Ripley - Still a possibility?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I'm just not having it that the reason Shez didn't pick Placide was anything to do with ability...and everything to do with the internal politics of players being forced upon him. To say Shez didn't fancy him is, in my opinion, bollocks.

Damn. I couldn't resist :hooked:

I agree that Shez has been unduly criticised by some on here after he's gone. I also agree there were politics for him to contend with (the interviews look to confirm that). Fact is though, Placide was available and he preserved alternating two second rate keepers. It was either due to poor judgement or stubbornness. Wrong call either way.

Edited by longtimeblue

2 hours ago, Hands on said:

If you were at the game you would have seen a crass error by Gerrard when he passed the ball back at speed when he had other options.  Byrne ticked Gerrard off and not Johny.

It did however show how much our team has come to trust Johny.

Ripley and Placide are different.  Ripley did very well as the last line of defence and saved us from relegation.  Placide is doing very well as the first line of attack and with his excellent defensive work as well he is putting us in line for our highest finish for some years.  Cometh the team cometh the goal keeper.  Both were/are fantastic at this level but Johny is what we need now.

Agree with this. They are completely different players who worked in completely different circumstances, and it's almost unfair to compare them.

I think Ripley is the better shot stopper (although Placide isn't bad) and clearly Placide is the better distributor.

I think Ripley was better suited to the way we played last season (i.e. trying to nick a goal and then defending the box trying to hold on) but he would clearly struggle to play the role Wellens wants his keeper to play this season  (i.e. sweeper keeper/orchestrator of attacks) which Placide is  so comfortable with.

Both are  the right keeper for the style of play during their time in the team.

27 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

I agree that Shez has been unduly criticised by some on here after he's gone. I also agree there were politics for him to contend with (the interviews look to confirm that). Fact is though, Placide was available and he preserved alternating two second rate keepers. It was either due to poor judgement or stubberness. Wrong call either way.

Agree 100%

4 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I think it's gone unnoticed but Placide made two very good saves against Northampton.

What Placide has and that is a rarity for League One keepers is that he is confident and capable to claim a cross and control his area. 

They're two both great keepers and I think we're lucky to again have a class keeper just one season after having the best Keeper we've had in 10 years. 

<Ahem> Not quite unnoticed... see penultimate line in my post on Sunday ?

On 10/12/2017 at 8:09 AM, TheBigDog said:

Had a 9 hour round trip yesterday but it was worth it ?

A few observations:

Football superstitions - Richie Wellens spent the first half not wearing a jacket. At the start of the second half, he came out well wrapped up and then promptly discarded the jacket when Northampton scored!

Flynn came on late to shore up the midfield but seemed to have a specific role in calming Fane down. On numerous occasions he would talk to him and reassure.

When he came on, O’Toole for Northampton was more interested in niggling our players than playing football. Aptly named methinks.

Doyle had a tough day playing as a lone striker - but he never stopped running and his movement is first class.

Gerrard, backpass apart, was outstanding.

Placide made two outstanding saves.

Happy daze ?

1 hour ago, bozman said:

I think Ripley was better suited to the way we played last season (i.e. trying to nick a goal and then defending the box trying to hold on) but he would clearly struggle to play the role Wellens wants his keeper to play this season  (i.e. sweeper keeper/orchestrator of attacks) which Placide is  so comfortable with.

Ripley can't do what Placide does but I see no reason why Placide couldn't have been just as good for us as Ripley was in last seasons style of play...

Unbelievable & weird really that we've been priveleged to see two such great Oldham goalkeepers (and I already consider them both as greats) in a period where we've not quite managed to get higher than 16th in League One :lol:

3 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

I agree that Shez has been unduly criticised by some on here after he's gone. I also agree there were politics for him to contend with (the interviews look to confirm that). Fact is though, Placide was available and he preserved alternating two second rate keepers. It was either due to poor judgement or stubbornness. Wrong call either way.

I’ll agree on the stubbornness. Which I’m extremely grateful for coz without his stance & stubbornness I doubt we would’ve got Byrne, Bryan and Doyle in. Anyway, this Shez topic is has been done. Until someone next slates Shez over why he wouldn’t play Placide ?

Edited by boundaryblue80

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You may well be rIght but he's let a few in. If it weren't for the entertainment value he may come in for more criticism.

I agree he’s not beyond blame but I don’t think Ripley would fit into our team - we rely a lot on Placide’s distribution which is very good, Ripley’s was awful 

12 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

I agree he’s not beyond blame but I don’t think Ripley would fit into our team - we rely a lot on Placide’s distribution which is very good, Ripley’s was awful 

I'd still take Ripley but I'm in a minority, he was good at keeping it out of the net which I put in front of distribution.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

I'd still take Ripley but I'm in a minority, he was good at keeping it out of the net which I put in front of distribution.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

In a team set up to defend against all else - and with a good defence in front of him, I just dont think he’d be as good in this team with how we play 

58 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

In a team set up to defend against all else - and with a good defence in front of him, I just dont think he’d be as good in this team with how we play 

Do you think last seasons defence was better than this? I don't - we certainly didn't have anyone with Kean Bryan's quality, okay the midfield was more protective last season but I still think many underestimate just how good he was.

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Has Placide made any notable blunders?

Notable- Not really.

Blunders- Couple of very poor walls at set-pieces. MK Dons immediately springs to mind. Plus the backpass against Northampton, but Gerrard needs a lot of blame for that.

His distribution has been worth a couple of goals too. Something that you'd struggle to say about Ripley.

1 minute ago, RoytonLatics said:

Whilst Ripley had some great performances last year, it's easy to forget how good Clarke was last season. Without him it could've been a very different season. I think his performances made the difference in the end. 

It's easy enough, Ripley saved 80% of all the shots on targets he faced, that's very high.