Club statement

I think the second one means the rumours on fan sites have been plagiarised by journos. Rather than fans being the plagiarisers. May be wrong.

I know the club gets hammered for lack of statements but after this maybe that's a good thing!

A dignified silence when official Chinese invites appear on Twitter and it's common knowledge they were in the directors box in front of 7,000 fans many taking up the free offer.

You have to laugh.

What's to to hide I keep asking myself.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dignified silence when official Chinese invites appear on Twitter and it's common knowledge they were in the directors box in front of 7,000 fans many taking up the free offer.

You have to laugh.

What's to to hide I keep asking myself.

News is only news when it is news BP.

I think there have been times when there has been an eagerness from Chambers and Keegan to jump on a negative story.

On here/Twitter a rumour from someone 'in the know' turns into accepted fact very quickly.

But the Chinese potential investment wasn't a negative story was it?

I think Matt Chambers sums it up well with his recent tweets. The club - perhaps unsurprisingly - have bloopered with that statement.

With regard to negative coverage - the coverage in the Chronicle is 98 per cent positive. Almost embarrassingly so - but it's understandable as the local paper won't want to fall out with the local club. I recall Corney having a pop at Chambers recently that was clearly wrong and out of line. I wonder if he apologised - for what could have been damaging to Chambers reputation?

As regards to Mike Keegan - I don't think he's been particularly negative. If someone is holding a mirror up to the club and they don't like what they see sometimes that's the club's problem.

I think the club need a reality check when it comes to media coverage.

In summary the club seem to have the hump about the reporting of a couple of things (Scholes & Lee/Chu) that they made little, if any, effort to keep quiet....

Bizarre...

None of which necessarily means the people who are calling Keegan a :censored: - not me, I wouldn't do that - aren't also right....

Edited by HarryBosch

With regard to negative coverage - the coverage in the Chronicle is 98 per cent positive. Almost embarrassingly so - but it's understandable as the local paper won't want to fall out with the local club.

As it should be.

I'd imagine a large number of their no doubt dwindling sales are to people wanting to read OAFC news.

The more people who watch Latics , the more people buy the Chron

But the Chinese potential investment wasn't a negative story was it?

No but perhaps there was an element of people getting ahead of themselves.

Yes. And making Scholes look like we're making a mug of him and/or were making a mug of Lee & Chu by possibly exaggerating his involvement with the club (which may well have been the case but SC wouldn't have wanted them to know that).

He's then flowered it up with accusing them of being Reds...

I think the second one means the rumours on fan sites have been plagiarised by journos. Rather than fans being the plagiarisers. May be wrong.

I know the club gets hammered for lack of statements but after this maybe that's a good thing!

So basically we are all as bad as each other.

Not surprising really to latch on to a ray of hope after umpteen years in the doldrums.

Indeed. Quite laughable that some of those saying about people being positive and getting ahead of themselves (or merely discussing speculation over possible interest) are the same sort who jump on anyone being slightly critical of the club/team/manager (often when fully warranted) and peddle them as doom doom doom. Snakes.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I can't post tweets on this PC but perhaps someone who can, can post some of Matt Chambers recent tweets on here.

He is clearly supporting Keegan on this one. Says he doesn't know what the club's issue with the article is and that the emotive statement reflects badly on the club.

On that statement, how it usually works is that those unhappy with a particular story make a call and talk through their differences. #oafc

‏@Matt_Chambers_

I'm still none the wiser as to what the issue is with the Mail story, not least what is "irresponsible" about it. #oafc

To deal with it by issuing an emotive statement (the first three pars in particular) doesn't reflect well on the club. #oafc

In Hardy's day he'd have just banned them for a couple of weeks out of spite and they'd have got back in line.

I've few fond memories of my time there, but watching poor old Bugby stand in the rain because Alan was grumpy at him was quite comical. It all ended a few days later, everyone calmed down and got on with it... no need for a press release to tell people!

In Hardy's day he'd have just banned them for a couple of weeks out of spite and they'd have got back in line.

I've few fond memories of my time there, but watching poor old Bugby stand in the rain because Alan was grumpy at him was quite comical. It all ended a few days later, everyone calmed down and got on with it... no need for a press release to tell people!

No one messed with the Chron reporter of the 60s/70s Jim Williams, he called a spade a spade.

The best ever reporter for me.

Edited by BP1960

Nando's

Costa Coffee

BaconButtyGate....

Do a disproportionate number of our drama's have a food & drink element or is it like this at all clubs?

I wasn't there, but I'm reliably informed from an impeccable :sauce: that SC was in Burger King at Mansfield and talked to Latics supporters for about 20 minutes before the game.

Indeed. Quite laughable that some of those saying about people being positive and getting ahead of themselves (or merely discussing speculation over possible interest) are the same sort who jump on anyone being slightly critical of the club/team/manager (often when fully warranted) and peddle them as doom doom doom. Snakes.

I said people were getting ahead of themselves but I certainly don't consider myself a snake. I think some got awfully carried away in something that is, in all likelihood, a very long way from being consummated into real investment in the club. Of course, I understand the desperation for that translating to some overexcitement; I was just pointing out that it may very well not turn into anything real.

I think there was one person getting ahead of themselves over all this kerfuffle and it's probably the same one throwing his toys out the pram.

Smacks of looking for a scapegoat.

Are they still on board or not? until we hear from the club speculation good or bad will always be rife.