Oxford

It was all a bit ifs, buts and maybes for me. We weren't very good, but neither were Oxford; they just managed to hold the ball up better and found their own players more often than we did.

But, although the referee was on another planet, he didn't do us any favours. That two footed lunge from behind on McLaughlin in the early stages of the game could, and maybe should, have been a red. If that had been the case, it would have been a different game.

I counted at least half a dozen blatant shoves in the back by an Oxford defender that went unpunished. Similar offences committed by a Latics player instantly drew a free kick.

Rose tinted specs? Maybe, but a lot of decisions were one sided. I was talking to someone connected to Latics after the game and he said that Oxford fans love the ref because he is known as a "homer".

How a two handed shove in the chest to lay a player on his back doesn't attract a red card is beyond me. Weak refereeing and, at 10 a side, we may have stood a chance.

If Green had made the perfect pass when we broke on the right, it just may have resulted in our second goal.

If action had been taken when Mckay got clumped on the back of his head, maybe things would have been difference.

If SR had seen that Fane was a walking red card, as we all did, maybe he'd have done something about it. It was almost as if the ref was itching to give him a second yellow.

If Ripley hadn't have been on top form, we'd have been slaughtered by a team that was only marginally better than us.

I honestly think we'll get out of this mess, but so much depends on the January window and whether SR can get this bunch playing like a half decent team. I have my doubts that he can, but I don't see the benefit in changing him now, so I'll keep my faith in him that he'll scrape through. Just.

And a final word about Oxford's fans. They only got excited in the second half when they were attacking their own end and did they have to boo repeatedly every time a Latics player hit the deck? One of their stewards summed them up when we were chatting to him before the game. He said, "It's a lovely City [Oxford], but the fans are a right horrible lot".

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is comfortably the worst Oldham squad we've had in my lifetime. There's no money and nothing's gonna happen in January. We used to have two or three players who were better than the worst players in any given opposition. Now we have Ripley, who's probably the best keeper in the division, but no one else.

Because of the lack of ability, our lads probably work 20% harder than the opposition. We didn't manage to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds throughought the second half yesterday, which means we did an awful lot of chasing. Fane got sent off yesterday not because he was naive, but because he wasn't good enough to get into that tackle when he needed to. We're not good enough at the game at this level and the referees tend to penalise us for it.

We can slag the players off all day for their lack of ability, but from the state of some of them at the end yesterday you can't fault their commitment and energy.

We should've been well beaten yesterday and weren't. We should get well beaten every week by everyone but it's not happening.

My take on it is yes, this squad shouldn't be good enough to stay up. They're the underdogs every game they play. But if they can manage to pull it off and stay up, I'll be more proud of this OAFC team than any other.

This is comfortably the worst Oldham squad we've had in my lifetime. There's no money and nothing's gonna happen in January. We used to have two or three players who were better than the worst players in any given opposition. Now we have Ripley, who's probably the best keeper in the division, but no one else.

Because of the lack of ability, our lads probably work 20% harder than the opposition. We didn't manage to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds throughought the second half yesterday, which means we did an awful lot of chasing. Fane got sent off yesterday not because he was naive, but because he wasn't good enough to get into that tackle when he needed to. We're not good enough at the game at this level and the referees tend to penalise us for it.

We can slag the players off all day for their lack of ability, but from the state of some of them at the end yesterday you can't fault their commitment and energy.

We should've been well beaten yesterday and weren't. We should get well beaten every week by everyone but it's not happening.

My take on it is yes, this squad shouldn't be good enough to stay up. They're the underdogs every game they play. But if they can manage to pull it off and stay up, I'll be more proud of this OAFC team than any other.

Depends on whether they can keep up with the energy and commitment, especially at home. They had it at start of the season but then it has practically disappeared bar the odd game here and there.

Rose tinted specs? Maybe, but a lot of decisions were one sided. I was talking to someone connected to Latics after the game and he said that Oxford fans love the ref because he is known as a "homer".

Has he reffed at our place and if so what was the verdict then?

While the referee lost the plot and gave a million decisions against us, it looked a stonewall penalty for them in the dying embers (yet to see highlights..).

Echo the general gist of the thread - total commitment yesterday but complete lack of quality from us apart from in goal.

What was Robbo's tactics for the second-half yesterday? Launch it to the hapless Erwin and then what? Did their 'keeper even touch the ball after Fane went off? Alright we were down to ten, but there was no one backing Erwin up so even if he did win the ball (which he didn't) there was no plan to keep it after that and so it just came straight back into our box.

We invited pressure onto ourselves which just seems such a hard way of doing things.

I'm guessing Green is one of our top earners, but I've yet to see anything to suggest he's worth it. Their goal came after he gave the ball away when it was two on one in our favour on the right wing and he pretty much gave the ball to the Oxford player attempting to send our player away.

Depends on whether they can keep up with the energy and commitment, especially at home. They had it at start of the season but then it has practically disappeared bar the odd game here and there.

Fair enough. I haven't been to any home games. I give them the benefit of the doubt for the simple reason that they're fighting against the odds and their own lack of skills. And they can't always rely on getting paid for doing so.

Soft foul where the ref played an advantage.

It's on those highlights.

If you take out the ridiculous roll from the Oxford player, the second yellow is soft too.

He committed three fouls all game.

Exactly. Fane doesn't help himself but the ref shows no common sense looks at their lad cheating on the floor and listens to the crowd. Edited by welshgaz

How did we play in the first half with McKay up front on his own?

Nothing sticks.... between McKay, Erwin and Ladopo they couldn't hold up a bank with a sawn off shotgun. McKay was busy but had nothing to work off and shouldn't ever be the 1 in a 4-5-1. There is a chance he could be useful with a Curtis Main or Aaron Holloway type alongside him.... but any combo from the 3 we have are useless.

Nothing sticks.... between McKay, Erwin and Ladopo they couldn't hold up a bank with a sawn off shotgun. McKay was busy but had nothing to work off and shouldn't ever be the 1 in a 4-5-1. There is a chance he could be useful with a Curtis Main or Aaron Holloway type alongside him.... but any combo from the 3 we have are useless.

Or a Rhead?

Erwin was puffed out after 15 minutes...of chasing the ball across the field to no great effect. To be fair, some of the passes allegedly to him involved him taking a run from one touchline to the other.

Every game for these players is a massive ordeal...along the lines of a walk over hot coals or a ride on the ducking stool.