their intensity dropped and we slowly got into the game.

The foul on Flynn looked as much a penalty as the stumble by Bishop didn't.

My man of the match Dummigan was too hot to handle and put in a lovely cross which I think made them realise this is not going to be as easy as we thought. The guy sitting behind me went to get the drinks and we were rewarded with great work and that strike on target with pace by Ladapo. With the team buzzing Erwin scores the second with another great strike on target with pace. He needs to buy more drinks!

Second half Ripley was given catching practice and our defending was as impressive as the goals with the whole team working as a unit.

Without doubt that was a magnificent performance against a form team who looked every part top of the league for the first 20 minutes. Scunny were well beaten.

As good as the partnership between Bambi and Dummigan was a professional footballer of his age and experience should be able to last more than sixty minutes. The club needs to find out what is wrong with him and hopefully put it right.

Is that the same bambi that lasted 90mins on Saturday?

Last night could well have been a knock rather than fitness, these things we don't always know!

Edited by super_blue

It's weak picking out Winchester like that, how many games has he had since he came back? But not only that he wasn't brought off because he couldn't continue it was tactically a smart move to freshen us up, give me a good hour to seventy minutes of that Carl Winchester over most of the midfield performances I've seen this season from others, he was immense last night and could do no more other that connect with that Dummigan cross early on, wrong time to single him out I'm afraid.

Think some need to accept that not all people share the same capacity for endurance as others, in the same way you wouldn't bemoan Anthony Gerrard for being slow.

If somebody gets subbed when knackered after putting in a shift for 70 minutes I don't see the problem. He's obviously put a big effort in behind the scenes to get back into the side. The cig's won't have helped, like, but maybe that's his limit.

Edited by NewBlue

For a young lad, I'm happy with Burgess and his progression (although not sure what he was doing at Bolton for their 2nd goal.) But overall, his game has improved. People say he doesn't head a ball but he headed it clear more than Clarke last night.

I was most impressed with Reckord and Erwin last night. Both were outstanding. Reckord was getting targeted in that 2nd half and stopped everything coming at him. I've been critical of him as I thought he's been very poor but last night he was excellent.

Erwin covered every blade too. Both he and Dummigan were getting down the wings, causing problems and putting in some tidy crosses. Winchester was busy and battled harder than I ever seen him in the middle. Reminded me of Matty Palmer last season. But as he does, Winny ran out of puff in the 2nd half. Flynn had been frustrating me for an hour for not getting close to anyone in possession but his last 30 minutes were incredible. Defensively and on the break.

The goals we so well taken. Ladapo had every one fooled with his drag back. Nearly everyone I spoke to at HT wanted the ball laid off...instead, his move sent the defender one way and opened up the gap to fire home. Smart stuff! With Erwin, I also thought his extra touch had lost the opportunity to score but what a tidy finish. We simply must supply that ball to Erwin to feet in the box as last night he showed what he can do.

Must admit, for the first 15 minutes I was very worried. For the first 10, we didn't touch the ball in their half once. Got booted upfield and just kept coming back. Once we settled and played it out, we slowly played our way into the game. If you forget the first 15 minutes, it was an all round performance. The fact Scunny came to play rather than sit in and defend and catch us on the counter played right into our hands. Helped us to find more space than we have in some of the games at home this season. I wouldn't say it was pretty (there are one or two over-egging it a little) but I couldn't care less...3pts is 3pts. And there were the odd fleeting moments of well worked moves to open up Scunny. Just a crying shame only 2,900 were there to see it.

Football isn't hard. For the first goal, in 5 seconds and 3 passes, we'd covered 60+ yards, and got the ball to our striker on the edge of the box. Fane - Winch - Flynn - Freddie. So many times this season, Fane would have gone backwards or sideways, they'd have regrouped, and we'd be left with Clarke lumping it up to Mckay to win against some 6ft 4 monster.

Great win last night after the no show at Bolton, lets hope we don't do an "Oldham" and lose Saturday. Onwards and upwards chuffed for the two strikers scoring good goals. Great team performance matched by the singing from the Athletico's and crowd both superb throughout. :OASISscarf:

Both he and Dummigan were getting down the wings, causing problems and putting in some tidy crosses.

Probably the first time in quite a few years we've had wing-backs who can consistently cross the ball well, maybe since Mills was on loan...

Should allow Flynn and Winchester, who aren't naturally wingers, to get inside and playmake, while allowing Green and Fane to run it in midfield without having to carry as much of a creative burden.

We simply must supply that ball to Erwin to feet in the box as last night he showed what he can do.

I agree with the rest of you're post but this bit is the most crucial thing we learned from our strikers last night. They are not natural back to goal target men both Erwin and Ladapo got the ball to feet last night when they do they are capable of turning a defender getting a yard and getting shots away.

It's remarkable how much better any strikers are when you give them the right kind of service.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Probably the first time in quite a few years we've had wing-backs who can consistently cross the ball well, maybe since Mills was on loan...

Should allow Flynn and Winchester, who aren't naturally wingers, to get inside and playmake, while allowing Green and Fane to run it in midfield without having to carry as much of a creative burden.

Agreed. Was impressed with how Winchester and Flynn cut inside on Saturday and linked up on the edge of the box. With energetic full backs like Dummigan and Reckord bombing on as well it should really improve our attacking threat.

From official website

Here are a selection of images from last night’s 2-0 victory over Graham Alexander.

A win is a win, but I don't think we should really be getting carried away by beating 1 45 year old person 2-0.

No wonder Ripley had sod all to do!

Flynn had been frustrating me for an hour for not getting close to anyone in possession but his last 30 minutes were incredible. Defensively and on the break.

Didnt he set the first goal up though? Cant have done that badly. People cry out for someone who can unlock a defense, or a creative player. Flynn does that, and on another day would have had 2 goals aswell. Green and Fane do the donkey work, leave Flynn to ghost in the space. Thats the way I see it anyway

Didnt he set the first goal up though? Cant have done that badly. People cry out for someone who can unlock a defense, or a creative player. Flynn does that, and on another day would have had 2 goals aswell. Green and Fane do the donkey work, leave Flynn to ghost in the space. Thats the way I see it anyway

Flynn plays a simple ball into Ladapo. Not quite splitting the defence but yeah, it's an assist I suppose. It's Ladapo's footwork that creates that goal. It was more a case of Flynn being miles off a man when they had the ball. As I say, he improved massively as the game went on.

Flynn plays a simple ball into Ladapo. Not quite splitting the defence but yeah, it's an assist I suppose. It's Ladapo's footwork that creates that goal. It was more a case of Flynn being miles off a man when they had the ball. As I say, he improved massively as the game went on.

I agree Ladapo did well once he received it, but that interlink in midfield of Green/Fane/Winchester/Flynn definitely worked for the goal. Watched the extended highlights an Flynn stand out by a country mile. Fane looks all over the show, but does some surprisingly good stuff alongside mostly horrendous stuff. Flynn for me is most dangerous when he is allowed to drift around and do his thing. He isn't in that team to break the play down. Pressing, yes maybe, but Green and Fane are there to win the ball and close it down.

If he has 2/3 goalscoring chances a game, and also sets up a goal with 'a simple pass' whilst playing under par, then I will take that all day

Anybody see Clarke and their beardy sub going at it after the final whistle? Clarke giving him the all mouth gesture with his hand then turning him round to look at his name and number. Beardy left the pitch sharpish after that.

Aye, it was Kevin van Veen. Highly rated, but Clarke was giving it the 'who are ya again?'