Club statement

This line tickled me:

We sincerely hope that the newspaper involved issues a formal retraction and apology.

Yeah, because national newspapers - especially the Daily Mail - have a great track record in apologising for things without being forced to do so through legal action.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we have more wild speculation about who was pissed off and how this article by Keegan as harmed the club. Would it not be more prudent to state in the hissy fit exactly how and who?

Job done, no need for denials of false and inaccurate stories plucked from us dumb mothers :censored:ers on here.

At least Keegan put his name to the piece, who wrote the clubs statement after office hours and did they have SCs permission is what I'm wondering?

Edited by BP1960

Everything points to Scholes being the one who is narked for whatever reason.

I agree.

The whole article is based around Scholes, who posed publicly. He should not be upset, he works in the game.

It was Brendy Gleckin who innocently shared the photo.

I hope that that in the fall out from Scholes tant, he is not so childish to withdraw the help he has been giving the kids.

Keegan just joined the dots that were out there, that we all had,

I don't particularly blame the club for deflecting blame, unfair :censored: would have come their way, they could not have done much more to put on a show for the potential investors.

I just wish the statement and PR would have been so much better, it could have been turned into a positive and actually encourage more interest in investment if done correctly.

Edited by singe

I agree.

The whole article is based around Scholes, who posed publicly. He should not be upset, he works in the game.

It was Brendy Gleckin who innocently shared the photo.

I hope that that in the fall out from Scholes tant, he is not so childish to withdraw the help he has been giving the kids.

Keegan just joined the dots that were out there, that we all had,

I don't particularly blame the club for deflecting blame, unfair :censored: would have come their way.

I just wish the statement and PR would have been so much better, it could have been turned into a positive and actually encourage more interest in investment if done correctly.

Totally agree with the last paragraph...Unfortunately Anything "Latics" And "Done correctly" are at opposite ends of the universe.

The sad thing is, all of this is just so consistent with the way the club is run. Investment isn't really the answer because the same plums would be running the show. The only real answer is for a takeover, but again sadly this isn't going to happen anytime soon because of the same problem, Corney and his clowns. No wonder Moisley has spoken to 100's of investors and nobody has bitten. It's because there is so much wrong with the club and the people who are currently in power. Corney would struggle to give the club away, but given the fact he wants millions we've not a chance of being saved.

Come on BP, if that wasn't written by Simon directly it was certainly with his blessing.

You would think so, although on some occasions in the past I have my doubts if you know what I mean.

Edited by BP1960

Indeed.

I guess they are just fed up with the drip drip of negative stories, which admittedly they do bring on themselves most of the time.

How was the initial story negative?

The statement comes across as snotty, from a club who have no real right to have that point of view

Embarrassing hysteria from Corney

Our media guys have obviously been to the Donald Trump school of press relations, it will be 3.00 AM Tweets next

Lyin' Mike! BAD REPORTING. Lock Him Up! Failing Daily Mail Low ratings! Very unfair! Complete Hit Job. Really Bad! #MakeOldhamGreatAgain

As mentioned by others, having read the statement again, it does appear to have a dual purpose of apologising to Scholes for having been used and by pointing out inaccuracies setting up the journalist on what he might be looking into and writing about in the future.

If we were only to rely on the club to provide us with information we would know very little and that little with whatever spin or bias they put on it. Stupid!

I have just been reading the statement again and I am still astounded at the way it is written ....the following two points especially !

1) "We often struggle to understand much of what is speculated about"

How about the unwillingness of the club for years to provide the fans with clear information which results in speculation.. :huh:

2) "Preferring to maintain a dignified silence in the face of sub standard and often plagiarised rumours from unofficial fan sites"

So take note all you falsifying pirates on this site you have been warned :busted:

I can't post tweets on this PC but perhaps someone who can, can post some of Matt Chambers recent tweets on here.

He is clearly supporting Keegan on this one. Says he doesn't know what the club's issue with the article is and that the emotive statement reflects badly on the club.

I can't post tweets on this PC but perhaps someone who can, can post some of Matt Chambers recent tweets on here.

He is clearly supporting Keegan on this one. Says he doesn't know what the club's issue with the article is and that the emotive statement reflects badly on the club.

Hack supporting fellow hack is no big shock.

I don't think it reflects badly on club, just appears a bit odd if taken in isolation with that particular article.

Hack supporting fellow hack is no big shock.

I don't think it reflects badly on club, just appears a bit odd if taken in isolation with that particular article.

In my experience he's normally quite careful not to appear critical of the club. I think it's quite significant that he has on this occassion.

I have just been reading the statement again and I am still astounded at the way it is written ....the following two points especially !

1) "We often struggle to understand much of what is speculated about"

How about the unwillingness of the club for years to provide the fans with clear information which results in speculation.. :huh:

2) "Preferring to maintain a dignified silence in the face of sub standard and often plagiarised rumours from unofficial fan sites"

So take note all you falsifying pirates on this site you have been warned :busted:

I think the second one means the rumours on fan sites have been plagiarised by journos. Rather than fans being the plagiarisers. May be wrong.

I know the club gets hammered for lack of statements but after this maybe that's a good thing!

In my experience he's normally quite careful not to appear critical of the club. I think it's quite significant that he has on this occassion.

I think there have been times when there has been an eagerness from Chambers and Keegan to jump on a negative story.

On here/Twitter a rumour from someone 'in the know' turns into accepted fact very quickly.