Two new forwards or a new manager?

Two new forwards or a new manager?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather we sacked (& paid off) Robbo or signed him 2 players with that money who might make or score goals?

• New manager
    • New forwards
    • Robbo out AND new players in

Let's assume the cost of two new players would be similar to the cost of paying SR off (humour me).....

Would you prefer we got rid on the basis a new man might get this side scoring or would you rather Robbo was allowed to sign two new strikers or a striker and a creative midfielder/decent winger?

Or do you just want Robbo out regardless? i.e. - he's the problem, not the players. On the assumption a new manager would be allowed to make signings as they always are...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the budget he has to work with. He scraped the barrel with this lot. Give him a half decent budget and I'd hazard a guess 3 quarters of them wouldn't have been with us now.

I've always said any manager would struggle in our position with the poultry budget and the lack of concern and care shown from the board. Until the ownership situation is sorted out we are only heading one way

Dickov never learnt the goals lesson cos we always scraped enough to have a mildly respectable tally, whereas Robinson has been thoroughly embarrassed by our paltry efforts. I hope that has taught him a lesson and we won't see such inhibited play again.

Even if we get a new manager we need players. It might not work like this in reality but I'd rather we saved the money for better new players because I don't think anybody is a guaranteed saviour, in the same way Shez was such an obvious choice last season.

Let's assume the cost of two new players would be similar to the cost of paying SR off (humour me).....

Would you prefer we got rid on the basis a new man might get this side scoring or would you rather Robbo was allowed to sign two new strikers or a striker and a creative midfielder/decent winger?

Or do you just want Robbo out regardless? i.e. - he's the problem, not the players. On the assumption a new manager would be allowed to make signings as they always are...

Good question.

A big risk whichever way you look at it.

Trouble is, last time we played well, v Scunny it lasted 1 game.

Most of these lot willb e out in the summer so the revolving door starts.

And a new manager will have less funds and gambles like the current crop.

Probably stability is and evolution is need.

2 strikers for me. Probably.

Edited by singe

The fault here is the lack of quality amongst the players (Clarke excepted). Wenger wouldn't be able to get this squad firing. It had to be assembled in a matter of days late in the day and we are keen to blame the manager? I would prefer to stick with the manager and spend what meagre funds or salaries are available on getting him some better players to work with.

The judge how good he is when he at least something to work with (as all the other managers in this division do)?

New forwards.

We've been chopping and changing the manager for over a decade and we've found ourselves sliding towards league two. I'm sick of the manager always being the one to carry the burden and ultimately the consequences. Footballers have no responsibility, it's always the managers fault they can't be arsed, or they misplace pass after pass or miss sitters or fail to mark on set pieces. These are all basics that our players have failed at year after year almost regardless of the man on charge. The problem is players, lack of continuity and lack of a clear plan. Robbo might be making some mistakes, but his squad is bloody awful, something he was forced into by circumstances. Give the man a bit of slack on the wage budget, allow him to get rid of the spineless crap out on the pitch and persevere with a manager. We may well be in league two next year but that is coming anyway with our short term approach and quick fire attitude to managers. Greatest failing of our owners has been the hire and fire policy and contract strategy on the playing side.

The problem is the budget he has to work with. He scraped the barrel with this lot. Give him a half decent budget and I'd hazard a guess 3 quarters of them wouldn't have been with us now.

I've always said any manager would struggle in our position with the poultry budget and the lack of concern and care shown from the board. Until the ownership situation is sorted out we are only heading one way

Are you accusing them of fowl play due to the poultry budget?

A new manager would be the first thing on my list.

I'm openly pro-Shez although I can understand why people wouldn't want him back. However it isn't just about getting two goalscorers in, it's about getting two forwards in who will allow the rest of the team to improve whether they score or not, plus a manager who can get the most out of them.

Compare the impact of Holloway and Main (players on the bench of a league 2 team and an league 1 relegation rival) to the impact of Ladapo and Mckay (from Prem and Champ teams respectively) and that goes a long way to explaining why I'd trust someone else with our January budget than Robbo.

A new manager would be the first thing on my list.

I'm openly pro-Shez although I can understand why people wouldn't want him back. However it isn't just about getting two goalscorers in, it's about getting two forwards in who will allow the rest of the team to improve whether they score or not, plus a manager who can get the most out of them.

Compare the impact of Holloway and Main (players on the bench of a league 2 team and an league 1 relegation rival) to the impact of Ladapo and Mckay (from Prem and Champ teams respectively) and that goes a long way to explaining why I'd trust someone else with our January budget than Robbo.

You reckon Main and Holloway would cost us the same wage as Ladapo and McKay?

Robinson got 4 weeks to stick a squad together, quickly realised they werent the best attacking team and has ultimately played defensively as that is our strongest part of the squad. He has managed to stumble through to January only 3 points adrift of getting out of relegation zone and now that he has a chance to improve and change the squad, we are under an embargo. Feel genuinely sorry for the man, as I think he has been dealt a bum hand and has had to bluff his way through it.

If we sack him, we end up with a new manager in 2 weeks who has 1 week to change this turd squad into a fighting team.

My only irk with Robbo is that when you are down in a scrap you dont need player like Green, Ladapo, Banks and Flynn who are cowards, who he seems to be reliant upon.

You reckon Main and Holloway would cost us the same wage as Ladapo and McKay?

If you're talking about their wages when we signed them then I'd reckon that Mckay would be on the highest wage by a fair distance. The most experienced and has a longer history at a higher level, also Wigan would have put him on a fair wage when they signed him.

Ladapo and Holloway would be at the lower end as both have spent most of their careers in lower/non-league with Main somewhere in between.

Robinson got 4 weeks to stick a squad together, quickly realised they werent the best attacking team and has ultimately played defensively as that is our strongest part of the squad. He has managed to stumble through to January only 3 points adrift of getting out of relegation zone and now that he has a chance to improve and change the squad, we are under an embargo. Feel genuinely sorry for the man, as I think he has been dealt a bum hand and has had to bluff his way through it.

If we sack him, we end up with a new manager in 2 weeks who has 1 week to change this turd squad into a fighting team.

My only irk with Robbo is that when you are down in a scrap you dont need player like Green, Ladapo, Banks and Flynn who are cowards, who he seems to be reliant upon.

Agree with the premise of the post but I reckon the idea he 'quickly realised they werent the best attacking team and has ultimately played defensively' is wrong.

He definitely rated his forwards when he signed them, and then Flynn, McLaughlin and Banks were his men to unlock defences. It doesn't really fit with his narrative that we create a lot but just don't put them away. We had some extra money to sign Dummigan when we probably didn't need him. If he thought we were lacking in attack he should've signed a forward thinking player.

He has got cowards but who else was he gonna pick?

Edited by NewBlue