Bristol Rovers (h)

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We take far too long to get the ball forward into dangerous areas so the opposition have been able to get organised. We need to be much more direct, and not take 10 passes when 3 or 4 will do.

True...but the problem is, the team is as slow as :censored:. Half the time we end up overplaying it coz there isn't anybody to fire the ball into. Either that or because the first touch on a lot of them is dog:censored:. By the time they've controlled the ball, there's a man on them so have to pass it off straight away. Hot potato syndrome. Attributes of sub-standard players.

Edited by boundaryblue80

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't we ask for more movement from the midfielders?

Erwin isn't really a penalty box striker he's more a link player like a Baxter so he will do his best work outside the box. Flynn has been prepared to go beyond the strikers. I'd like to see Fane trying to get into the box more often. He's 6'3 other teams won't like seeing him attack crosses.

Nonsense. People are falling for this...it's just not true. The games I've been impressed with Erwin can be counted on 2 fingers. I agree that he tries and runs about a lot and is basically doing a job he shouldn't be so it isn't his fault, But he's just not a link player at all and is one of many reasons why we are suffering. We need him in the box. Ball being played into feet for him to finish them. He too also needs to gamble more...there was a chance in the 2nd half he was guilty of not gambling on. But look at the rare goals he has scored...ball at his feet, tucked away nicely. Unless we can figure out (if Robbo even sees this problem needs solving???) how to get him in those positions more often, he will struggle to break into double figures for the season and we will most likely go down off the back of that!

Edited by boundaryblue80

We haven't needed a cup run this much since the last one...

The last of the better recent times (Liverpool, Everton, less looking like relegation certs) ended when Donny beat us in the Cup. We'd just beaten Dale and then that happened against Donny. We then got spanked at home vs Yeovil and away at MK Scum. The Ched Evans sage began. It's been utterly :censored:ing :censored: at the club ever since (bar Shez's miracle last season.) Fingers crossed we beat Donny, win through round 2 and the circle of this :censored: is complete...coffers boosted. I'm certain it would make a massive difference to not have to go to a dodgy scouse loan company for a borrow!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Clarke could stride forward from defence a bit more too and start attacks...

The coaching manuals must say that defenders only defend. When was the last time we stuck a centre half up front to cause havoc, since Joe Royle. Stick Burgess up front if we are losing and let their defenders wonder what to do with him. I would prefer it o be Clark, but I couldn't trust Burgess on his own at the back.

Pretty sure we beat Donny in the early rounds of both our 'recent' runs, i.e. 2007 and 2013.

You're right but not sure what that's got to do with my post. Last time we played them in the cup was the start of the current really really :censored: times:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30256710

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think we are caught between two styles at present.

We haven't the size or pace (that is starting games) to play a direct game based around hitting a target and playing off his feet.

Equally we haven't got the quality to retain and progress the ball when we do have it from deep.

Against Bolton, they were happy to give us the short pass in our defensive third because they were absolutely confident they would win it off Fane in particular when we tried to move the ball into our midfield.

Flynn is frequently the only one of our midfield in the few games I have seen who even attempts to move the ball between the lines. So much of the rest of our possession slides left and right aimlessly, all of which gives limited opposition like Bristol Rovers the chance to reset defensively.

In credit to Robinson, I can see what he is trying to do in trying to retain and control the ball. Unfortunately at present we are suspect defensively, limited in midfield and the only goals we are going to score subsequently come from individual quality or set plays. Neither of which we have in abundance.

Based on Saturday, Mclaughlin (not sure of spelling) must start next week. He brought an outlet and pace to the side lacking in the opening 50 odd minutes. If you balance that on the left with Flynn, keep Green and Fane holding and release Winchester to play as a 10 behind either Erwin or Ladapo, then hopefully you have a chance to move the ball through midfield.

IMHO, Flynn, Winchester and Mclaughlin should be capable of both getting alongside and beyond a front man, or attempting to play them in through the channels.

I don't see any version of 4 in midfield that sees us either lightweight or incredibly narrow.

We make life difficult for ourselves by setting out each game to create the perfect goal. For every winner against Gillingham there are 4 games we draw a blank. Pace and adventure are required...

We haven't the size or pace (that is starting games) to play a direct game based around hitting a target and playing off his feet.

Equally we haven't got the quality to retain and progress the ball when we do have it from deep.

Against Bolton, they were happy to give us the short pass in our defensive third because they were absolutely confident they would win it off Fane in particular when we tried to move the ball into our midfield.

Flynn is frequently the only one of our midfield in the few games I have seen who even attempts to move the ball between the lines. So much of the rest of our possession slides left and right aimlessly, all of which gives limited opposition like Bristol Rovers the chance to reset defensively.

In credit to Robinson, I can see what he is trying to do in trying to retain and control the ball. Unfortunately at present we are suspect defensively, limited in midfield and the only goals we are going to score subsequently come from individual quality or set plays. Neither of which we have in abundance.

Based on Saturday, Mclaughlin (not sure of spelling) must start next week. He brought an outlet and pace to the side lacking in the opening 50 odd minutes. If you balance that on the left with Flynn, keep Green and Fane holding and release Winchester to play as a 10 behind either Erwin or Ladapo, then hopefully you have a chance to move the ball through midfield.

IMHO, Flynn, Winchester and Mclaughlin should be capable of both getting alongside and beyond a front man, or attempting to play them in through the channels.

I don't see any version of 4 in midfield that sees us either lightweight or incredibly narrow.

We make life difficult for ourselves by setting out each game to create the perfect goal. For every winner against Gillingham there are 4 games we draw a blank. Pace and adventure are required...

I think you are just about spot on

Wouldn't agree that we are 'suspect defensively', we are suspect against set plays however currently.

It is not intended specifically as a criticism of individuals. Clarke and Ripley are certainly amongst the better players in the team.

We do however get very exposed on the counter in wide areas IMHO. Frequently this happens because as we are so slow to move the ball through midfield our full backs have to play very high to overlap and extend the width.

When we lose the ball we are wide open, particularly as neither Clarke or Burgess are comfortable when pulled wider into the channels.

We also seem to be very suspect to straight balls that we allow to bounce between our centre backs. Communication looks an issue to me.

We don't concede that many goals because we are often pretty unadventurous in midfield, or are behind in games where the opposition are comfortable and confident to sit in against us. Ripley (despite recent mistakes) is also clearly a factor in our defensive record as well...

Best post I've read on here in a while

Why aren't the Bolton players tired? it's their third game in 9 days, including 2 local derby's and a trip to Millwall, yet they all still look full of running?

Because they've paid the ref to get soft penalties?

Or they're just fitter?

Some people think that all footballers are somehow capable of the same levels of physical fitness. They're obviously not. We have a prime example. actually, we might have several prime examples.

Why aren't the Bolton players tired? it's their third game in 9 days, including 2 local derby's and a trip to Millwall, yet they all still look full of running?

They probably are !! There just a miles better team than us. What do you want the manager to say ? Should he say we are :censored:e and we are :censored:e because I was stupid enough to take this poisonous job. A job where pretty much every manager that has taken (with a squad of players to boot )it in recent to not so recent years has struggled like :censored: ! It won't make a blind bit of difference who our manager is in the current climate working under these conditions. If ever a manager deserved time ....... Just saying ! Edited by simplythemostimportantkick