Ripley - Still a possibility?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Placides ball won us the freekick that lead to bryans great strike today. 

But Fleetwood had two shots on target yesterday......

Defences gain confidence from keepers and last season was a great example of that, it's not about individuals but the sum of all the parts and that keeper/defensive unit last season just clicked, thats before you even look at the stats.

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Ripley would have saved many of the goals Placide has conceded.

The end.

That’s where i’m at to be honest, Placide clearly has better distribution, has created more “memorable” moments etc, but a GK’s primary job is to keep the ball out of the net, Ripley is better at that, especially 1 v 1.

People are so quick to forget. It happens all the time with ex players. Wellens, Porter, Hughes, gregan and many more and now Ripley. Regardless of how the team is set up, last year everyone was saying Ripley is the best they have seen for us. And now just cause placide can pass the ball, he’s better than Ripley. He’s our record clean sheet holder...

i like placide, more for entertainment value, but he’s not a patch on Ripley. 

16 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

People are so quick to forget. It happens all the time with ex players. Wellens, Porter, Hughes, gregan and many more and now Ripley. Regardless of how the team is set up, last year everyone was saying Ripley is the best they have seen for us. And now just cause placide can pass the ball, he’s better than Ripley. He’s our record clean sheet holder...

i like placide, more for entertainment value, but he’s not a patch on Ripley. 

Ripley my favourite keeper since Gerrard and I'd have had him back in a heartbeat. Just dont think now we have Placide it would be a necessary signing.

I think Ripley is the better keeper when it comes to shot stopping but Placide does have far better distribution.

I'd be happy with either. Just think that's our least concerning area to be spending money.

If we just had Wilson and Ruddy I'd be desperate for him back

Bury owner has admitted to Radio Manchester they need to move players out first. Not sure they need a keeper given their other problems. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Doyle go there for the injured Beckford. Heard Fleetwood and Scunny have had their offers accepted for him. 

28 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ripley my favourite keeper since Gerrard and I'd have had him back in a heartbeat. Just dont think now we have Placide it would be a necessary signing.

I think Ripley is the better keeper when it comes to shot stopping but Placide does have far better distribution.

I'd be happy with either. Just think that's our least concerning area to be spending money.

If we just had Wilson and Ruddy I'd be desperate for him back

Could not some it up better

How much leeway is Placide given because he is not as bad as the two previous clowns?

Ripley distribution is something that could improve over time but his natural saving and positioning ability means I vote for Ripley, but I would not be upset in any way by keeping Placide. If I was Bury and was looking at buying a replacement keeper Ripley would easily get my money. For mine he has more chance of making a return on my investment regarding a transfer to the big time.

12 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

Could not some it up better

How much leeway is Placide given because he is not as bad as the two previous clowns?

Ripley distribution is something that could improve over time but his natural saving and positioning ability means I vote for Ripley, but I would not be upset in any way by keeping Placide. If I was Bury and was looking at buying a replacement keeper Ripley would easily get my money. For mine he has more chance of making a return on my investment regarding a transfer to the big time.

In what way is Placide being given "leeway"?

He's here on a 2 year deal, not a loan (if that's what you meant by "keeping" him) 

10 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

In what way is Placide being given "leeway"?

He's here on a 2 year deal, not a loan (if that's what you meant by "keeping" him) 

Meaning he has escaped criticism that we normally dish out because he is way, way better than Wilson and Ruddy before him. To repeat I'm happy to keep him rather than sell him and replace with Ripley, and as others have mentioned we need other areas of the squad upgrading first.  But If I was starting afresh with no keeper in the squad I would choose Ripley first.

1 hour ago, oafcprozac said:

Bury owner has admitted to Radio Manchester they need to move players out first. Not sure they need a keeper given their other problems. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Doyle go there for the injured Beckford. Heard Fleetwood and Scunny have had their offers accepted for him. 

I havnt a clue where eoin Doyle lives, but if he,s in the Preston area and Fleetwood,s bid has been accepted, he wouldn't have to move. I think any chance on us getting our hands on him would depend on the new owner, who may have his own striker for us.

1 hour ago, Stagger Lee said:

Meaning he has escaped criticism that we normally dish out because he is way, way better than Wilson and Ruddy before him. 

When did he not receive criticism that he should have? 

Quite a few went past Ripley he could have done better with too. They can't save them all. 

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

But Fleetwood had two shots on target yesterday......

Defences gain confidence from keepers and last season was a great example of that, it's not about individuals but the sum of all the parts and that keeper/defensive unit last season just clicked, thats before you even look at the stats.

Didn't have a chance with either tbh. If you think ripley saves any of them. You've clearly had too much of the christmas sherry. 

57 minutes ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Didn't have a chance with either tbh. If you think ripley saves any of them. You've clearly had too much of the christmas sherry. 

Just to add to the debate, Ripley,s kicking and distribution wasn't great, remember it costing us at Preston, but goalkeepers are always in the firing line for mistakes, placide has mistakes in him.

42 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Told you.

Them darn bucket shakers

whatever we say, they must be able to pay people, wherever it comes from allegedly 

that’s a great signing for them , bet  Clarkey signing too made it an easy decision for Ripley