Ripley - Still a possibility?

16 minutes ago, RobOAFC said:

Did it a few times last season didn't he?

Yeah, definately at Chesterfield. I noticed in the line ups no keeper on bench then very early on Ripley went down holding his thigh, struggled the rest of the game.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

There's now a clear favourite in the Connor Ripley chase. May happen next day or so. Buy.

Not that I thought it would be if we're talking a decent fee, but in response to someone asking if it's us, he replied "not a chance"

1 hour ago, oafc_lover said:

If he signs for Bury I will be retiring from supporting football.

I'd hold your horses there - if it happens we'll get him for nothing in a few months when Bury go pop..

• 2 weeks later...

Like it or lump it Ripley is on a season long loan at Burton keeping the bench warm hence the Shez comment about people who would rather sit on the bench than play.  He got what he wanted in an extension of his contract at Boro.  We were played!

16 hours ago, Hands on said:

Like it or lump it Ripley is on a season long loan at Burton keeping the bench warm hence the Shez comment about people who would rather sit on the bench than play.  He got what he wanted in an extension of his contract at Boro.  We were played!

Agreed. The sad thing is football, especially higher up the leagues, is full of players who don't seem to really care about actually playing that much....it's all about the money these days and clubs like Middlesbrough are awash with TV cash so can have numerous squad and fringe players on the payroll for no particular reason whilst we scramble around trying to put together a ragtag squad....I feckin hate what Sky and the Premier league have done to the game

What a shame that Ripley may go down the same route but I guess £5k a week for doing a few mornings training is not a bad life and plenty of time with the wife and kids

11 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

What a shame that Ripley may go down the same route but I guess £5k a week for doing a few mornings training is not a bad life and plenty of time with the wife and kids

.. I'm sure I've read on here that there's some silly 'rules' that are tagged into loans etc ( iirc i read that some clubs insist that a player plays all the time or the club has to pay double the wage??) ..

anways .. maybe when he signed his new contract at 'boro and was allowed out on loan, it was on the proviso he only went to a championship club? .. and Burton were the only ones seemingly interested!  the downside for him is that he has to fight for a place, not guaranteed like it would have been for us!

Edited by thetramfixer

53 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

.. I'm sure I've read on here that there's some silly 'rules' that are tagged into loans etc ( iirc i read that some clubs insist that a player plays all the time or the club has to pay double the wage??) ..

anways .. maybe when he signed his new contract at 'boro and was allowed out on loan, it was on the proviso he only went to a championship club? .. and Burton were the only ones seemingly interested!  the downside for him is that he has to fight for a place, not guaranteed like it would have been for us!

I think it's more likely to be the contribution of wages that we could afford as opposed to Burton. Bad times when a club like Burton can pay more for a second string keeper than we can for one of the best keepers we have had at the club in many people lifetime! 

Edited by Blue_Guru

• 3 months later...

Just watching Cardiff on Tv.......what Latics fan  would have thought that Etheridge would be playing for the  second in the championship while Ripley is on the bench for the bottom of the league.....and think we have got a better keeper than him anyway

Cornell  will be playing for somebody!s first team next?

Edited by Magister
Omitted word

I know I am going to be unpopular when I say this but I think you are all deluded. I think we have a better goalkeeper now than Ripley. Ripley did a good job for us last season however every time he has played for Burton he’s shipped goals and sitting on a bench for half a season means that he’s not up to spead. His shot stopping was great last season but his distribution was very bad. Give me JP any day. 

39 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I know I am going to be unpopular when I say this but I think you are all deluded. I think we have a better goalkeeper now than Ripley. Ripley did a good job for us last season however every time he has played for Burton he’s shipped goals and sitting on a bench for half a season means that he’s not up to spead. His shot stopping was great last season but his distribution was very bad. Give me JP any day. 

I am inclined to agree. 

If it wasn't for Ripley we would be playing the likes of Accrington and Barnet this season so I for one ain't gonna knock him, of the 30 odd years I've been watching us its as good a season I have seen a keeper have for us and anything Johnny does this season won't eclipse that.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If it wasn't for Ripley we would be playing the likes of Accrington and Barnet this season so I for one ain't gonna knock him, of the 30 odd years I've been watching us its as good a season I have seen a keeper have for us and anything Johnny does this season won't eclipse that.

Apart from the fact the whole team was built to defend not concede and maybe grab a winner, Clarke was in the form of his life. Ripley would have struggled in this team and with his distribution he would have have held us back. Jonny p for me!