Club statement

I'm under no illusion that buying a season ticket gives me any right to receiving any information from the club other than details of the home matches.

But if you are a club, or a Government managing Brexit, and you say so little about anything else the vacuum will be filled. The Daily Mail article put 2 and 2 together and made 4 - a very reasonable 4 from the published facts apart from the two guests being Utd Scum. That last was the only insult I can see.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corney announces "important visitors" are in town to a bloke he's meeting with and knows posts on here.

Corney takes said visitors to Nandos, a public chicken emporium, where they meet an employee who loves the club and posts on here.

Corney names them on a visitor sheet within OEC premises which is tweeted by an OEC employee.

Scholes did work with the club and was photographed doing it.

Journo produces an article that builds on this information and speculates accordingly.

I'm struggling to see what Mike Keegan has done wrong.

This is pretty much on the money.

Guest nonaenever

That was hardly a press release and only fueled speculation IMO.

Sorry BP - how can you say that!!!

The ONLY reason I posted what I did was because YOU had already let the cat out of the bag regarding the mention on Twitter of the Chinese chaps being with SC in Nando's. Rather than let speculation run rife, I merely confirmed that the Chairman was indeed with 2 important Chinese visitors. I`d known that for a while but had the sense to maintain confidence on the subject because, to be honest, it's got nothing to do with me/us. As someone else has said elsewhere - we live in a world full of "instant no news" and "speculation" - usually so wide of the mark it's unbelievable. Business deals can be ruined by such internet nonsense, you know.

SC and others are working very hard to try and sell the club to a decent buyer. All 6 fans who met them came away with an appreciation of how genuine and hard working they are. They could quite easily have taken their money and ran - and you would now be obliged to travel to another town to watch Latics. Does that not make you have faith in them? They have busted several myths instantly during the recent meeting - but people will never be happy until they get "their truth" chapter and verse.

Personally, I`m going to leave them to get on with what they are doing. I just wish everyone else would.

Rant over - I`m off out for a beer.

I've been watching this club since before 1960 and a season ticket holder for many years.(probably costing me a small fortune) I've seen far more downs than ups and was as delighted as anyone to read you confirmed someone elses tweet that the club had met up with Chinese visitors.

Their presence in the directors box on a free admission match offer and the reported from many sources of them wearing Latics scarves lead me to (and I'm sure many others) to believe a potential investment was under dicussion.

If this event was to be kept 'low key'

a better job should have been done rather than naming the Chinese visitors for pre match meals shouldn't it?

It was that more than anything which fueled speculation as otherwise we wouldn't have known who they were.

There's also the Daily Mail article, are you blaming me for that too?

Journalists pick up tweets too you know and investigate in the interests of a story. This would have come out anyway.

All in all I have said on here you have done a good job on the fans behalf.

You have to admit after years in the doldrums any hope of a club buy out will be quickly latched onto by fans and the media.

At the end of the day I hope the club can find a suitable buyer. The club obviously can't continue forever as it is.

Sorry but BP's absolutely right. If the club wanted it kept low key, they should have made an effort to :censored:ing keep it low key but every :censored:er knew about it before the final whistle had gone on Tuesday. Before Keegan's story had gone out.

I suspect Corney will be fairly satisfied at fans pointing the finger at other fans or at journalists, if and when the investment isn't forthcoming.

Sorry but BP's absolutely right. If the club wanted it kept low key, they should have made an effort to :censored:ing keep it low key but every :censored:er knew about it before the final whistle had gone on Tuesday. Before Keegan's story had gone out.

I suspect Corney will be fairly satisfied at fans pointing the finger at other fans or at journalists, if and when the investment isn't forthcoming.

Years of Corney playing billy big balls at Costa and Nando's.

He can't be complaining when it comes out. Idiot.

Another one has been sweet talked by Corney and co and thrown the towel in. Awesome.

Maybe if some of the dissenters had got from behind their keyboards and had the bottle to turn up to the meeting this wouldn't have happened. Or maybe some people don't like the truth as it doesn't fit with their agenda.

From my seat in the upper reaches of the main stand, I clearly saw 2 oriental looking gentleman be decked out in Latics merchandise. One turn to the other and I lip read say " who the :censored: are Man United" and the other replied "Scum". There you have it. At that point I saw a smallish ginger fella get up and walk out. I hope that clears things up some what.

Edited by Lags

From my seat in the upper reaches of the main stand, I clearly saw 2 oriental looking gentleman be decked out in Latics merchandise. One turn to the other and I lip read say " who the :censored: are Man United" and the other replied "Scum". There you have it. At that point I saw a smallish ginger fella get up and walk out. I hope that clears things up some what.

:OASISscarf::laught30:

Guest nonaenever

I've been watching this club since before 1960 and a season ticket holder for many years.(probably costing me a small fortune) I've seen far more downs than ups and was as delighted as anyone to read you confirmed someone elses tweet that the club had met up with Chinese visitors.

Their presence in the directors box on a free admission match offer and the reported from many sources of them wearing Latics scarves lead me to (and I'm sure many others) to believe a potential investment was under dicussion.

If this event was to be kept 'low key'

a better job should have been done rather than naming the Chinese visitors for pre match meals shouldn't it?

It was that more than anything which fueled speculation as otherwise we wouldn't have known who they were.

There's also the Daily Mail article, are you blaming me for that too?

Journalists pick up tweets too you know and investigate in the interests of a story. This would have come out anyway.

All in all I have said on here you have done a good job on the fans behalf.

You have to admit after years in the doldrums any hope of a club buy out will be quickly latched onto by fans and the media.

At the end of the day I hope the club can find a suitable buyer. The club obviously can't continue forever as it is.

BP - I think you completely missed my point. You posted on OWTB that I had fuelled speculation by mentioning (​2.57pm) on another thread that the Chairman had told me he had 2 important Chinese visitors coming to the game. The only reason I posted that was to bring some sense to your post on that thread prior (at 2.34pm ​) ​when you posted a link to Twitter quoting 2 Chinese men had been seen in Nando's with SC.

As far as I can see, you were the first person to post anything about the Chinese visitors on OWTB. No doubt speculation and rumour would have arisen from that posting, so I just clarified that it was an official visit (because your Twitter link was already saying, was it bull:censored: etc.).

So, I hadn't fuelled speculation at all - YOU had.

My personal integrity matters to me and I don't do "rumour-mongering". For example, when I first saw your post, my immediate thought was "Oh :censored:, we're meeting the Chairman in a couple of hours and he's already mentioned to me about the 2 Chinese people coming (and therefore may have to postpone at short notice); he's going to think I`ve let the cat out of the bag re. the Chinese via social media" (which, of course, I hadn't).

"Trust" is an important factor in any relationship and I would like to think that the Chairman trusts the fans who attended the meeting to conduct themselves properly, professionally and to exercise discretion when it's needed. You seem to constantly want to know the ins and outs of everything and do delight in your twitter links. That's rumour-mongering and I don't want any part of it. It's only the fact that you accused me (incorrectly) of fuelling speculation that riled me.

You've been a Latics fan a long time and are entitled to your opinion but please just be careful about how you portray others - particularly when it's not true.

BP - I think you completely missed my point. You posted on OWTB that I had fuelled speculation by mentioning (​2.57pm) on another thread that the Chairman had told me he had 2 important Chinese visitors coming to the game. The only reason I posted that was to bring some sense to your post on that thread prior (at 2.34pm ​) ​when you posted a link to Twitter quoting 2 Chinese men had been seen in Nando's with SC.

As far as I can see, you were the first person to post anything about the Chinese visitors on OWTB. No doubt speculation and rumour would have arisen from that posting, so I just clarified that it was an official visit (because your Twitter link was already saying, was it bull:censored: etc.).

So, I hadn't fuelled speculation at all - YOU had.

My personal integrity matters to me and I don't do "rumour-mongering". For example, when I first saw your post, my immediate thought was "Oh :censored:, we're meeting the Chairman in a couple of hours and he's already mentioned to me about the 2 Chinese people coming (and therefore may have to postpone at short notice); he's going to think I`ve let the cat out of the bag re. the Chinese via social media" (which, of course, I hadn't).

"Trust" is an important factor in any relationship and I would like to think that the Chairman trusts the fans who attended the meeting to conduct themselves properly, professionally and to exercise discretion when it's needed. You seem to constantly want to know the ins and outs of everything and do delight in your twitter links. That's rumour-mongering and I don't want any part of it. It's only the fact that you accused me (incorrectly) of fuelling speculation that riled me.

You've been a Latics fan a long time and are entitled to your opinion but please just be careful about how you portray others - particularly when it's not true.

Blaming me when you confirmed a rumour of Chinese representation really takes the biscuit.

If it was top secret the club certainly made a poor effort at concealing it - don't you agree?

By the way, on another thread today someone has posted speculation of a Chinese stake in the club, no doubt you will be giving them a piece of your mind too for fuelling speculation?

I don't doubt you are a sincere person, but please stop this personal attack on me.

Incidentally, there's no need for bold lettering when making your point.

Edited by BP1960

Guest nonaenever

By the way, on another thread today someone has posted speculation of a Chinese stake in the club, no doubt you will be giving them a piece of your mind too for fuelling speculation?

No - simply because they didn't say I had fuelled the fire - you did - we are both grown men, so let's leave it there eh.

Nobody let the cat out of the bag this has been ongoing for a while. The biggest leak in the club is one whingeing about it in statements. It was the worst kept secret given that Corney himself stated that he'd been to china several times its obvious that's the avenue they're going down for additional investment. Maybe not the same guys, but different Chinese groups have been guests at BP going back to the birth of the new stand in march 2014 vs Brentford. (Read through past threads it'll all be there)

BP1960 has offered nothing that we didn't already know and if Corney had no intention of letting the cat out of the bag don't take them to Nando's across road from the ground. Same as you don't offer the job to your new manager in :censored:ing Costa...

Edited by oafcprozac

Guest nonaenever

prozac - hear what you're saying but rumour-mongering is unproductive. Yes, everyone knows he's been seeking possible Chinese investors but why do some people see it necessary to put out via the internet and message boards that someone has been seen having a meal with 2 Chinese men? I`m sure we will be told as and when anything concrete has happened.

Personally, I`ve learned a lesson. Having at least established some kind of trust and link between some fans and the Chairman, it would be great for that to be built upon. However, it certainly won't be me posting any further meeting notes etc. on here. It's an impossible task in many respects. A prime example is the clamour to know (from the meeting on 24th) how much the club is for sale for, lock, stock and barrel. Does anyone really think that was an appropriate question to be asking, knowing full well the club may be involved in sensitive negotiations around that very subject that day and beyond?

Can you imagine our credibility with the Chairman if we had asked it? It just was not the right time.

There's been another comment around self-selected representatives at the meeting. Quite unbelievable. This goes back weeks and weeks and anyone has been welcome to attend and meet him. I have no idea why they didn't but it's clear some fans have got a huge chip on their shoulder and will believe any conspiracy theory going instead of at least trying to get to the truth.

So, I`ll keep in touch with those who want to continue and try to build bridges but no more reporting on here.

There's been another comment around self-selected representatives at the meeting. Quite unbelievable. This goes back weeks and weeks and anyone has been welcome to attend and meet him. I have no idea why they didn't but it's clear some fans have got a huge chip on their shoulder and will believe any conspiracy theory going instead of at least trying to get to the truth.

So, I`ll keep in touch with those who want to continue and try to build bridges but no more reporting on here.

Wouldn't even let morons like that bother you. Not worth the steam off your piss