Who out of this team...

If giving the ball away is an award at the end of season dinner Green has won it already, I've never seen a pro footballer hit as many stray passes to the opposition as Green did last month and I include Connor Brown in that, after a really bright start Green has gone right off the boil for me and is lucky to still be starting games.

You've probably gone a bit overboard but he can be appalling at passing the ball. At Bolton he was shocking at passing it away.

• 7 years later...
On 10/30/2016 at 12:56 AM, mcfluff1985 said:

2 reasons.

1. Burgess can't defend for :censored: so can't have Clarke leaving him alone

2. Burgess can't head a ball or pass a ball so no point to having him up front

🤣

On 10/30/2016 at 12:56 AM, mcfluff1985 said:

2 reasons.

1. Burgess can't defend for :censored: so can't have Clarke leaving him alone

2. Burgess can't head a ball or pass a ball so no point to having him up front

13 hours ago, GKing521 said:

🤣

Says more about @GKing521 than it does about @mcfluff1985. Christ on skates.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

This thread reminds me how many people used to get Cameron Dummigan and Jamie Reckord's names wrong.

Shivers...  It would be a competitive contest but I'd put Reckord's performance vs linco9ln in the FA Cup as right up there as one of the worst I've ever seen

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Shivers...  It would be a competitive contest but I'd put Reckord's performance vs linco9ln in the FA Cup as right up there as one of the worst I've ever seen

Couldn’t believe what I watched that day. 

Can't say I remember much about Burgess' time here.  I'd assume in the absence of any other evidence that he's made significant progress since then.  Hardly unusual for(then) young player to do so 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't say I remember much about Burgess' time here.  I'd assume in the absence of any other evidence that he's made significant progress since then.  Hardly unusual for(then) young player to do so 

My memory of him is an early season fixture in the FL Trophy when he partnered ironically Edmondson at centrehalf against Carlisle at home, Burgess was hands down Carlisles best player even scoring an own goal in a 5-4 defeat in which we came back and should of won but lost to the ten men Carlisle with a late Charlie Wyke winner, if I remember correctly Burgess remained in he team and Edmondson was made a bit of a scapegoat and promptly shipped out on loan to Alfreton and didn't play for us again for quite a few month.

Both have done very well and it probably demonstrates why it's unfair to write youngsters off particularly goalkeepers and defenders who develop both physically and mentally with age. Remember when Tarky used to get pelters and you had some 'judges' on here claiming we'd done well to get 300k out of Brentford. He's not done too shabby for a player with no pace.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

My memory of him is an early season fixture in the FL Trophy when he partnered ironically Edmondson at centrehalf against Carlisle at home, Burgess was hands down Carlisles best player even scoring an own goal in a 5-4 defeat in which we came back and should of won but lost to the ten men Carlisle with a late Charlie Wyke winner, if I remember correctly Burgess remained in he team and Edmondson was made a bit of a scapegoat and promptly shipped out on loan to Alfreton and didn't play for us again for quite a few month.

Both have done very well and it probably demonstrates why it's unfair to write youngsters off particularly goalkeepers and defenders who develop both physically and mentally with age. Remember when Tarky used to get pelters and you had some 'judges' on here claiming we'd done well to get 300k out of Brentford. He's not done too shabby for a player with no pace.

Lordy, people claimed that was a good deal; from Brentford?    I mentioned Reckord vs Lincoln as possibly the worst individual performance I'd ever seen.  For its level I'd put Tarky's game v Preston live on telly up there with the best.

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

True, In young players I often look at what they could be - not in the here and now. I saw that in Burgess, who admittedly struggled while here. I'd put big centre forwards in that bracket too who can fill out in their frame later and become stronger in dealing with experienced defenders.

Also a lot depends on the character of the player, I can see what they do on the pitch, but not what goes on inside their heads.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:31 PM, philliggi said:

Would you want to re sign, knowing what you know now?

For me we are clearly not good enough as a team. But that isn't to say we don't have quality players. Only 4 or 5 players are good enough though.

Connor Ripley is easily the best young keeper we have had in a long while. He is superb and made two world class saves today. Motmby a country mile today.

Peter clarke is a stalwart at this level. He is this year what gerrard gave us last year. Passionate to the last whistle and the altercation at the end with a fan and his face afterwards prove it

Burgess is young enough and good enough to go on and have a career at a higher level. Works exceptionally well with clarke.

Dummigan again like Burgess is young and frankly too good for this oldham team. Works really well with whoever plays right wing.

Special mention to Ryan mclaughlin who for me is the only lad who can cross a ball at the club. However I've not seen enough of him to make a proper judgement.

Now the rest....

Sunday league stuff. They just ain't good enough.

Reckford was well out of his depth against Andrew today. Virtually the whole midfield has been bypassed the last 2 games. Fane has shown glimpses but the rest are relegation fodder. As for the front lot, couldnt score in a brothel, no hold up play, can't meet a cross and frankly they are clueless.

We have some good players, but for me they are few and far between. I feel.for Robinson as he is working hands tied, but this team is going down.

if l could afford it just Fondop and Gardner. but l understand if we do not. lf l could sell any of the contracted ones it would be Shelton. not too arsed about Ward Nuttall maybe Hogan but would give them a chance.

Hudson Norman Kitching Sutton Hobson Raglan Sutton Lundstrum Hammon Conlon Willoughby Reid Norwood Garner Moore

is a mega base lmo

we need at least four first team players

a RB

a dominate CDM the best version of Daz Shez we can find

Two wingers

then we need backup LB and RB

if they then can not be around the top of the table all season we can be concerned by November

l'm pretty pleased and confident. lookin forward to winninng the Euro's.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Thought Tarky went for £450,000 and was then bought by Burnley for £5m 

Ofcourse, we'd sold the sell on clause 

22 hours ago, GKing521 said:

🤣

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Says more about @GKing521 than it does about @mcfluff1985. Christ on skates.

He's a strange individual. Burgess was gash for us 8 years ago

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yep. Burgess was awful. Piss poor when he was here

On 5/1/2024 at 8:15 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

Thought Tarky went for £450,000 and was then bought by Burnley for £5m 

Ofcourse, we'd sold the sell on clause 

I'm sure Brentford got a £500,000 add on when he played for England too. All in all, terrific business from Latics