Scunthorpe (h)

Good performance outstanding defending and 2 goals at exactly the right time.....however let us not over react to a win in the same way that many over reacted to Saturday's defeat

The league this season is quite remarkable...Bolton Bradford Sheffield and probably Scunthorpe are going to be top 6 and Shrewsbury are going to get relegated. Every single one of the other 19 including us might be in top 6 or bottom 4.

Really significant in this league is how crucial the first goal in games is

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flynn was absolutely goosed by the end, ran himself into the ground.

Superb performances all over the pitch, two good goals and attacking full backs.

Had the horrible feeling we'd make a pigs ear of it whenever they went forward, but realistically and in hindsight they didn't have much of a sniff at all.

Well done, Latics.

One of those wins is akin to winning a behind closed doors reserve game though, given the competition it's in. 3 out of 4 might sound better, but you could just as easy spin it for what it is, the 3rd league win in two months, and our first home win of the season.

Taking the checkatrade aside

You can look at like this we've played 3 games including 2 of the top 3 and 2 have been away from home so coming out of them with 6 out of 9 points is very good

A win Saturday then it's 3 out of 4 and 9 points out of 12. Things then start really looking up going into el flat cappico a win there infront of over 2000 tics and it's E I E I E I O time.

It's all about building momentum you win one and then the next one starts looking that bit easier.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Some people need to wind their necks in with their arrogant negativity. 3 wins out of 4.

By what definition is the negativity in any way arrogant? That probably sums up your mentality rather than theirs.

I along with others have been critical of what the owner has put us through over the summer but am absolutely delighted with a win.

It was totally unexpected and the attendance was truly awful even at half price but sums up the disconnection that some feel.

Anyway well done and hopefully same again on Saturday.

Didn't see that performance coming,every player grew into the game until Scunthorpe couldn't cope with us. Roll on Saturday, it's a long time since I looked forward to the next match as much.

I think that's a really good point. We hardly got a kick for the first 20 minutes and their keeper didn't touch it until the eleventh. They pressed us passed the ball quickly to team mates and looked really impressive. We couldn't hold the ball resorted to hoofing it and were chasing the ball when not in possession. However we did some last ditch defending and although they had two or three shots blocked in the box they didn't have a clear chance and Ripley didn't have to make a proper save. We then got into it and seemed to pick up after the pen that wasn't given. I thought we were flattered to go in two up but they were really well taken goals. Second half we dominated, were in complete control and they didn't have a sniff. I think I might have to reread that.

Everyone played well although burgess can't make a decent headed clearance . Erwin was outstanding. Ran his bollocks off scored a sublime goal and made tackles by each of our own corner flags in the second half.

Scunny had to resort to lots of moaning, hoofing it and one awful tackle on green late on. A very pleasant evening!

The difference tonight for me was the we got more men forward and moved the ball around so much quicker than in every other home game.

Played some good stuff and it was actually very entertaining. A complete turnaround from the previous 2 home games. Long may it continue.

By what definition is the negativity in any way arrogant? That probably sums up your mentality rather than theirs.

I along with others have been critical of what the owner has put us through over the summer but am absolutely delighted with a win.

It was totally unexpected and the attendance was truly awful even at half price but sums up the disconnection that some feel.

Anyway well done and hopefully same again on Saturday.

I'll let Saturday look after itself I just enjoyed tonight!

First time in a lomg time MOM could be one of a number ofbplayers..

Dummigan

Winch

Erwin

Flynn

Reckord

Personally i'd go for burgess tonight. Thought he was solid throughout looked better in the air and less hoof. Couldn't deny any of the above the honour

Guest nonaenever

The attendance tonight (against the top of the table team) tells you how very bad we have been this season. Truly appalling turnout in view of the free ticket offer too - but I can't blame anyone - it has been dire.

However, that was a good performance tonight - not brilliant like some are making out - but genuinely good. Have no idea what to make of it though - one swallow doesn't make a summer - but I genuinely hope for a flock of swallows.

Having been one to voice my displeasure at recent events, credit where credits due tonight, to a man we were fantastic. I'm glad I took up the offer and very much looking forward to Saturday. For me Erwin ran himself in to the ground and Reckfords commitment to the cause was great to see. Cracking effort roll on Saturday!

Edited by chickenbaltipie

Finally grew a pair tonight and looked comfortable throughout.

Confidence increased with time and by the 30 min mark I thought that we were just about turning the screw.

After Freddie's emphatic finish we didn't look back.

Lee's industrious second right on half time gave us the breathing space we needed second half and we kept them at arms length.

Everyone did their job well tonight and we were unlucky not to make it 3.

A sub 3K crowd tonight reacted as if there was 5k there and we go into Saturday's game V Bristol Rovers with renewed optimism.

Erwin was outstanding. Ran his bollocks off scored a sublime goal and made tackles by each of our own corner flags in the second half.

I think that had the scoreline been different in many games this season, Erwin would've been talked about consistently in this way.

His performances have generally been underrated so far and only because we've lost has his effort not been picked out.

Edited by NewBlue

Benchmark has been set, if they can show the same levels of hunger and desire week in week out we may be alright.

I must admit that after twenty minutes last night I was a little worried, Clarke whose been a constant had skewed a few and we were struggling to get into the game, for me it changed when Winchester chased down a couple of lost causes, put their defence under pressure and it seemed to galvanise the team, from then on in we played like the team four points clear at the top, we were unlucky not to get more to be fair and Scunthorpe resorted to trying to kick our players off the park in frustration.

[quote name="nonaenever" post="874033" timestamp="1476833976table team)

However, that was a good performance tonight - not brilliant like some are making out - but genuinely good. Have no idea what to make of it though - one swallow doesn't make a summer - but I genuinely hope for a flock of swallows.

Hang on. What happened to after 40 years gave my season ticket to a family member sad sad day etc ? Blah blah blah

Edit- just read that you bit off your nose to spite your face in another thread. Fair play to you. Your post is valid lol

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

As well as everybody played last night the big difference was the tactics.

For the first time this season we got men in their box , every time we attacked we had options on both sides and down the middle.

Also we left players up at their set pieces which meant that when it was cleared out it stayed out and didn't come straight back.

It was a performance the fans have been crying out for a long long time.

Even had we lost i would still have enjoyed an excellent game at BP for the first time in many years.

Scunthorpe helped in the way they play which allows you to play yourself's , i think Bristol will be the same on Saturday as they play a similar game.

The trick is now to keep it going , any teams that leave BP in future must go away knowing that they have had to work their whatnots off to get a result instead of the usual "easiest 3 points this season"

Well done Latics and keep it up !!!!!!!!!!!