Ripley - Still a possibility?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

If it wasn't for Ripley we would be playing the likes of Accrington and Barnet this season so I for one ain't gonna knock him, of the 30 odd years I've been watching us its as good a season I have seen a keeper have for us and anything Johnny does this season won't eclipse that.

Bit of a daft comment! What if he scores a flying scissor kick in the playoff final to secure us promotion?

Dont think you can compare the two. They are/were both suited to the latics team they played in. Somehow can't see placide in a disciplined defensive unit with his flare approach and ultimately that's why he didn't get in shez's team. 

Edited by philliggi

57 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Dont think you can compare the two. They are/were both suited to the latics team they played in. Somehow can't see placide in a disciplined defensive unit with his flare approach and ultimately that's why he didn't get in shez's team. 

Nah, Shez just didn't want him in the squad.

2 hours ago, philliggi said:

It wasn't, was it? 

There seems to be this thing among some that because Placide is good with his feet & gives us a few heart in mouth moments he can't also be a really, really good goalkeeper. But he is. 

Both JP & RIpley can produce match winning saves but Placide edges it for me because of everything else he brings to the party. He created Holloways goal against Bury and has started off several goalscoring moves. Not to mention the number of times he's acted as an outfield player and been an outlet for a pass - this bit's intangible but has probably resulted in him affecting the game positively more than a few times....

That said, Ripley would probably be the better "investment" for the club if there was the chance to sign him in the future. 

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

There seems to be this thing among some that because Placide is good with his feet & gives us a few heart in mouth moments he can't also be a really, really good goalkeeper. But he is. 

Both JP & RIpley can produce match winning saves but Placide edges it for me because of everything else he brings to the party. He created Holloways goal against Bury and has started off several goalscoring moves. Not to mention the number of times he's acted as an outfield player and been an outlet for a pass - this bit's intangible but has probably resulted in him affecting the game positively more than a few times....

That said, Ripley would probably be the better "investment" for the club if there was the chance to sign him in the future. 

Added to that he's really very good at coming out and catching crosses.

Edited by nzlatic

I think it's fair to say not many would have bemoaned Ripley returning should he have done so. Nor would we have suffered the first two keepers entrusted at the start of the season or quite possibly the poor results start we had.

For me Ripley is the better shot stopper, Placide the better distributor and claimer of crosses. 

Palcide is much stronger in certain departments than Ripley kicking certainly being the main one but he also is more confident at claiming crosses.

Ripley is a better shot stopper with much better positioning.

who's better? Ripley's Latics record speaks for itself as does Johnny's.

Some will jump to Placide's defence and claim he's better and put the blame or praise on Clarke and Gerrard while forgetting we had Banks etc in midfield and defended constantly in the bottom 4 last season.

Only one keeper equalled the clean sheet record last season, it wont happen again for a long time but for the fickle as usual its a case of what have you done for me lately Connor who didn't do a Cryuff turn once that I recall?

Edited by palmer1

I think it's gone unnoticed but Placide made two very good saves against Northampton.

What Placide has and that is a rarity for League One keepers is that he is confident and capable to claim a cross and control his area. 

They're two both great keepers and I think we're lucky to again have a class keeper just one season after having the best Keeper we've had in 10 years. 

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

Palcide is much stronger in certain departments than Ripley kicking certainly being the main one but he also is more confident at claiming crosses.

Ripley is a better shot stopper with much better positioning.

who's better? Ripley's Latics record speaks for itself as does Johnny's.

Some will jump to Placide's defence and claim he's better and put the blame or praise on Clarke and Gerrard while forgetting we had Banks etc in midfield and defended constantly in the bottom 4 last season.

Only one keeper equalled the clean sheet record last season, it wont happen again for a long time but for the fickle as usual its a case of what have you done for me lately Connor who didn't do a Cryuff turn once that I recall?

Think he tried something away at Preston in the cup and made himself look like a right tit when he was dispossessed on the touchline and Preston went on to score, to be fair he learnt from it and didn't make the same mistake again, going back to the goal on Saturday it was clearly Gerrards fault, Placides only real error was not reacting quick enough,  he seemed to get caught on his heels and was slow to react after the initial fuck up, he could of then made a better attempt to keep the shot out but it didn't really matter as the game was already won.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Think he tried something away at Preston in the cup and made himself look like a right tit when he was dispossessed on the touchline and Preston went on to score, to be fair he learnt from it and didn't make the same mistake again, going back to the goal on Saturday it was clearly Gerrards fault, Placides only real error was not reacting quick enough,  he seemed to get caught on his heels and was slow to react after the initial fuck up, he could of then made a better attempt to keep the shot out but it didn't really matter as the game was already won.

Yes he did get caught at Preston and made it look bad by pressing the striker when he lost possession only to change his mind and run back to goal.

Wasn't there Saturday but video shows poor pass back, poor control. Part responsibility has to be taken by both men. Gerrard really put him under pressure when not needed but he shouldn't be blameless imo. Wrong decisions made by both. 

If you were at the game you would have seen a crass error by Gerrard when he passed the ball back at speed when he had other options.  Byrne ticked Gerrard off and not Johny.

It did however show how much our team has come to trust Johny.

Ripley and Placide are different.  Ripley did very well as the last line of defence and saved us from relegation.  Placide is doing very well as the first line of attack and with his excellent defensive work as well he is putting us in line for our highest finish for some years.  Cometh the team cometh the goal keeper.  Both were/are fantastic at this level but Johny is what we need now.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

It was Doyle who scored that goal at Preston, I think...

4 minutes ago, Hands on said:

If you were at the game you would have seen a crass error by Gerrard when he passed the ball back at speed when he had other options.  Byrne ticked Gerrard off and not Johny.

It did however show how much our team has come to trust Johny.

Ripley and Placide are different.  Ripley did very well as the last line of defence and saved us from relegation.  Placide is doing very well as the first line of attack and with his excellent defensive work as well he is putting us in line for our highest finish for some years.  Cometh the team cometh the goal keeper.  Both were/are fantastic at this level but Johny is what we need now.

The video showed a crass error from Gerrard putting Johnny under needless pressure. I think I mentioned that?

The video also showed Johnny shouldn't have tried to control it. One time clearance would have done the job which is decision making. 

6 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Not this bollocks again :rolleyes:

Must resist..... 

I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours. I thought this was a debating forum and not one where you agree to every thing that is posted.

Edited by Smiler13

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Both brilliant keepers especially at this level. Both do some things better than the other. Both will make the odd mistake. No keeper at any level is immune to making costly errors

I agree with you but if we had both on the books it would be difficult in choosing who should sit on the bench

7 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours. I thought this was a debating form and not one where you agree to every thing that is posted.

I'm just not having it that the reason Shez didn't pick Placide was anything to do with ability...and everything to do with the internal politics of players being forced upon him. To say Shez didn't fancy him is, in my opinion, bollocks.

Damn. I couldn't resist :hooked: