Anthony Gerrard

4 hours ago, leeslover said:

Of course, precedent doesn't apply in employment tribunals (despite what Rudemedic will tell you). Not at all sure how the minimum two years employment works out for someone on a 3 year contract though 

Well no, precedent wouldn't apply from employment tribunals. Anything from an Employment Appeals Tribunal to the Supreme Court would give precedent though. 

You won't find many lawyers suggesting you go to tribunal if an employment tribunal has ruled against someone in a very similar case though. 

Edited by rudemedic

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

was this aimed at me... I think that I clearly state I don't think he is a good player.  My point was that even if he was he would still deserve criticism for being a pillock.

No way was a personal attack on you. I was just trying to back up your point. Maybe I was not that clear so if you took offence I apologise 

8 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Well no precedent wouldn't apply from employment tribunals. Anything from an Employment Appeals Tribunal to the Supreme Court would give precedent though. 

You won't find many lawyers suggesting you go to tribunal if an employment tribunal has ruled against someone in a very similar case though. 

Wouldn't - or would?

16 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Well no precedent wouldn't apply from employment tribunals. Anything from an Employment Appeals Tribunal to the Supreme Court would give precedent though. 

Because of the maximum payout £83.5k (and simialrly proportional back in time), you can count the number of players going to tribunal on one hand. Accordingly no precedent really exists.

13 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

Absolutely love the thought that we have a clear policy on something. Feels somewhat unlikely.

Other than in the post room. "If any envelopes from HMRC arrive, they go straight in the bin."

10 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

Absolutely love the thought that we have a clear policy on something. Feels somewhat unlikely.

Suspect all the players signed contracts and I'm pretty certain their behaviour when representing the club would of been covered in the small print.

I suspect many people in the real world have lost their jobs for calling their boss a clown or abusing their customers on social media so don't see why a footballer would be treated any different. 

12 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Other than in the post room. "If any envelopes from HMRC arrive, they go straight in the bin."

Or as one of my ex bosses said when disposing  of a letter without opening it.. "Dont worry, I'll deal with the reminder"?

Got a relative who works in the OEC and can confirm that there is a 2004 OAFC social media policy that they must adhere to. Can say Gerrard definitely fell foul of these rules. Presume Byrne’s suspension is in regards to his behaviour on the training ground rather than tweeting three emojis...

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I would imagine paying off his contract rather than a "settlement". Speculation, of course, because I know precisely nowt.

Really can’t see Abdallah paying out. He would’ve kept Gerrard on the books and offered him out on loan seeing which club would be prepared to pay the highest % of his wages.

Edited by Ryan

25 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Why? What do you know? Other than nothing and you are just having yet another pop at the club?  

Only the same as you having a pop at the lad.

These tweets were so bad nobody can remember how offended they were.

Edited by deyres42

20 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Where does this come from?

I don't get why folks turn against players so quickly when he was a decent enough player for us. His off field activities regarding twitter are of no interest to me at all but seem to be to other posters. The links from the Huddersfield board are just the same as on here-some see him as the footballer, some see him as the villain for his off field activity.

That's not defending him at all costs its a bit of objectivity.

Thanks for the reply. We'll have to disagree about his qualities as a player - it seemed to me he got plaudits for doing the absolute basics I'd expect from a chunky centreback and was generally poor.

That aside, I think we're all guilty at one time or another about being willing to overlook some less attractive off field behaviour for the same of having a good player on books. Absolutely not wanting to go over them again, but Lee Hughes, Chef Evans etc, and many more who we've known weren't angels. I'm coming more to the view that it isn't worth it, and in fact I'd pick character over ability in a close race in my work life.

However, when a player who isn't all that carries on as if he's an exceptional talent that should be able to do as he pleases, he can fuck off. I should say that as much as the Twitter stuff is unprofessional, the real life stuff is more serious IMO, and it's not internet gossip.

8 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Thanks for the reply. We'll have to disagree about his qualities as a player - it seemed to me he got plaudits for doing the absolute basics I'd expect from a chunky centreback and was generally poor.

That aside, I think we're all guilty at one time or another about being willing to overlook some less attractive off field behaviour for the same of having a good player on books. Absolutely not wanting to go over them again, but Lee Hughes, Chef Evans etc, and many more who we've known weren't angels. I'm coming more to the view that it isn't worth it, and in fact I'd pick character over ability in a close race in my work life.

However, when a player who isn't all that carries on as if he's an exceptional talent that should be able to do as he pleases, he can fuck off. I should say that as much as the Twitter stuff is unprofessional, the real life stuff is more serious IMO, and it's not internet gossip.

Did you grass him up?